Hunter-Gatherer

Greenie
May 5, 2008
Flint MI
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster II
I Don't Get the Drift

Hi,

Just recently returning to the hobby of MDing and discovered a problem with the Surfmaster II we (hubby and I are sharing one machine) are using. It didn't have this problem before. It doesn't pinpoint as well as it used to. The target sometimes "drifts". We dig after pinpointing and the target moves, like to the right or left. We are still able to locate coins and stuff, but it's annoying to dig gigantic holes!

Does anybody know what the problem is? Does the machine need to be fixed?

Used to be, if the beep sounded, we could target by moving in a "+" pattern and there the coin or whatever would be. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

Hunter-Gatherer

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Re: I Don't Get the Drift

Aren't you using it to dig in sand? If so, why bother pinpointing? Just get in the general area of where you detected the object and scoop up some sand, then recheck the hole. No signal...then check your scoop...signal stlil there....then scoop again. That's what I don in the surf. Three scoops usually get's the item.

OP
OP
Hunter-Gatherer

Hunter-Gatherer

Greenie
May 5, 2008
Flint MI
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster II

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Nah, I am also using this detector on dry land, and like I said, it had been easy in the past to pinpoint with it. Just having troubles now. I hope it isn't time to replace the machine. What could cause the drifting of the signal?

We haven't been to the beach this year yet. Like you say, it won't be a problem there.

Hunter-Gatherer

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

i'm no rocket scientist, not even close, but i know a few things that cause what i call ghost signals. i think we have all chased them. minerals are one. soil moisture content is another. do you have good batteries? when mine get weak my machines lie to me. if there are multiple targets machines will read between them and you get a ghost. probably a million other reasons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions