I AM FED UP!!! Time to upgrade!!! ***please read and give me your opinion***

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
I have been using a Bounty Hunter 505 for the last 4 months and I am fed up. Best finds include 1899 Indian Head penny my first day (4 inches down in my yard)....and then nothing for a long long time. I found a couple of silver rings in a park (in the rocks about 2 inches down) a few weeks later. I have found a 1950's gas station sign in a ghost town (huge and 6 inches down). I have found numerous whatzits about 4 to 6 inches down (all large) and about 20 wheaties (the deepest being about 5 inches down). Sounds great right??? Wrong. Most of these were about 3 to 5 (maybe 6) inches down. NOTHING DEEPER. It wouldn't bother me so much if I had been hunting in places built in the 1920's and maybe hunted a few times, but these are places that were built in the 1880's and never hunted before (still in the original family's possession). I have found about 25 dollars in clad, all within the 1-4 inch range save for a few lucky shots at the 5 inch range. All of those found at the 5-6 inch range read like trash, with a jumping random signal that made me curious enough to dig. I even buried a dime at about 5 inches down and scanned it with fresh batteries and it read anywhere from a pull tab at 4 inches to a dollar at 10 (and I dug all iron and pull tabs and clad in the vicinity). That's JUST 5 inches! I have heard of people digging dimes at eight inches!!! The deepest dime I have ever dug was about 3 inches unless it had a bunch of pennies in the same hole or I buried it. I am pulling shallow wheat from the nineteen teens, but I can't find a piece of silver to save my life! I did a farm house (and the guy had money) from the 1880's. Gridded off the front yard and dug HUNDREDS of targets (iron to clean it out and coins...well, to find coins) and no silver.
I thought I was just holding my mouth wrong until last weekend. I dug my first silver coin (3 1/2 months into the hunt) and it was a 1939 quarter. It was 8 inches down, and read anywhere from pull tab to penny/dime, to even foil. If people can dig a dime at eight inches, and it reads as a dime, I should be able to do the same. I did find a watch fob last weekend...that was cool. It was only 3 inches down though.
I can assure you that its not lack of experience with this detector. I was in a position to spend about 5 hours a day, 5 days a week (at least) metal detecting and I have become proficient enough to tell rather or not the pull tab was a complete or just the ring (sometimes), and I OFTEN used my fingers to dig out coins instead of a coin probe, or digging a plug. I have used every mode on this detector and they all have problems (I will spare you the explanation due to varying models that will read this). I have had as many false signals than real signals, no matter where I put the sensitivity or discrimination. Some metal detectors are susceptible to halo iron signals, some are nearly defeated by them (like mine).
I have heard people say that the best time to find deep silver is to go after a nice rain....well, I did today and I had a case of the running penny. Curious what that is? I'll explain! I get a solid zinc penny signal (same as an Indian Head) 4 inches down. I dig a larger than normal hole, about 6 inches deep and scan the removed plug...nothing. So I scan the hole...nothing. I then scan the side and it says it's in the side. So, I dig another deep plug, scan and...nothing. I then rescan the hole....nothing, I then scan around the hole, and...there it is, a penny or by now, a pull tab/nickle signal yet again on the same side...about 5 inches further. Make a long story short, I dig a foot wide 6 to 9 inch deep hole, and the signal disappears (and I always make sure to scan the dirt, plugs, side, and dirt stuck to the shovel, gloves, hands...). I guess the penny got away. You want to talk about frustration! I can't get the darn thing to either stay in the all metal mode or trac to an exceptable level. These are temporary problems that occur at random times. I guess you get what you pay for ($300).
I have decided to upgrade to a new White's M6 or a used DFX (used makes me nervous). I don't like the looks of the UMax, XTerra, or any others really. I am going to get something that displays a VDI number as well. I just like the idea of having one more tool in my shop. Please tell me what you think. I "treasure" the experience and knowledge of you treasure netters! Let me know what you think about this situation, and if you are experiencing the same problems, and if you have an opinion on the White's, tell me what you like/dislike about them (just the M6, E-Series, MXT XLT DFX etc. I want VDI, so no Prizms) Thank you so much in advance!!!

~Tom

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I AM FED UP!!! Time to upgrade!!! ***please read and give me your opinion**

i read the fist sentence nothing more upgrade tesoro

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Don't hit me flyer...

But it sounds like everything is normal...

#1 - The deaper the targets the "iffier" the signal usually are.
#2 - Don't believe everything you read from others...
#3 - You're prolly not finding silver because there IS no silver there.

People over estimate depth sometimes...

The only reason you should have to mistrust the machine is if yer partner had a different machine and was finding everything you passed up, and, side by side comparisons were done "in field conditions" showing you that your machine sucks.

Maybe there is no silver where you hunt, so - you don't find any? Just because someone had money, or even kids, will never mean that they lost money all over the yard. Or lost anything for that matter.

Maybe you have a lemon... I dunno. My 505 finds the tiniest gold & silver of all sizes, old and new coins, large and small trash. Deciding what to dig remains my biggest delema... and I know my machine well. Everything will not, I say again... everything WILL NOT read in the nice & neat pre-packaged scales on the display like it's "suppossed" to. NO machine is THAT accurate! Some may define the object better than others, but if it beeps, it's a target, and it sounds like you are digging plenty!

IMHO :tard:

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks a lot MJ. With your 505 have you ever had the problem of the running penny? I have had it with a few diff zinc penny, regular penny/dime, and even quarter signals...and have you had probs with the all metal mode completely desensitizing while you dig, and then not able to scan your plug w/o ressetting the all metal mode? Thanks again!

~Tom

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
ashleysflyr said:
Thanks a lot MJ. With your 505 have you ever had the problem of the running penny? I have had it with a few diff zinc penny, regular penny/dime, and even quarter signals...and have you had probs with the all metal mode completely desensitizing while you dig, and then not able to scan your plug w/o ressetting the all metal mode? Thanks again!

~Tom

I never use "All Metal Mode"

I always use some discrimination... even if just a little, and usually it's just a little.

Running penny? You mean you keep chasing the target around never seeming to be able to pinpoint it?

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Montana Jim said:
ashleysflyr said:

~Tom

I never use "All Metal Mode"

I always use some discrimination... even if just a little, and usually it's just a little.

Running penny? You mean you keep chasing the target around never seeming to be able to pinpoint it?

Most of the time I can pin point with accuracy enough to use my index finger and poke it into the ground to retrieve the coin. Today, I chased a few coin signals. I get a solid hit, pinpoint like I usually do, and dig, nothing in the plug or the hole, but there is...let's say, on the right side. So I dig a new plug on the right side. I check the plug, and nothing. So I check the hole, nothing is there, then I check the side, and there is another signal on the right side of the new hole. So I dig yet another plug, and the same thing. After I have dug over a foot wide elliptical hole, the signal disappears, leaving me bewildered. It happened to me 4 times today (my last day with this detector) and I lost my mind.
When I said all metal I meant pinpoint all metal. Sorry for the confusion.
I have buried a dime at 5 and 6 inches, in an area I thouroughly cleaned of all signals. Both times the clad dime read as everything from nickle to pull tabs, to pennys/dimes, to halves at all depths. That is really discouraging. I have watched someones video of them diggin a dime at 6 inches with a White's, and it told him it was a dime. His was clad as well. I just don't get why I have hunted 8 sites (one extremely thouroughly, the rest several times), all 1920's to 1880's and never dug a silver (save for one quarter at 8 inches that read as I previously mentioned and one 1943 nickle at 4 inches). I understand that some places just don't have silver, but why have I never dug a dime deeper than 3 inches? I have taken the "dig everything" approach, and the dig repeatable signals approach, and even the spend hours clearing out all signals with the 4 inch, and more with the 8 inch approach (at the 1880's farm house, in about a 15 foot by 15 foot area) and have had meager success. Don't get me wrong, I am greatful for the finds I have found, but I see some people in nearby small town Indiana and small town Iowa, and even St. Louis digging awesome finds on a daily basis. I have done my research and my fair share of asking for permission, and have access to a lot of GREAT places, I just feel that I am not making the finds I could make or the finds I see others making.
I had better quit before I start whining, I am just trying to figure out why I have to TRY and try hard for a penny at 5 to 6 inches (that reads from pull tab to S Cap to zinc, to penny). And I want to know if anyone with these white machines are having the same or similar problems with theirs.

~Tom

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I'll be watching your posts... :) I know you're about to crap-can the 505. :'(

Best of luck - and I wish you more, deaper, and silver with your next machine. :thumbsup:

Of course... let us know how it goes and hit those old areas again to see what you missed...

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks again MJ, my BH actually just shot craps on me about an hour ago. I guess it's a sign...lol Now trying to learn more about the MXT M6 and DFX...

~Tom

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
ashleysflyr said:
Thanks again MJ, my BH actually just shot craps on me about an hour ago. I guess it's a sign...lol Now trying to learn more about the MXT M6 and DFX...

~Tom

If you can fly a helicopter - you can figure them out. :thumbsup:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you're looking at the M6, DFX etc. I'd go for the MXT as it has the prospecting mode and I'll admit I'm prejudiced as I love mine. That series has a good selection of coils as well. Only complaint is the weight, but I'm coming from several Tesoro dig and beep machines which I also still use, so any thing seems heavy comparably. Speaking of which, it's pretty hard to beat the Tesoros if you like the beep and dig versus the ID machines.
My two bits,
Bill

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks luvsdux, I am kind of partial to the ID machines, but you have inspired me to look further into the MXT, I am beginning to hear a lot about them. I don't plan on ever going prospecting, however; it's nice to have the options and the controlability.

~Tom

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Just curious why you won't consider a tesoro. I got a cortez(upgrade from a BH), and I love it. I have no problem hitting dimes at 6-8", and quarters MUCH deeper. I once got a flying eagle that must have been near 12" down. The price isn't bad, and the TID is really, REALLY accurate. It pinpoints spot-on. The learning curve is also very quick. I guess my advice is don't write anything off. If you get the chance, try one, you just might like it. I will say that when I can acquire the funds, I do wanna get a minelab, but my little cortez will work just fine 'til then.

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
I WENT TO A FOOTBALL FEILD THAT TURNED UP $23.15 IN CLAD IN 4.5 HOURS AND THERE IS STILL MORE
MY DFX WAS SO ACCURATE AND PRECISE ON IDENTIFICATION DIMES, QUARTERS !!!!!!!
LIKE 97% OF THE TIME IT SAID DIME IT WAS A DIME.
100% IT SAID VDI#83 QUARTER IT WAS A QUARTER.
ONE TIME I DUG A CLAD DIME 7 INCHES, COULDNT BELIEVE IT, BECUASE IT ID LIKE IT WAS 2 INCHES DEEP

NOW PENNYS JUMP A LITTLE BECUASE NEW AND OLD PENNYS DIFFER IN COMPOSITION BUT ID AT ABOUT 90%
NICKLES ARE THE SAME BECAUSE PULL TABS MESS WITH MY MIND.

I HAD 2 WEEKS WHERE I THOUGHT MY DFX WAS OVER RATED AND WAS MISSING TARGETS,
I NOW REALIZE THAT I WAS JUST HUNTING SITES THAT WERE THIN.

MY DFX PROVED ITSELF AT THE SIGHT THAT WAS LOADED.

I DO BELIEVE THERE ARE COINS 8-12 INCHES THATS WHY I AM GETTING THE SUPER 12 LOOP.

MOST IMPORTANT, IF YOU GET THE DFX, SELECT THE EEPROMS DEEP SILVER PROGRAM,
THEN SCROLL DOWN AND TURN OFF THE MIXED MODE.
YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO SET ANYTHING ELSE BUT SENSITIVITY ONCE AND A WHILE.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Tom, Before you know for sure what detector you should buy you have to answer a couple of questions.....

1) What do you want to find? (coins, relics, jewelry, raw gold, etc)
2) Where will you be looking for it? (parks, farms, beaches, old home sites)
3) What are your ground conditions? (good or bad (mineralization))
4) What features besides a VDI # are important to you?
5) Is the weight of the machine and issue for you?
6) If you detect with others, what brand of detector do they use? (interference)

Don't buy a detector because someone else likes it. Buy one that will fit YOUR needs and conditions.

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Goldfish,
I don't want a tesoro because, man they are ugly ;D No, just kidding...I really don't like the look. I have a friend in my local area and he is having some amazing success with his white's (he's even on this forum). We don't hunt together much, so I don't think interferance will be a problem. I also reacted like that because EDDE is just a little abrasive (his personality). He's very knowledgable and I wouldn't hesitate to ask him a question, but my personality and his don't match. I'll get over it

DFX-Scott
Thanks a lot for the info. I am kind of leaning toward the MXT now, simply because I found a dealer selling them brand new for $720 and it's local, only an hour away! I hear a lot of people that owned a DFX say they like the MXT just as much. I will upgrade eventually, but for now, I think I am gonna go with the MXT...I don't know though...

nc-joe
I will most likely be using it in the mid west to coin/relic shoot. But I will take your advice and by the one that's right for me!

Thanks a lot everyone!!!

~Tom

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Pioneer 202 that just gives me fits.....good thing I bought it on clearance at WallyWorld for 20 bucks!!! It DOES work, and I HAVE found coins with it, but it didn't take me long to realize that it just wasn't doing the job. So after jumping around experimenting with a Tesoro Eldorado (didn't like it!), and a Shadow X2 (loved it, wish I still had one!), finally settling on an Explorer XS because I had a little extra money at the time and the BossLady said if i'm gonna get a top-of-the-line machine then was the time. I've since added a 1236-X2 and a CZ-5 to the aresenal because I wanted something I could chest-mount and wade around at the beach with....plus they were both really sweet deals. The Bounty Hunter has since been relegated to the status of backup to my backup to my primary machine.

I'm looking into picking up an MXT or MXT 300 when I get home also, but haven't made up my mind yet, I just like the idea of versatility in one machine which is my main motivation in picking one up.

I'd refer you back to nc-joe's response.....those are good guidelines to follow in selecting a machine.

Figure out what you are going to be hunting the most and select your machine based on that. The MXT is cool in that it can be set up for 3 seperate modes with the turn of a knob and a few minor adjustments, just keep in mind that it can perform very well in any of those 3 modes, but would probably not excel in them to the level of a machine designed specifically for either of the 3 modes.

Another factor to consider is the old adage, "You Get What You Pay For!" If a machine costs $298.88, and is flimsy and toylike in construction, then it will probably behave EXACTLY like a flimsy, toylike detector that cost $298.88. My Pioneer 202 looks and behaves exactly as I would expect a $198.00 detector to look and behave.

BH owners may take exception to the above snippet but hey, I own a BH so therefore have a foot to stand on in saying what I want about them. One thing in BH's defense though the price-to-performance ratio is very realistic unlike ANOTHER machine that comes to mind which I will not mention by name (but it's green with yellow buttons, has pretty colored elliptical rings on it's display, and TALKS!)

And I'm not EVEN going to get myself going on "Bounty Fishers" (or "Fisher Hunters")...I am STILL seeing red on that one, they are the MD world's version of an AMF Harley-Davidson. They're not fooling me a bit and 'nuff said on that.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Hey Flyer, I have a White's M6 and have NO complaints about it. 90% of the time it will ID the item correctly. I normally just coin shoot. I don't use the TONE ID cuz it confuses me. When I get a signal it is Sharp and Crisp; hardly ever get false signals...I said hardly - not never. I generally hunt tot lots so I don't find silver coins...I have found gold and silver rings, necklaces, earrings, pendants and so on. As I said - no complaints. I would find it difficult to trade up to a MXT or DFX as I doubt they are that much better than the M6 for the price difference.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probers right and like a dang idiot... I sold my m6 and super regret it... : (

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I think you should also look into minelabs X-terra 70 , super light weight 2.9 LBS , diffrent coil options at diffrent Frequencies , Auto , noise balance ,maybe even wait until the end of the month for the fisher F-70 . , and Kellyco has great minelab package deals ? many Freebies. all brand new for about $700 , should receive my Xterra tomorrow had the same problem withe the Ace 250 as they say you get what you paid for:thumbsup:
[youtube=425,350]RUx4_CXenNI[/youtube]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread