Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Apr 2008
    South Florida
    Bounthy Hunter Quick Draw II

What Got You Into Detecting?

Hello Everyone!

I was just wondering, what got you into this hobby we've chosen?

I was interested and doing research for months. I was watching Cash & Treasures on the Travel Channel and thought about how cool it would be to find treasure. My birthday was approaching and I had almost made my decision to get a metal detector, but I was still on the fence.
    I was home one day, flipping around on the tv, and BAM! A new episode of Cash & Treasures was on. I had not seen the episode before. I couldn't believe my eyes, she was metal detecting!!
    I had made my decsion. I figured with all the beaches down here, I would have plenty of places to hunt!
    I then bought my detector and I couldn't be happier! It's a great hobby. I love being out there, whethter I find clad, earrings or a rusty nail!

So, Why Do You Detect? (I cant wait to hear!)
    Cash

www.cash1977detecting.blogspot.com

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    13 times

Re: What Got You Into Detecting?

I detect because I have always been fascinated with finding any kind of treasure....mom used to send us on treasure hunts at every campground we went to and the winner got a snack pack puddin!!.....wasn't until I was an adult I realized that she was just making a list of every piece of trash she saw. rofl I love prospecting most of all but MD'n is a lot of fun too!

Mar 2008
    Martin City, Montana
    Garrett-GTA1000, Money Hunter BFO, Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer

I was interested in treasure hunting when only the military had metal detectors. So when the first ones came on the market I got one, don't remember the brand. The coil was encased in wood and drifted really bad, falsed all the time and max depth on a penny was 1 inch. Still with all that I was hooked. The next was a Garrett BFO. A great machine, light, stable, and easy to use, but did not discriminate. All together owned 6 Garretts. Great finds over the years, the best a 1922 plain Lincoln. Even Zincolns get the heart pumping!!
    Detecting since 1962 all dimes were silver then!!

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB
    52 times

Being a little guy bouncing from the beaches of Calif to Grandpas in Arizona, figured I'd either find Pirate (fill in the blank)s Booty or hit the mother lode. Started with a Bounty Hunter TR that I had a real rough time tuning, then found an old Whites tuber at a garage sale. Was a fun machine but a little heavy for my size. And considering the 9V & 96.8 batterys cost almost three weeks allowance the Whites didn't get as much use. Still going Have several Whites & a Minelab or two.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

us
    Mar 2007
    Massachusetts
    White's Prizm II
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

About two years ago I stopped by my parents' house to visit, and while talking to my father by his workbench I noticed a small metal detector hanging on a hook nearby. "Oh cool," I said "when did you get this?" He told me my mom had picked it out of a catalog in some raffle she won at work. It was a cheap $50 Bounty Hunter. I'd always heard of metal detecting, but never gave it much thought until I saw that loud little unit in dad's workspace. Within two or three months I upgraded to a White's Prizm, and have been obsessed with what's in the ground ever since.

Nov 2007
    CA via TX
    1 times

38 years ago, I met a man with a detector, hunting under the bleachers at the local high school stadium. I was 11 years old and was at the school as part of a summer rec program. I followed him around for a few minutes and watched this guy pull quarters out of the grass with every sweep of his coil. Being the oldest child in a large family of 6 kids, and with a father who was a government worker, needless to say those quarters coming out from under that stadium were more money than I ever had in my pocket. I soon got a paper route and started saving. In a few months I had enough to buy a Sears Ted Williams (a Whites Coinmaster made for Sears) and have been hunting ever since. The sad thing is, back then I could hunt for a few hours each week and make more than I did on my paper route. Finding 2 or 3 dollars worth of coins in the early 70's would be like finding 20 or 30 dollars now, it just don't happen. I'm still finding 2 or 3 dollars (on a good day). Not as much treasure and what there is ain't worth as much. Sure miss the good ol' days. I kinda feel for the newbies who will never know just how good the finds used to be. But it's still fun.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    689 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

my father was a detectorist --got the fever from him --his unit was an old grounghog --- dad paid the weekly milk money for the house with the clad he found --the silver he keep for hard times when things were tough

us
    Aug 2007
    Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
    Bounty Hunter Platinum, Tesoro Vaquero
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I think I have a couple reasons but, my main interest is History and I believe that's what lured me.
    I have more interest in finding historical things, things from the past, things I can hold in my hand and think of living in that time.
    To hold something someone 100+ years once held.

The clad and loose change along the way just helps my quest, I guess.

Feb 2008
    Tesoro Silver ÁMax

I've always been interested in history, and this just seems to be a way to get ahold of my own little piece of it. How cool is it that if things go right, and you look in the right spots, this is a hobby that will pay for itself? (Oh, and I'm sure that there are bars of gold out there waiting for me to find them! 8))

Kristopher

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    13 times

I sure hope you find them Kristopher....grab a few for the rest of us too! Welcome to Tnet as well.....won't find better treasure than this bunch of folks!!

us
    Oct 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

I like old paper currency, and the thought of finding old coins also interested me, so that's how I got into metal detecting. Now I know there is more to like than just the coins I find.
    The ground is a bank, open up an account with your metal detector.

/         
          /
        ___/___
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""

Apr 2006

In was panning for gold in a creek somewhere in Virginia and when I was going back to my car I ran into two guys coming out of the woods with metal detectors! I asked them what they were looking for and they said CW relics. Thaqt got my interest up and I bought a Garrett top of the line unit. This was about 1982. I field of work was and is electronics so an electronic tool to find gold or treasure was for me!

HH

Frank

us
    Aug 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    White's Vision, White's 6000DI Pro
    37 times

Back in the early 80's, my mom's cousin told me a story about a stash that my great grandfather had on his farm. Two trunks of silver dollars. He had bough a metal detector years earlier to try to get permission to hunt the old farm but the new owner told him to get lost.

In my wisdom, I bought a cheap whites coinmaster 3000, figuring I'd find it at the last place my GG lived, which was quite a ways from the farm. I couldnt get permission to hunt it either...but I did get into relic hunting and some coinshooting.

I agree with you doctorbb...coinshooting was sure a lot better back in them days. It's a fun challenge still though, looking in the hunted out places, finding that one old silver that's been passed over.
    Al
    I think...therefore I am.

Trusty

Dec 2007
    Osceola County, Michigan
    White's MXT
    2 times

Always liked history & really need the exercise, anyway it seemed like a hobby that couldn't get out of hand. Yeah, right!
    CPO  USN (ret)     Civilian (ret)

us
    Apr 2005
    68 times

Back in the early 80's. my brother -In Law lost his wedding band. I helped him look for it all week-end. The next week he came back from a flea market, where he bought a metal detector for a buck. It was a child detector wit one knob for on-off, tune. We used it for a week every evening. We dug aluminum foil,nails and even a few coins,but no wedding band. I got interested as to what was in the ground. a few months later I bought the best machine Radio Shack had. It was a VLF-TR machine. It had manual ground balance,sensitivity, discrimination, and a retune button. It was a non-
    motion machine. It would find pennies-dimes at 4 inches and Quarters at 5 inches. I found a lot of coins.Back int the early 80's,you could find plenty of wheaties and silver at 4-5 inches. But I never did
    find his wedding band. Since then I have bought and sold a lot of machines, and have found my share of silver and gold jewelry.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors