Late 19th century properties

West Coast Fever

May 13, 2008
SF South Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Hi Folks,

I lucked across a corner that is going to be demoed soon. It contains 3 homes and one church that are late 1800 to early 1900 era. In a quick search of the area, I picked several zinc, a few recent dimes, a quarter and '56 wheatie and a 63 nickel. there was lots of trash signals as well ( I call everything trash if I dont know what it is, I know that is a mistake, kinda learning right now).

So, after reading some of these posts I see that I need to really start to dig everything for a while until I clean out that section that yeilded coins. Then I will have a chance at hearing the deeper stuff, Is that correct?

I have a 10", a double d, and a hot foot. In what order would you recomend that I use them if any. I am real excited that finding as many coins as I have, I can see that noone has recently checked the site. I will get a real first chance at some silver if I do it right. That is exciting.

Any tips would be helpfull.

thanks in advance

dave

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use the smallest coil first. Then go bigger and bigger the more trash you get out.
Also what MD are you using?

You really don't have to dig it all as it will drive some people crazy. It does though give you a better chance pf finding some goodies. :)

I do recommend digging everything until you know what your machine is telling you. :thumbsup:

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
nice site and good start! if you dig it all they won't have to bull doze. oh yeah, those dozers really stir it up. listen to what that machine is saying. match that sound in your mind to the target you dig. after a while it will become quite accurate. it will save you from diggin' every piece of junk known to mankind. in a nice site like yours i dig a lot off "iffy" signals. it pays off. good luck and get back there after they rip some dirt up.

OP
OP
West Coast Fever

West Coast Fever

May 13, 2008
SF South Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Hi folks,

I am using an MXT. And, I must say that I really am a novice with it. Sure I can find the perfect laid down coin in 4", but the iffy stuff, I have not figured it out.

Do you all use headphones? Do you dig those slight disturbances? I can sometimes here something that rattles the signal a little bit, but am reluctant to spend the next 30 minutes trying to dig that deep, which brings me to another real question, what in the world are you using for a digger? I have a nice hand held digger that I bought from someone a couple years back, and it has a sheath and all, but you can only get so much leverage on a hand held tool, and in hard hard hard dirt, and dry conditions, boy, that takes for ever.

Where can I find a light weight but super strong digger that can be carried, but will give some relief to my sore aching blistered hands?
I have tried a few things, but in the end, they end up breaking becuase they were not strong at the leverage point. And I can see where carrying a pickaxe and spade woule be impossible, though I could have one in the truck as a backup.

Any Ideas where to get a digger made for what we do, not for Mom's garden, but just specifically for the 'tector person.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread