Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    846 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking

native american site

I took my OLD bounty hunter (big bud)to a field used as a camp and it was non-stop beeps. I tried to eliminate continuous lines thinking it was probably old fence wire or something like it, but still it was constant! I talked to the owner & he said he didn't remember fences ever being up in the field, I know in our area there were a lot of lead mines, & perhaps there is too much lead in the soil. the majority of the soil is a heavy clay. there have been many points found at this location, there is a spring, & a big cave across the river for bad winters. I was hoping to find some trade silver or jewelry, but I would be digging the whole field if I went by the beeps. I did dig one spot in the middle of the field & found lots of flakes, & charcoal, but nothin else. any hints on what I should do?
    dancing in the fire!

Jan 2007
    Punta Gorda FL
    EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

Re: native american site

Maybe a detector upgrade is in order

us
    Feb 2006
    South Eastern,US
    Fisher ID Excel, Tesoro Cibola, CZ-7A Pro

I've run the big bud detector and found a few sites that would make it go crazy, must be heavy mineralization,others it would do fine, any over head powerlines? Actually found my 1st silver with the big bud
    Wonder where I'll go next??

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    22 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Something to read... I linked the cached page because the other was not opening.

Maybe there is an answer in there someplace. It does talk about the Big Bud.f "N/T falsing in certain situatons... I have no idea.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    846 times

thanx guys a new MD is definitely a must but not a possibility. no overhead power lines. but probably a lot of lead in the soil. Oh well. I think I will just pick a spot & dig. & thanx for the link Montana, am going there now. am anxious to get to the cave, but the flooding has made it to difficult.
    dancing in the fire!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1784 times
    Banner Finds (3)

finding "flakes and charcoal"? Those aren't metal. Why are you finding those? Maybe I don't understand your question?

Here in CA, we hunt some transition/assimiliation indian sites, and do indeed find trade items. Sounds like you have a detector problem. You have to determine what your detector is sounding off on, to know why/what you should do.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    846 times

I just gave up on the detector & started digging just on a hunch. all I found were flakes from knapping, & charcoal from a fire. after leaving the field, I went to an old school site & the detector was fine. although I just found "slaw".
    dancing in the fire!

Sponsors