A good word about Bounty Hunter

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
When I bought my Discovery 3300 recently it came with a foam handgrip that was split. It didn't bother my hand particularly since I wear cotton gloves when I detect but it was a sore sight. I had read in these forums about how good some manufacturers treated the posters so I gave it a try and wrote to BH about acquiring a new handgrip. I offered to pay but hoping for a freebie.

The first time they sent me the wrong thing which I couldn't use. I didn't want to bother them and a week or two passed before I read, again, how someone requested and got locking collars for their rods. My rod sections are pretty tight so I didn't want to go that route. But I did write again and this time I included photos of my ripped handgrip and a photo of another of their detectors' handgrip so that there would be no question as to what I needed. I received a call from Veronica Castro who put me through to someone that would get the piece from stock according to my instructions to him.

About a week after we spoke I received in the mail a foam handgrip. It wasn't as thick as the one that came with the detector but it was a good replacement. I eventually worked it up to the S-shape and it's tight on the tube and comfortable.

When Veronica asked me if my detector was still under warranty I told her no but it didn't matter they still serviced me as they must do with their valued customer and I appreciate it very much.

SF

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
My first MD was a BH. I loved that machine and still do!

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Montana Jim said:
Bounty Hunter... :thumbsup:

Nice to see someone post about them and NOT say the words "cheap" and "starter".
I won't use the words "cheap" and "starter" because they make high-tech equipment which has to be competitive and they do offer a 5-year guarantee with their new units. "Better built" units from other manufacturers still have their problems as mentioned in these forums. However, I do have one complaint about my detector and it does have to do with quality control.

My GB button is attached to a shaft which is not solid and wiggles due to the front panel through which the shaft protudes having a bigger hole than the shaft diameter. I'm looking to fix this by finding a plastic washer with just the right size center hole that will allow me to slip the shaft through without wiggling. I would then use one of those super-glues to attach the washer to the front panel.

The only reason I can see for this lack of thinking on whoever designed the front panel is that possibly a thicker shaft was planned, the hole drilled, then something happened and a thinner shaft was used. But they had to be aware of the play and they should have done what I plan to do. They could have done it internally, I have to do it externally. THIS is not good.

How many of you 3300 owners have this big hole vs. small shaft and does the wiggling bother you? It bothers me.

SF

Attachments

• BH DISC. 3300 GB.JPG
    BH DISC. 3300 GB.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 330

NewbieTR

Dec 31, 2007
Memphis
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Quick Draw II
Montana Jim said:

Nice to see someone post about them and NOT say the words "cheap" and "starter".

Montana, I appreciate you saying that. I was starting to feel a little bad about having one :-)

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No im sure Silverfox took it is the off for us to see better. I too have the 3300 and the hole is the same as yours. The reason im thinking is that in order to take the houseing apart, the face plate "sticker" has to be peeled off to expose the screws. Silverfox, as hard as i have used my 3300 "alot of beach hunting too" i never had a problem with the balance knob or size of the hole.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
NewbieTR said:
Montana Jim said:

Montana, I appreciate you saying that. I was starting to feel a little bad about having one :-)

Don't get sucked in... you have what you have... enjoy it! Look past the comments of others who like to talk about what they swing... it's a hobby, not a contest.

I also liked the 1964 Dodge Darts... :)

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Nothing wrong with Bounty Hunters. My daughter's detector is a Radio Shack version of one, the Discovery 2200. On days I will admit it, it does go deeper than my TreasureAce 250. Got it for a steal at the Radio Shack clearance, $49.00. It has more than paid for itself.

DM

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
EZrider said:
No im sure Silverfox took it is the off for us to see better. I too have the 3300 and the hole is the same as yours. The reason im thinking is that in order to take the houseing apart, the face plate "sticker" has to be peeled off to expose the screws. Silverfox, as hard as i have used my 3300 "alot of beach hunting too" i never had a problem with the balance knob or size of the hole.
You be right, I did take the knob off to show the larger-than-the-shaft hole. I would not consider doing anything to the housing and can live with the shaft having a little play. I just don't like shoddiness. But, like I said, I can fix it simply by finding a small-diameter plastic washer with a hole big enough to allow me to put it over the shaft without restricting the turning of the shaft. It'll make me feel better. It's something that I'll get around to eventually.

On your beach hunting, are you able to GB the detector without running out of juice, as far as being able to turn the GB button and/or SENSITIVITY just before max? I plan to go to Coney Island in the next couple of weeks and also Long Beach on Long Island. I've been offered companionship by a TNETer to do Pelham Bay Park which is adjacent to Orchard Beach. So I'll be finding out for myself on various sand conditions.

One of the reasons I got this detector was the inclusion of the GB button which I read was a desirable feature for the beach on the Land Star, which I considered getting before the 3300 became available at le$$. And this 3300 is light!

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we have 3 bounty hunters , and i know i'll never part with my landstar and the wife still uses her titan 3000, good machines :thumbsup:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
rather than using a washer, see if you can find a sleeve for it. or try a barrel from a pen cut down to fit

Sniffer

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Sniffer said:
rather than using a washer, see if you can find a sleeve for it. or try a barrel from a pen cut down to fit

Sniffer
Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions, Sniffer, I appreciate them but I don't want to use anything that'll go inside the housing. I want to stay on the outside and be safe. Although just this minute I thought of a short, T-shaped plastic tube with an outside diameter that'll just fit in the faceplate hole but with the inner hole just big enough to accept the shaft. The the top of the T is a washer type. Maybe I'll just leave the damn thing alone! :icon_study:

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
you really seem to enjoy using your detector what ever the brand its fun to get out and detect

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Do you like your detector? Do you know your detector? Does it make finds? Do you love this hobby? Problem solved!
My two cents..
Baggins

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
I bought the top model Radio Shack had to offer 3 years ago $229.00 I think it was a Bounty Hunter?

I FOUND A SEATED LIBERTY SILVER QUARTER WITHIN THE FIRST 5 MINUTES WITH IT IN SOME FILL DIRT THAT HAD BEEN DUMPED BEHIND A NEW BANK.

FOR THE MONEY, IT WAS WORTH THE MACHINE.
SCOTT

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I started out with an 1100 and had a 2200 for a really short time, so nostalgia for me when I see these machines. I would love to give a 3300 a try some day just to see how much juice the discovery line has, as I think this is the top end of that line.

madmacabre

Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
Ive had my new metal detector for a month now but havent had to call customer service yet but seeing so much success stories Im fairly confident that ill be treated right, not like most other expensive electronic products Ive bought in the past. For example , IPODS, mp3 players and cameras. If you break em , your stuck >:( >:( >:( >:(

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ricardo_NY1 said:
I started out with an 1100 and had a 2200 for a really short time, so nostalgia for me when I see these machines. I would love to give a 3300 a try some day just to see how much juice the discovery line has, as I think this is the top end of that line.
Ricardo: You don't have to wait for that "some day" - just send me a U.S. Postal Money Order for $155 and I'll ship it to you anywhere in the contiguous 48 states, insured. Let me know.

Edward
Silver Fox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread