A question for Land Star owners about Discrimination

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I was mistified by my Land Star today. I hunt in AUTO NOTCH I have no reasons to hunt in any other mode at the moment in New York City parks. But today I wanted to detect only dimes, quarters, and halves (hah!). So I threw a pre-zinc cent on the ground and set the detector on DISC and started scanning the cent while advancing the DISC/NOTCH knob clockwise from minimum to max and it still detected the cent! So I went back to AUTO/NOTCH wondering WTF!

Back in my old Teknetics days I simply held the toggle switch to one side and advanced the Disc knob and watched the needle until it stopped detecting the cent but would beep on the dime setting right next to the cent setting. Trust me, the detector did NOT beep on anything below my setting unless I notched a window for nickels/rings.

So, please, tell me if it's possible to DISC cents (not zinc).

Silver Fox

i

i

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fox, i may be wrong on this but i think "non" zinc pennys come up as dimes.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
silver fox why dont you look for another teknetics, the only drawback ive read on them is the weight, disc wize they sound like they will compete with any out there, along with the whites 6000, at some point i would like to try them both

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Ed, on these machines, along with the ACE 250 and similar........any copper penny, specially a wheat will come in as a dime.........if you disc out pennies, you will also be eliminating your chances of finding dimes........possible silver. Without a VDI or a machine like the Explorer, you will not be able to easily differentiate between a penny, clad dime or silver dime, so you'll have to dig. My Explorer gets fooled by pennies, specially wheats........all the time. And in some cases, I've dug what I was almost sure to be a wheat penny only to find a silver barber. My point is you will have to take your chances on digging, with any machine, no matter how well it can disc or identify the target. There are too many things going on like pennies right next to dimes, nickels next to a quarter or a junk item next to a good coin that can mix up a signal and make it sound like something that should be passed.........I know you've been doing this for a while, so no need for me to go into details.

Best,
Ricardo

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Fellow TNETers: Thanks for your thoughtful replies, I appreciate them. But it seems that the intent of my OP has not been understood. I did understand your replies and I have no argument with them. But what I said, or meant to say, is that I advanced the DISC control to max and the detector still beeped when the coil went over the cent. It should not have. It should not have beeped on anything except, possibly, a vehicle buried in the cent's vicinity or an oil drum or a large grating but NOT on the cent. When you discriminate it means exactly that; you are telling the machine to ignore. The Land Star did not ignore the cent.

I'll try it again another time, perhaps I missed something.

Silver Fox

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Fox I also have a landstar and with the disc all the way up it will not pick up the zinc pennies but it will still pick up the copper pennies, so mine is just like yours and i dont think anything is wrong with it just the way the landstars are :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
weasel606 said:
Silver Fox I also have a landstar and with the disc all the way up it will not pick up the zinc pennies but it will still pick up the copper pennies, so mine is just like yours and i dont think anything is wrong with it just the way the landstars are :thumbsup:
Well, now, I appreciate your reply and is a confirmation that there is nothing wrong with me or the machine. But there is DEFINITELY something wrong with Bounty Hunter when they design a defective machine. :o A detector that does not discriminate is a sick detector and I gotta consider getting another one. >:(

You see, sometimes I just want to go for the big coins: quarter, halves and, hopefully, dollars. :D When I know that I'm not going to find Mercs or Barbers and I don't want to dig cents/dimes because the detector can't differentiate between cents/dimes, then give me quarters. So I want a quiet detector until it finds a quarter, etc. This is a big disappointment so Fisher F5, here I come! :thumbsup:

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
My Sovereign will not disc out a penny of any kind.
They usually ring up just below a dime. I dig all for sure coins.
Who knows, you next penny might be a VF double die worth serious bucks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread