Last Remaining Slave Trade Post in KY..I have access

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I have access to hunt the last remaining slave post from the 1800's obviously here in Kentucky. It looks like a log cabin that collapsed over time. There is also a VERY old road leading up to it near the river. Is there any suggestions you would give me. I tried google to search for slave post or slave trading post and COULD NOT find anything on them? Can someone please fill me in with some information on these things so I know what I'm getting myself into. I want to search this place dry, but don't know where to start!!?!??!

(())RandY(())

Mar 5, 2008
Tennessee
I would start near the cabin first.What i like to do, is scan in different areas untill i find old coin/relic '' Then the motivation kicks in :tongue3:'' ..then i hit that area hard! then i go until i hit the finish line :thumbsup:.... Good Luck! and keep us posted, on what you find......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Do you know if anyone else has ever md'd it before? How well-known is it to history books? I mean, is this info easily accesible knowledge, for anyone researching? Or some in-family unknown tid-bit?

If this spot is not a secret to persons researching, my hunch is it might already have been worked. Even if the current owner says otherwise, he may simply not know. Or, if as you say it is remote, he may simply not be aware that persons have worked it. At least that's the way it's gotten over the past 30 yrs. in my area: Someone new comes along, studies history books, and reads about an abandoned country picnic site, or stage stop site, or whatever. They come to us old-timers and tell of the "sure-fire bet" they just sleuthed out. Naturally, they're all places we sleuthed out 20 to 30 yrs. ago, and hammered to h*ck ::) Or they come back from just having worked a site, scratching their heads, saying "that's funny I didn't find much, the owner (foreman, son, daughter, renter, or whomever) said "it's never been hunted before" :tongue3:

But hopefully the history of your site is as you say, and hopefully there's goodies still there. A slave tag commands big money on the collectibles market!

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I don't think ANYONE has md'd it before. It's on private property and there is a VERY old road leading up to it, so I'm thinking search the road as well?! I need tips!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Even private property gets routinely searched. Unless you are in a part of the USA with a small percentage of hardcore hunters, they've usually sleuthed out key spots. Does the current owner tell you it's never been hunted before? How long has he owned it? And even he says "yes" or "no" to others, factor in that others in his family could've given the ok. Or how about this scenario: One time we were looking over the fence into a mountaneous cow pasture area, at a spot where we had researched that an 1840-70s rendering (cattle slaughtering) and camp site had been. We eyeballed someone letting themselves in a gate to the property nearby, and went to ask them if it was ok to md. As we approached, and talked to them, it became obvious that they were just hunters, who probably just had "hunting rights", and not the actual owners. They had a few beers on their breath too and were rather jovial, albeit mystified at these weirdos walking towards them with detectors. The guy scratches his head and says, "sure, but just stay near the road, don't go into the back country, don't spook the cattle, and I don't see why the owner would mind". With that, we never asked anymore questions. We pulled reales, early seateds, and other period coins and relics from that site. Now of course, if you were to ask the owner (probably some coorporation hundreds of miles from here) "has anyone ever detected it?" They would probably say "absolutely not... it's private property". See how that works?

Anyhow, back to your site: no, I would probably not work the roads leading into it, unless you had reason to believe that people stopped and dilly-dallied for some reason. The place they lived, worked, slept, carried on commerce, spent the most time, etc... is where the most metal items will be.

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
Does anyone know anything about Slave Post(s)? I'm trying to find some history on them but I'm not having any luck!

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
The last remaining slave post in Kentucky yes, but the last remaining true slave post in America was in Chicago, Illinois plus a couple of places in Boston, Mass.

White children were sent by the droves from England, Scotland, Wales, Germany, China, India, Spain, etc, to actually be worked to death in factories in the Northern USA. All weren't white, but most were. There were 4 times as many white slaves in America in all our history than black or Chinese slaves, or any other group, but few people ever talk about it or even know it.

If we could only gain access to some of THAT turf we could find some very interesting things, for sure. The child slave bosses were of several different nationalities and races and the children sometimes lived as long as into their teens, but few lived longer than that, most died by the time they were 10 years old, unless the girls were exceptionally beautiful and then were used as prostitutes.

The average lifespan for all people in America at that time was only about age 40. By the time the 1800's rolled around the age jumped up to about 45 nation-wide. Some of the white slaves were sold to be used as sex slaves, and some became house-boys and house-girls, while most worked in the factories 20 hours per day, or even more. More than 400,000 children and young adults were used in white slavery in the first few years of the early part of that time period, and many more followed clear up into the late 1800's. It was a spinoff of the early slavery in England, Poland and elsewhere in Western Europe.

Wouldn't those old grounds be a good place to hunt? I sure would think so.

There is a farm labor camp about 75 miles to the north of me that housed many Latin, White, and a few Black indentured slaves, and even into the early 1960's they were bound to stay there and worked for pennies because their "owners" would not give them enough money to even get out of town on a bus, after their debt was paid to the company store. There is a great deal more to this story to include many being slaves in sawmills around the USA, and of course I have investigated and searched some of these areas, but few people are aware that they even exist or existed at all. I even worked as a 19 year old in one of the massive sawmills that used to keep people indentured to the sawmill company store.

Just a little of our American History that people don't want to talk about.

EasyMoney

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
Very interesting..I was just saying it was the last in Kentucky before they were shut down. I guess this means slaves were brought here to be sold? I really know NOTHING about them..

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Yes Grog, many were traded back and forth between factory owners too, once they got to America, if the plague didn't get them first while traveling on the trains or boats to their destination.

As I indicated, most were from Great Britain but some were from even as far north as Poland and Scandanavia, at times. In Great Britain life was as bleak as it was in India, Nepal and other places. Children were sold by their parents, sometimes stolen, and sometimes the streets were basically just cleared of the vagabond children that were so prevalent in Breat Britain clear up into the 19th century. We had almost 300 years of white slavery here, and it was the biggest group of slaves we ever had. Convicts were used as slaves here too, and their numbers were also staggering, they were sent here because they were political prisoners from England. They were made that way because they rebelled against the Church of England, and of course, that's why part of our US Constitution gives us "freedon of religion", to enable us to be free from the rule of the Church of England that had imprisoned us in the beginnings of our country. It had nothing ot do with all this balony we now have to put up with regarding all these cults from more modern times, it was about the Church of England ruling us, nothing more.

The first white slaves were brought here in 1619. As was done in Africa, the excess was either given away free of charge or sold by their own people back in Europe, as were Spanish (Mandingo) slaves too. This explains too, why relics from many different countries were and still are found in some old factory parking areas and grounds.

Some of my Northern India and Israli ancestors back in the late 1800's and early 1900's were slaves in Northern Poland and that is why I am a bit more familiar with the slavery issue here. They immigrated to this country in the late 1800's, and they came from a town called Slano (AKA Slanow), or Schlawe in German, when the Germans occupied Poland durng the war. The name means "Slaves", or "place where the slaves are kept".

Here is one article on the subject: http://www.rockhawk.com/white_slavery_in_america.htm

America's and the world's history is often unfortunate and disenchanting, for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread