Aerial Detection Information Sought

TechTH

May 20, 2008
There has to be a better way!!!

Searching the traditional way is like cleaning the Titanic with a toothbrush -- sure you can get the job done, but it's going to take a LONGGGG time.

Seeing some sites for aerial mine detection sparked the thought of using a rig like that for treasure hunting when you need to cover a large amount of terrain. I imagine these units are expensive as the main buyers would likely be governmental agencies with little regard for the value of a dollar (sorry.. tax dollar waste is a sore spot). Anyway, basically looks like a souped-up RC helicopter with a detection unit suspended underneath. Some fancy stuff with GPS capabilities and video images (close isn't good --gotta pinpoint those mines!) that may or may not be needed for TH'ing.

So, the question is what is known about Aerial Detection or does anyone know whether these landmine detectors would accomplish the same goal? It all seems logical, but not seeing much on the topic.

GOOD hunting!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The technology is there. Some years back, late 80's maybe, I knew a history professor who had his own plane and did aerial infrared photography to find Indian burial mounds in West Virginia. Maybe not exactly infrared, but what he was doing was somehow able to take pictures of ground that had been disturbed, even a couple hundred years ago. Something about the way the soils being disturbed came out different than undisturbed.

I don't see why similar photography couldn't work spotting mines. I'm sure temperatures would differ from surrounding areas.

I know somewhere I saw something where someone would fly and area and do such photography...for a price. Just don't remember where i saw it. Try googling infrared photography or similar.
Al

OP
OP
T

TechTH

May 20, 2008
Aerial photography could be an interesting way to locate sites as well. Recently saw a piece on how satellite photos were able to distinguish variations in the color of the surrounding fauna due to limestone leaching. This technique was being employed to identify locations of ancient Mayan sites.

The application I'm referring to though is the location of a buried cache, whereby an "aerial metal detector" could scan a significantly greater amount of terrain in the same amount of time. Think of a desert canyon that extends for a considerable distance -- sweeping it with a hand held detector would be a significant effort Anyone have knowledge on the rate of coverage of an aerial landmine detector? Does it essentially identify metals in the same manner as a hand held unit?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread