Another Goose Chase??

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone told my hunting partner that her grandfather buried money somewhere on a 40 acre farm and they cant find it. He died and never told them where it was buried.( Sound familiar) She told him if we find it it would be a 50 50 split. OK i do not want to waste my time looking for nothing but the old man did not trust banks. If its buried deep we are S.O.L. if not $$$. Any ideas where to start??..aa

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I would start close enough to the house he could keep an eye on it for sure. I don't have much experience but human nature would be to want to make sure and notice of someone were out there digging. Best of luck to you....I hope you find it and it is a big cache!

K

Kentucky Kache

If waisting time is all important to you, then it might be best to leave it alone. Ask any cache hunter about the ratio of found caches to waisted time. Just my opinion.
Of course, I hope you do look for it and find it.

I would talk to as many of the family members as I could. Find out all you can about the old man. Also ask if they have old pics of the place, where buildings once stood, etc.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Crazy said:
If waisting time is all important to you, then it might be best to leave it alone. Ask any cache hunter about the ratio of found caches to waisted time. Just my opinion.
Of course, I hope you do look for it and find it.

I would talk to as many of the family members as I could. Find out all you can about the old man. Also ask if they have old pics of the place, where buildings once stood, etc.
:thumbsup:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would also check the chicken coop (or where it was). The chicken's acted as a natural alarm system at night. Hope it helps.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RON (PA) said:
I would also check the chicken coop (or where it was). The chicken's acted as a natural alarm system at night. Hope it helps.
WOW!! never would of thought of that....aa

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
You might wanna start by educating your self on cache hunting by reading allot of posts in that forum. I used to go there but lost interest when it seemed that the number of places to look far exceeded my will to look.
:D

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
You might wanna start by educating your self on cache hunting by reading allot of posts in that forum. I used to go there but lost interest when it seemed that the number of places to look far exceeded my will to look.
:D
10-4

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok now its a finders fee not 50 50 iam starting to lose interest. >:(

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If i had a dollar for every story like that, I'd be rich without having to look for caches (ok, maybe I exaggerate, but I've heard many such stories). Unless someone has a first-hand story (not just treasure lore stuff), and unless they have a fair idea of the vicinity (not "in this 40 acres" etc...) I usually pass on wild goose chases. Maybe I'm a kill-joy, but I've been-there-done-that too many times. The story has to be first-hand, reliable, etc.... Also has to be an area that's huntable to begin with. One time I was told to start hunting at a place that was practically a junk yard (dozens of rusting tractors, wire-chicken coops, trash burn pit areas, etc... on a farm). The person was convinced there was a cache there, and couldn't understand why I could barely progress a foot in an direction without digging countless hubcaps, slag, cans, etc...

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stories like that have a ring of truth becuase back in them days...banks werent exactly trustworthy after the crash and i know of a similar tale told to me first hand by the ones that saw it and knew it was behind.....THE CHICKEN COOP!
No lie...close to the house, within eye shot..and squaking chickens to alert someone.
Al

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
if its like most old stories about grandpa i would first check the older bars in town and the local hostals. most likely grandpa went out happy. and used the story of hiding it to keep anyone from knowing.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd check out the relatives for any details you can find. Instead of a 50 - 50 cut, do it as a consultant & charge an hourly fee. If she's really positive about her info a reasonable hourly fee should be acceptable. At least everyone comes out ahead. She gets your expertise, and you get money for snacks batteries & drinks :thumbsup: If she doesn't feel her info is good she'll back away and you're probably saving yourself a lot of time.

Check corners of outbuildings & barns if there are any. Especially if there is a bunch of junk piled up there. Also, if you check the house don't forget the window frames. You'll get a big hit from the sash weights, but some caches have been hidden in window frames (personal experience). Check clothesline posts and fenceposts too. Hope that gives you a few ideas!

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior
ok this is farfetched but i could help more if i had photos of the place but,

ok look around take a day if your really into this and see everyplace you would hide a cache yes you need old buildings

it will be alot of wokr but it wont be rnadomly placed ask if any of ti was famr land cause it wont eb ther eidt i would hid eit where i cant see or where someone could sneak on and find it.and it could be a complete lie also. i hope i helped

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE The granddaughter told my cousin her family caught the oldman burning money in the backyard.This story gets stranger the closer we get to looking for the money. Grandpa was from Mexico so there might be some nice Mexican coins. Also i hear they built a new home on the property my luck its right on top of the cash.....aa

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I would ask for a percentage of the find. Say one third, if you find it. If not, they are not out a dime. You already have a detector and if they do not want to agree to your terms, they can invest in a detector and may be not find anything. Give them something to think about.

Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread