What Got You Into Detecting?

Bronx Dad

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2008
I have always been a bit of a scavenger and love the beach. Took up the hobby when I retired. Thanks for asking.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Like to stay busy, hate just sitting around.
Can do it alone. ( Don't play well with others)
Exercise. ( Long walks on the beach)
Hobby pays for itself. (mostly clad)
Thrill of the hunt. ( You never know)
try to top previous years finds ( mostly clad) :o

What got me started? Just looking for a cool hobby and I found one.

Keep telling my self "Today's the day" LOL

HH
Ray S

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 years of reading W E & T magazine. Western & Eastern Treasures. The bug hit me hard.

Ed D.

johnmed3

Greenie
May 10, 2008
Dallas TX
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
Always loved history and coins and old stuff. Already bought a tracker IV, waiting for the ups guy :tongue3:!!!

Midnightrider08

Mar 9, 2008
Northern Vt Border
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
I have social anxiety.

The metal detector and headphones have made it easier for me to go out into public with the family on outings instead of staying home.

It's definately served it's purpose of getting me out in the community more and has cured some stress for me on more then one occaison.

Does that rank up there with the strangest reason one has ever got started in this " hobby " ?

Marauder Dan

Aug 24, 2005
poverty got me into detecting...lol, actually have always loved the woods and old houses since I was alittle shaver hehe now at 41 years old I can still be a kid and be in the woods and actually have a chance of finding more than some old Penthouse mags and bullet carttridges and beer cans,and it nice to get away from all the noise and just be away quiet somewhere,and,,its cool to think of all the folks before me that might have walked in the same spots over the years!!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
10 year old with too much energy, back in 1960. My parents bought me radio Shack BFO for my tenth B-Day. Just now starting to slow down (energy wise). But throught the years I have owned in chronological order; After the gift, White's Coin Master, Compass Yukon 94-B, Compass Judge 1, Compass Judge 2, 2 Compass Relic Magnum 7's,( 1st. was stolen), Fisher 1260-X, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1266-X, Minelab Explorer XS. The last 2 on my list I still own and use. Thanks mom and dad....... For relizing what to do with my way tooooo much energy....... :icon_sunny:

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Well back when I was a kid, my mom bought me a radio shack model that I just gave to my neice and nephew. I hadn't detected since I was a kid. My friends father had passed away and he had a garrett ace detector that my friends sister gave to her. I started using it remembering how fun it was as a kid.

I have had 3 shoulder surgeries 2 on the right and 1 on the left and can no longer play softball so I decided to take up the metal detecting hobby once again.

I bought a whites prism II and I like it but after using it for a few months, I wanted more.....(don't we all) so I splurged and bought a used garrett 2500 on ebay and I am learning to use it now.

I am hooked. I should do more research but it is not my strong point. I am happy to find anything even the stupid pull tabs. That line from Forest Gump keeps going through my mind only I alter it be "Metal detecting is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get". :D

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
got into it for my health. ads on tv show its good exercise. now i have bad knees bad back arthritis in my hands almost deaf from years of hearing the buzz of a detector . and way overweight from eating at all the mcdonalds on the way to hunts. eyes are shot from trying to squint to see dates on coins. the good side is now i dont find enough to buy food to eat, cant afford gas to go hunt, married so long loss of hearing is a plus. dont need my knees anymore because i know its no use getting down on them to beg the answer will still be NO. and arthritis in my hands improved my typing skills. :coffee2:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allways whanted a mdt but never bought one I told my self two years a go to buy one with my income tax but never did Till two month's a go. Walking down my hill I seen one of my frends out in front of his house fooling a round with a white's prizum 5 and his pinpionter. It clicked. He said that this one is his girlfrends and it payed for it self.But the one he has is better than the prizum 5 I asked what do you have, he said mxt so I whent to the nerest white's dealer and bought an mxt whith the free bulls eye 2. Thanks uncle sam.I was going to get the mxt 300 but it wasn't in stock still looking for the edge over him and every body in town I desided to get the dd 14 over the supper 12 because of the highly mineral soil we have a round here. what a differce the dd made, at 16 inches the stock loop would pick up a two pound copper nuget but at 18 inches the stock loop would beep blank screan and then show hot rock. The dd wound beeb and show a quarter bar on the dollar whith no hot rock I was sold.But I think this form is the best, you people realy no how to post and reply to a topic. I laugh at the thing you's people talk about. Well thats it for now, thanks for every thing. LiftLoop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread