Treasure Hunting With Friends and Relatives,What if????

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Sorry to start a controversial thread but is there some unwritten rule about detecting with friends or relatives?. Say you've researched for months ,take your brother to an old undetected home site and the first thing he digs up is a gold coin worth thousands!!! ;D
I know the odds of that happening but what if?,I just figure it should be finders keepers since he'll be taking me to good sites in his neck of the woods, but should we discuss ahead of time about maybe splitting the proceeds on a really valuable coin?? Thanks for any input on what could be a touchy subject,
Jerry

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely not In my opinion.
It's there find.

As far as I'm concerned There is an Unspoken Rule
That if a Cache or Treasure is dug, it gets Shared with all present.

I'm not talking a small Chicklets container, Coin Purse,
A Large Drop, or a Wallet with No ID just Cash.

I'm talking a Large Obvious Cache.
MASON JAR, Package of Bills, an obvious Buried Gold Bar or bars
(not Dropped) etc.

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Kill him and take it! Just kidding!

I have no idea what the accepted rules are for this. Small finds or stuff you can't effectively divvy up I imagine that it would be finders keepers. For large items that can be shared it might be different, especially if you found something because someone brought you to that neat site.

The best way to avoid grief however (though not fool proof) would be to make an agreement before you hit a site, just so everyone is clear on what is expected should that valuable item turn up!

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
What you find if what you keep. What if you are a better detectorist than the relative you bring along? Do you want to do all the hard detecting and hand over half of what you find? I didn't think so :wink:

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
The first timer is usually the lucky one, I would love to divide up with them. Gnewt

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Farmercal said:
What you find if what you keep. What if you are a better detectorist than the relative you bring along? Do you want to do all the hard detecting and hand over half of what you find? I didn't think so :wink:

Good points, also why I think regardless on what anyone THINKS should be done, that all parties agree beforehand how things will be divided, if at all. That way everyone knows in advance what to expect if someone finds a cache. Yes, they may be a better detectorist, but they may have also just gotten lucky. How would you feel if you, out of the goodness of your heart, brought your brother, brand new to the hobby, to a site you wanted to work, and the dang fool hit a cache, a cache that would have been yours if you weren't so darn nice? I would feel a little bitter.

Still, if it were me, and even if we all agreed that the finder keeps everything he finds, I would still feel obligated to give at least part of that cache to the person who was kind enough to let me work the site that he had researched and thought of.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Splitting a cache

There are several different ways.

Lay it all out & Pick back & forth
pic by dates and/0r denominations/ types

put it in a pot & pic without knowing what you will get

cash it all in and split the earnings

and of course if there is one extra it goes to the finder as a bonus.

Of course all depends on How close a group you are, on a surprise cache find
as to Whether you feel this all needs to be worked out in advance,
or if you feel comfortale waiting till the time comes.

On a Intentional Cache/Treasure Hunt I would consider hashing out things in advance.

It is Probably Wise to advise a Newbie beforehand,
as they are less likely to think in these terms

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
if i wanted to take someone i would take them to a site where they have a good chace at finding somethang but as for a site that i researched for months i would want to go there first by myself ;D :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
handy said:
if i wanted to take someone i would take them to a site where they have a good chace at finding somethang but as for a site that i researched for months i would want to go there first by myself ;D :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:
Wise idea! However with my luck I would do the research, go a few times, find a few little trinkets, then invite someone, and they would start pulling up gold bars!

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
if they get gold bars then charge them for the ride home :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you have a prehunt agreement as to the splitting of finds, any find is the finders. One point I would like to make is: "In MD if a buried or hidden treasure cache is found, one not lost or dropped by accident, the owner of the land is the owner of the find." Does anyone know if your state is the same?

Ed D.

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off one of my detecting partner/friends Nana40 (Donna) is a much better detectorist than I and I don't expect her to share her finds with me.
Second, the person that finds/gets permission/researches a site, it is considered their site and the others in our trio don't hunt it without them.
On the other hand we have sites we find and get permission for together. Any of us hunt it at any time.
On one of these particular shared sites I found a toy/jewelry/misc. cache a couple of weeks ago while hunting with Donna. Nothing to make us rich but great fun.
Anyhoo, I had found the initial cache spot but I called Donna over to help me dig it all out and share in the excitement. Anything I could remember that she pulled out I gave to her, then shared the duplicate items like marbles, cars, tanks, playmoney.
I never thought twice about sharing the experience or the cache.
Now if one of us pulls out a coin worth big bucks, I say whoever found it keeps it and more power to them. No matter who's site it is.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
If you are gonna get whinny because they found a treasure and not you, or, if you are not willing to share - then hunt alone, period.

Otherwise, be cool, and be ready to get skunked! It happens. I hunt alone or with only ONE other person, the same person... if with anyone.

Greed can ruin the experience - be prepared.

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Montana Jim said:
If you are gonna get whinny because they found a treasure and not you, or, if you are not willing to share - then hunt alone, period.

Otherwise, be cool, and be ready to get skunked! It happens. I hunt alone or with only ONE other person, the same person... if with anyone.

Greed can ruin the experience - be prepared.
[Getting skunked by my brother is nothing new,we've been fishing together for 40 years ;D ,this was never about greed or not being willing to share but money can come between the best of friends and i thought it might be better to address the finding of a cache or gold bar ahead of time(we did) and no cache or gold bar came up) but he did dig his first Indian Head,a Barber,and a Merc on my site with his fresh out of the box Explorer SE and that made my day]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions