Police evidence gathering team officer with a metal detector

silverthorn

Mar 19, 2008
Livin' in my Checker Marathon down by the river...
Detector(s) used
Old willow divining rod... No more wire hangers !!
We had a little trouble in town today. A saw a newscast on TV. A brigaded gunman situation. After the incident, I saw one of the evidence gathering team officers going over the lawn with a metal detector. I’m guessing that he was looking for shells or something. Maybe foil wrapped packages in the grass. I wonder if this officer finds loose change as well. Think so?

~Silverthorn

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Dunno about that situation, but generally, whenever I've seen police use an in-department metal detector for evidence gathering out here, they don't know how to use it proficiently. Like, it'll be a "Big 5 Sporting good store" variety detector, that only gets pulled out of the storage closet at the police station a few times per year, each time by someone who's never used a detector before ::) I chuckle when I see a guy in the background of a TV news-clip, swinging the coil a foot off the ground, fiddling with knobs, etc...

Most of the time in my area, they end up calling hobbyists and enlisting our help to form possees. The San Jose club, for example, has an-call group for just that purpose, who stays on the rolodexes of all the SF Bay area law enforcement. They've had many successes finding bullets, knifes, guns, etc...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too get a kick out of seeing the dude swing the detector a foot off the ground and like a pendulum. I hope they only use it on longer grass for shell casings. Now the dive teams in my area are very good and use PI types for finding evidence.

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
Bridge End Farm said:
they use the local club here when they want to search with them, you get a cop to dig for you :thumbsup:
Do you get to keep the coins then?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put them to work :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverthorn

silverthorn

Mar 19, 2008
Livin' in my Checker Marathon down by the river...
Detector(s) used
Old willow divining rod... No more wire hangers !!
Tom_in_CA said:
Dunno about that situation, but generally, whenever I've seen police use an in-department metal detector for evidence gathering out here, they don't know how to use it proficiently. Like, it'll be a "Big 5 Sporting good store" variety detector, that only gets pulled out of the storage closet at the police station a few times per year, each time by someone who's never used a detector before ::) I chuckle when I see a guy in the background of a TV news-clip, swinging the coil a foot off the ground, fiddling with knobs, etc...

Most of the time in my area, they end up calling hobbyists and enlisting our help to form possees. The San Jose club, for example, has an-call group for just that purpose, who stays on the rolodexes of all the SF Bay area law enforcement. They've had many successes finding bullets, knifes, guns, etc...

Everything but the cap in his ass !!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Last time I saw the cops swinging a coil it was out near the Marengo exit on I-90. Long while back but yep, they didn't want to disturb any evidence, so they kept the coils above the weeds around the site. Weeds were pretty high.

Good thing for them the guy who killed the radar cop there was a familiar and left behind enough info on the how's and why's after he did himself in.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
back in the late 90's our guys were involved in a shooting that covered about 100 ft. I got a call about 0200 in the morning and went to the location with another hunting buddy who works on dayshift.
we set the machines to read close to the coil ( used a fired case to see what we were looking for from the .40's we use and the 9mm he used) and found the cases from the suspects and our officers firearms....only bad thing about it was it put us on the bench for several days. have been called in by other departments to do the same.
good over time though :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread