lots of trash

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Having trouble discrimminating out the trash with my ace 250. Wether I'm in coin, relic, jewelry or custom mode, and I set up the elim on each mode. I still keep hiting pull tabs and alum bottle caps. Tabs and caps all have the same tone as pennies and clad, kind of a ding. Any suggestions. I'm fairly new at this, only about 6-8 hrs time. Also some times I get a signal and when I dig there is only oyster shell to be found (oyster shell was used instead of gravel along the coast years ago). I'm thinking that there was probably a concentration of salt with some of the shell, and its the mineralization causing the signal.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the disc of the trash that has the same conductivity as the good targets, there isn't much you can do about that. Gold rings also are in the same range as pull tabs. Even with a screen the detector only reports what the conductivity of the target is and the ID isn't always accurate.

As for the shells setting off the detector, it could be extra salt and black sand that was dumped there with the shells. It might help to turn down the sensitivity lots. It will still have good depth and it could help some with proper id of the targets.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Your disc. control should be able to disc. out items like foil, tabs, and bottle caps. Try it in an air test in your living room, with detector propped up away from all metals. Slowly increase your disc., while sampling each target again and again. You will see how there is a spot on the dial at which you loose the various objects, depending on how high you set it. Practice with swing speed too, as that can have an effect. Don't get fooled by momentary blips that don't repeat. If an object "breaks up", then it must be below your disc. point (assuming your not talking about fringe deepies or partially masked things, etc...). Bear in mind that aluminum screw caps read pretty high, so you'd probably have to have the disc. dial set to max to loose those. Ie.: high enough to loose even zinc cents.

Once you've gotten the hang of air test sounds vs the various objects, then you'll have a better idea of the sounds you're hearing "in the field".

If all this fails, get together with someone experienced with your machine. Flag and compare signals in a site prolific with targets (even if just a new site). One you hear what another person in hearing, see how they're swinging, x-marking the spot, etc... sometimes the "lights will go on" that way. Because, no amount of printed text info. can explain to a person how something "sounds". Something like that has to be shown.

OP
OP
S

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I guess I'm expecting to much to quick. Went out for a couple hours last night and a few things started to come together. Like if the signal is repeatable in both directions, if the I.D. cursor is stable or jumpimg all over the place, when I pin point (which works quite well for me) how concentrated the area is. Apparently I find alot of trash cause there is a lot of it where I'm detecting. I did find a old pocket knife, a couple expended rifle rounds and a charm from someones charm bracelet. Thanks for the replies.

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
I don't know what you are searching for, but a helpful idea might be to set up a target garden. Get as many examples of the kinds of targets you would like to find, and bury them in the backyard. In another section, bury that trash that you have been finding. For convenience, mark the place where each target is located. Keep going over both your desired targets and the junk. Eventually, you should be able to learn the good signals from the bad ones. But keep in mind, even the best metal detector will not be able to distinguish a gold ring from a poptop. If you don't mind eliminating the possibility of finding gold rings, just avoid that whole nickel-poptop range. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread