Cash1977

Greenie
Apr 12, 2008
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounthy Hunter Quick Draw II
Hello Everyone!

I was just wondering, what got you into this hobby we've chosen? :icon_scratch:

I was interested and doing research for months. I was watching Cash & Treasures on the Travel Channel and thought about how cool it would be to find treasure. My birthday was approaching and I had almost made my decision to get a metal detector, but I was still on the fence.
I was home one day, flipping around on the tv, and BAM! A new episode of Cash & Treasures was on. I had not seen the episode before. I couldn't believe my eyes, she was metal detecting!! :thumbsup:
I had made my decsion. I figured with all the beaches down here, I would have plenty of places to hunt!
I then bought my detector and I couldn't be happier! It's a great hobby. I love being out there, whethter I find clad, earrings or a rusty nail!

So, Why Do You Detect? (I cant wait to hear!)

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I detect because I have always been fascinated with finding any kind of treasure....mom used to send us on treasure hunts at every campground we went to and the winner got a snack pack puddin!!.....wasn't until I was an adult I realized that she was just making a list of every piece of trash she saw. rofl I love prospecting most of all but MD'n is a lot of fun too! :thumbsup:

RHoward

Mar 1, 2008
Martin City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTA1000, Money Hunter BFO, Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer
I was interested in treasure hunting when only the military had metal detectors. So when the first ones came on the market I got one, don't remember the brand. The coil was encased in wood and drifted really bad, falsed all the time and max depth on a penny was 1 inch. Still with all that I was hooked. The next was a Garrett BFO. A great machine, light, stable, and easy to use, but did not discriminate. All together owned 6 Garretts. Great finds over the years, the best a 1922 plain Lincoln. Even Zincolns get the heart pumping!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a little guy bouncing from the beaches of Calif to Grandpas in Arizona, figured I'd either find Pirate (fill in the blank)s Booty or hit the mother lode. Started with a Bounty Hunter TR that I had a real rough time tuning, then found an old Whites tuber at a garage sale. Was a fun machine but a little heavy for my size. And considering the 9V & 96.8 batterys cost almost three weeks allowance the Whites didn't get as much use. Still going Have several Whites & a Minelab or two.

Skillets

Mar 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About two years ago I stopped by my parents' house to visit, and while talking to my father by his workbench I noticed a small metal detector hanging on a hook nearby. "Oh cool," I said "when did you get this?" He told me my mom had picked it out of a catalog in some raffle she won at work. It was a cheap $50 Bounty Hunter. I'd always heard of metal detecting, but never gave it much thought until I saw that loud little unit in dad's workspace. Within two or three months I upgraded to a White's Prizm, and have been obsessed with what's in the ground ever since.

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX
38 years ago, I met a man with a detector, hunting under the bleachers at the local high school stadium. I was 11 years old and was at the school as part of a summer rec program. I followed him around for a few minutes and watched this guy pull quarters out of the grass with every sweep of his coil. Being the oldest child in a large family of 6 kids, and with a father who was a government worker, needless to say those quarters coming out from under that stadium were more money than I ever had in my pocket. I soon got a paper route and started saving. In a few months I had enough to buy a Sears Ted Williams (a Whites Coinmaster made for Sears) and have been hunting ever since. The sad thing is, back then I could hunt for a few hours each week and make more than I did on my paper route. Finding 2 or 3 dollars worth of coins in the early 70's would be like finding 20 or 30 dollars now, it just don't happen. I'm still finding 2 or 3 dollars (on a good day). Not as much treasure and what there is ain't worth as much. Sure miss the good ol' days. I kinda feel for the newbies who will never know just how good the finds used to be. But it's still fun.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my father was a detectorist --got the fever from him --his unit was an old grounghog --- dad paid the weekly milk money for the house with the clad he found --the silver he keep for hard times when things were tough

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I have a couple reasons but, my main interest is History and I believe that's what lured me.
I have more interest in finding historical things, things from the past, things I can hold in my hand and think of living in that time.
To hold something someone 100+ years once held.

The clad and loose change along the way just helps my quest, I guess.

knfmn

Greenie
Feb 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax
I've always been interested in history, and this just seems to be a way to get ahold of my own little piece of it. How cool is it that if things go right, and you look in the right spots, this is a hobby that will pay for itself? (Oh, and I'm sure that there are bars of gold out there waiting for me to find them! 8))

Kristopher

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I sure hope you find them Kristopher....grab a few for the rest of us too! :wink: Welcome to Tnet as well.....won't find better treasure than this bunch of folks!! :thumbsup:

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I like old paper currency, and the thought of finding old coins also interested me, so that's how I got into metal detecting. Now I know there is more to like than just the coins I find.

FrankMD

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2006
In was panning for gold in a creek somewhere :) in Virginia and when I was going back to my car I ran into two guys coming out of the woods with metal detectors! I asked them what they were looking for and they said CW relics. Thaqt got my interest up and I bought a Garrett top of the line unit. This was about 1982. I field of work was and is electronics so an electronic tool to find gold or treasure was for me!

HH

Frank

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the early 80's, my mom's cousin told me a story about a stash that my great grandfather had on his farm. Two trunks of silver dollars. He had bough a metal detector years earlier to try to get permission to hunt the old farm but the new owner told him to get lost.

In my wisdom, I bought a cheap whites coinmaster 3000, figuring I'd find it at the last place my GG lived, which was quite a ways from the farm. I couldnt get permission to hunt it either...but I did get into relic hunting and some coinshooting.

I agree with you doctorbb...coinshooting was sure a lot better back in them days. It's a fun challenge still though, looking in the hunted out places, finding that one old silver that's been passed over.
Al

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Back in the early 80's. my brother -In Law lost his wedding band. I helped him look for it all week-end. The next week he came back from a flea market, where he bought a metal detector for a buck. It was a child detector wit one knob for on-off, tune. We used it for a week every evening. We dug aluminum foil,nails and even a few coins,but no wedding band. I got interested as to what was in the ground. a few months later I bought the best machine Radio Shack had. It was a VLF-TR machine. It had manual ground balance,sensitivity, discrimination, and a retune button. It was a non-
motion machine. It would find pennies-dimes at 4 inches and Quarters at 5 inches. I found a lot of coins.Back int the early 80's,you could find plenty of wheaties and silver at 4-5 inches. But I never did
find his wedding band. Since then I have bought and sold a lot of machines, and have found my share of silver and gold jewelry.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Lin and I decided to move to Los Angeles in 1979 to start a new life, although we had a great one in New York City. We agreed on achieving 2 goals in L.A. First, for me to see UFOs as it seems everybody else was. Second, to hunt for treasure. We achieved both. :icon_king: :icon_queen:

I eventually had a couple of sightings of UFOs. Somewhere along the line, I, or we, got ahold of a flyer announcing treasure hunting classes at a community college and we enrolled. In the class we had the honor of actor Aldo Ray and we were taught by treasuremeister Roy Roush. :icon_study:

We had a ball, made many friends, and I was off getting a White's 6/DB to start me off. I paid my dues with that detector.

How many of you can claim a formal education in Treasure Hunting? I can! :thumbsup: Look at the photo of my "Diploma."

Silver Fox

Attachments

• TH CERTIFICATE.JPG
    TH CERTIFICATE.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 440

whitesPA

Jul 6, 2005
two of the people i worked with . ones to busy now and the other one lost interest.so now i am by myself

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like diggin the dirt. My mom always said she had to wait until the last second to dress me for church or a formal occasion cause I was like 'pigpen" in the Charlie Brown series. I've always like the history aspect and now that history is moving way too fast, I need to reach back and grab a piece of it every now and then.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Silver Fox said:
Lin and I decided to move to Los Angeles in 1979 to start a new life, although we had a great one in New York City. We agreed on achieving 2 goals in L.A. First, for me to see UFOs as it seems everybody else was. Second, to hunt for treasure. We achieved both. :icon_king: :icon_queen:

I eventually had a couple of sightings of UFOs. Somewhere along the line, I, or we, got ahold of a flyer announcing treasure hunting classes at a community college and we enrolled. In the class we had the honor of actor Aldo Ray and we were taught by treasuremeister Roy Roush. :icon_study:

We had a ball, made many friends, and I was off getting a White's 6/DB to start me off. I paid my dues with that detector.

How many of you can claim a formal education in Treasure Hunting? I can! :thumbsup: Look at the photo of my "Diploma."

Silver Fox

I knew it!! Nobody can be great as you and not have had a formal education. :BangHead:

Gentlemen, we have a shark amoung us!

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
radarwill said:
I knew it!! Nobody can be great as you and not have had a formal education. :BangHead:

Gentlemen, we have a shark amoung us!
A GREAT white shark! "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water…." there I am. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread