mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I took my OLD bounty hunter (big bud)to a field used as a camp and it was non-stop beeps. I tried to eliminate continuous lines thinking it was probably old fence wire or something like it, but still it was constant! I talked to the owner & he said he didn't remember fences ever being up in the field, I know in our area there were a lot of lead mines, & perhaps there is too much lead in the soil. the majority of the soil is a heavy clay. there have been many points found at this location, there is a spring, & a big cave across the river for bad winters. I was hoping to find some trade silver or jewelry, but I would be digging the whole field if I went by the beeps. I did dig one spot in the middle of the field & found lots of flakes, & charcoal, but nothin else. any hints on what I should do?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Maybe a detector upgrade is in order :thumbsup:

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel, Tesoro Cibola, CZ-7A Pro
I've run the big bud detector and found a few sites that would make it go crazy, must be heavy mineralization,others it would do fine, any over head powerlines? Actually found my 1st silver with the big bud

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
thanx guys a new MD is definitely a must but not a possibility. no overhead power lines. but probably a lot of lead in the soil. Oh well. I think I will just pick a spot & dig. & thanx for the link Montana, am going there now. am anxious to get to the cave, but the flooding has made it to difficult.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
finding "flakes and charcoal"? Those aren't metal. Why are you finding those? Maybe I don't understand your question?

Here in CA, we hunt some transition/assimiliation indian sites, and do indeed find trade items. Sounds like you have a detector problem. You have to determine what your detector is sounding off on, to know why/what you should do.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I just gave up on the detector & started digging just on a hunch. all I found were flakes from knapping, & charcoal from a fire. after leaving the field, I went to an old school site & the detector was fine. although I just found "slaw".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread