Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find crap !!

Hi all,

I have hunted about 4 old home sites, 2 comunity buildings, 3 parks, and a ballfield all pre 1900's. So far I found nothing but clad, trash and one silver Rosie. This stinks, I figured each home site would have at least one or two silver on them for me. Nope I end up getting one silver from a hunted out park. AAAAhhhhhh Crap!! I need places to go but I am running out of ideas.

Keep @ it and HH!!

(())RandY(())

Mar 5, 2008
Tennessee
Re: I can't find crap !!

Dont let a few parks get ya down! Try Detecting on the outsides of the park, and not so much in the middle!! And mabe the 5th old home site, you hunt will be the one! Dont give up :tongue3: everyone of us go on a bad streak :wink: ..Good luck :thumbsup:

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

and always, always, always.....
detect back to or next to the car. Nobody ever detects next to their car. They always walk away from it before they start...

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hi all,

I have hunted about 4 old home sites, 2 comunity buildings, 3 parks, and a ballfield all pre 1900's. So far I found nothing but clad, trash and one silver Rosie. This stinks, I figured each home site would have at least one or two silver on them for me. Nope I end up getting one silver from a hunted out park. AAAAhhhhhh Crap!! I need places to go but I am running out of ideas.

Keep @ it and HH!!
Iffin i can ask what kind of metal detector are you using??

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I've got 4. A BH time ranger, a prizm 2, 5, and a DFX
if you buy a well built MD you will find things
but you still have to shovel a lot of s**t
to grow a beautiful rose, so be patient the good finds will come

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX

TAKE A DEEP BREATH.
RELAX.
I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SAME THING!
YOU HAVE YOUR UPS AND DOWNS!
WHAT DETECTOR ARE YOU USING?
I DONT REALLY KNOW YOU , WOULD YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF AN EXPERIENCED HUNTER, SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE SOME TIME IN.
IF SO, THEN YES IT SUCKS SOMETIMES, I PAID $1000.00 FOR MY METAL DETECTOR.
I HAVE ENDLESS HOURS AND EXPERIENCE IN HUNTING!
TODAY I SPENT 3 HOURS AND CAME HOME WITH A VERY CORRODID SHEILD NICKLE , ( NOTHING ELSE) !!!
MAKES ME SICK TO KNOW I FOUND AN 186?, NICKEL.

SEEMS LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE BETTER AT THE HOMES , BUT I ALWAYS THINK THAT TO AND END UP FINDING CLAD!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

Hang in there it will come, we all have dry spells and we all at times don't find a thing

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Actually this really surprises me. I have no problem finding lots of crap. It's the good stuff that is hard to come by. LOL
Hang in there
Bill

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

I'm sure the good stuff is around,just dont get discouraged,go back swing slow--you may be surprised to find something you overlooked,and don't get discouraged!!!

do you ever go into Syracuse area at all ?

maybe a hunt out of your area is what you need

Keep at it

Shawn

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't worry. The Iron Brigade has had an AWFUL streak of sites--and all of 'em looked good beforehand!

Two schoolhouse sites from the 1880's
Three old house sites
One still-standing Victorian house
A church that was torn down in the 30's

What did we find? Wheat pennies, a Buffalo Nickel, a War Nickel, and a DAMNED FRENCH FRANC!

>:(

This all changed today. :thumbsup:

So all you should worry about is getting on the best sites you can--and if they don't hold goodies, move on. Good sites will keep coming, and you'll get on one eventually. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Regards,

Buckleboy

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT

Every time I scroll past your post it makes me laugh.I don`t know how many times I have felt like that.I`d say about 95% of the time,but its the other 5% that really get your blood pumping.Good luck to you and keep swinging that coil.jeff

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Well, I am in the same boat. I don't seem to find anything but clad. To date I have found one wheat penny.
However I am going to keep plugging. Should be able to get up to a site I researched where there is an old stage coach road/stop. Hopefully I will have better luck either there or my mother-in-law's old house (built in the latter 1700s.)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

I would have to say I agree. about one in 10 hunts turns out to be a good one for me.

Just look at it this way, you have a METAL detector and you're diggin up metal, even if it's crap, so it's working and your getting more skilled with each hunt.

Soon you will start pulling out the good stuff.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Find better spots to detect.

Old spots where no one else has thought of, or researched before. Or old-town urban building demo's or sidewalk tear-outs. Of all my gold coins (11 so far) and all my reales, busts, seateds (100s), etc.... I have to look back and realize that the machine usually had very little to do with it .... ONCE I WAS ON THE SITE. That is: often time they were simply a result of the place I was at (in the middle of beach storms eroding the beach ...... waves and wind crashing around me, 'cuz everyone else is too timid to be out in that weather),not the machine. How many nuts are out in the dark at an old-town demolition site, in the blighted part of town? Etc.. Etc.. Most of the time, once I got the great stuff, they were shallow enough that a cheapie detector could've got them.

If all you do is work hammered obvious parks and sandboxes, or are always johnny-come-lately to researched spots, you will likely always be in other's "leftovers"

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hi all,

Keep @ it and HH!!
I always thought that searching in old cellar holes and parks was a waste of time anyways. (Not that I'm finding anything at the beach, :icon_jokercolor:
For new ideas, I would start thinking about looking into getting a better machine. Also, start thinking about your coil. As you know, the proper coil for the conditions is even more important than the machine. What else? I would see if I could find any old swimming holes or beaches. You gotta research these at the local library. And look for sites that have been subject to new construction, like bulldozed up, graded down, etc. How about sites that have (or have had) fairs, carnivals or rodeos? Most of all, I think you need to do more research, and come up with better sites. Finally, make sure you are taking your sweet time when searching. I know this takes discipline. Best wishes, HH

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You know what gets me? I'm trying to break into the 1700s barriers and this particular site that date from that time period I've found 3 large copper coins but the they were competely worn that the type of coin and the dates were totally worn away!! :'( This drives me nuts. Woe is me! Oh well just gotta keep tryin!!

Look at it this way, Mel Fisher who found the Atocha and Barry Clifford who recovered the Whydah took years before they found their prizes. So, don't give up everyone!! Good Hunting!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hi all,

Keep @ it and HH!!

Take a sandwich & a soda. While you're having a nice snack in the park, look around with the thought where would I go if I wanted to sit with my girl, or where would I play if I was a kid, or where I'd throw the picnic blanket. Not to be a smart Alek, but works for me. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't see this area sooner. And above all remember this activity is one of the greatest activities you can do. The good finds are perks!

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11

Well maybe I am the odd woman out but....I love to find clad. It adds up! I'm saving mine for the entire year to see how much I've found.
I've been MD'ing since Dec. 27, 2007 and already I have one of those large cookie tins full of clad. Most is quarters and dimes. I understand getting discouraged. Been there myself. Just a few weeks ago I found two Merc's. my first! So hang in there and keep all that clad. The better stuff will come. Good luck.

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts

Pepper2004 said:
Well maybe I am the odd woman out but....I love to find clad. It adds up! I'm saving mine for the entire year to see how much I've found.
I've been MD'ing since Dec. 27, 2007 and already I have one of those large cookie tins full of clad. Most is quarters and dimes. I understand getting discouraged. Been there myself. Just a few weeks ago I found two Merc's. my first! So hang in there and keep all that clad. The better stuff will come. Good luck.
Congratulations on finding those two mercs, Pepper!! :thumbsup:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

sounds like you are suffering from the ghost of treasure hunters past! it happens to me a lot. try to concentrate on private yards if you can, they are less heavily pounded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread