Which detector?????

Feb 28, 2008
I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of info with this question. But it's been 20 years since I owned a metal detector and I would like some direction before buying my next one. I am interested in just about everything, coins, relics, gold. So a good all around detector is what I'm looking for. If one is not a good idea then 2 that cover those areas will work. OK, I'm ready when you are. Thanks in advance for the info.

Digger Charlie

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
By "gold", do you mean gold nuggets (a machine that can find nuggets down to pinhead size), or do you mean gold jewelry?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What sizes of gold?(or rather weight)

Look at the MXT by white's or the XTerra70 by Minelab maybe even the Fisher F75 could do well.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I have a MXT. It is an all around detector. It will find small pea size nuggets and up. It has several coil options. Another reason I like it.
My husband has a Whites M6 and a GMT. The GMT is strictly for hunting gold.

HH,
Pepper

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Digger Charlie, I sent you a PM. Basically, there are very few cross-over machines, that do both gold nuggets (if you're talking down to pinhead sized) and coins/relics, all at the same time. The machine and coils designs (frequencies, etc...) for each goal are different. So the cross-over machines (like the MXT for instance) are only so-so. Ie.: yes they can be made to do both functions, but are not at the top of their class in each regard. If you really want to get serious in each type hunting, you might want to consider 2 different machines.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
whites mxt, minelabxt70, fisher f75, teknetics t-2 simular to the f-75 minus a few features but performance is there for le$$

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Minelab GT multi -frequency great for anything you want to do, but jump in the water.. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread