not covering holes

strawbfan

Sep 4, 2003
Utica NY
Detector(s) used
Mnelab Safari ,Garrett Ace250
I got out detecting today,in Oriskany Ny I went along what was the Erie canal,it is a bike path now.Anyways I saw this one spot where there was rocks piled up on the other side of where the water used to be,there is a little stream there now ,but the banks are pretty high looks like it was pretty deep at one time.So I went over to where the rocks were piled to detect,the rocks were piled in a kind of square U shape.
It was cemented together,looked real old,so I start detecting around it,and notice footprints,then I came upon a bunch of holes,someone had been there recently detecting,didn`t bother to cover any of the holes.I didn`t find anything over there so I got back on the trail and thought I saw a foundation,I went over to detect around it,and it was these big square things looked like railroad ties but a lot bigger.So I thought just some old junk wood,then I noticed wooden pegs holding them together.It was some sort of structure at one time.Found a pair of White`s headphones on top of the wooden things.Then I start seeing holes everywhere again.Pretty deep holes,I found a concrete foundation in the field after going in deeper,again holes everywhere,left uncovered.
It was really discouraging seeing all those holes and knowing it was done by someone that was detecting.This is only the second spot I have detected around where I live where I have seen this,I have been detecting about 6 or 7 years so I guess it isn`t that many times to come across it ,but it sucks people have to leave open holes,it only takes a minute to fill the holes back in ,I noticed this area was public hunting land,I imagine if a hunter breaks a leg or gets hurt,the state may not want people detecting there any more.I filled some of the holes,but there were a bunch of them and the dirt was all packed down and dried up on some of them.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Yeap, not filling holes is bad news for the hobby and I would fill any I see. I have been meaning to hunt along the Erie canal, I just want to make sure it is legal first. Say, Oriskany is not that far away is it, ever pass through Chittenango?
HH,
Donny

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I'm sensitive to this kind of situation also and I don't know how I would have reacted. But you tried to remedy the situation and that's worth a compliment: good going!

I don't know the area, if it's populated or not. If it's populated and you want to pursue finding the culprit, you could ask the nearest person if they've seen the person that left the holes, maybe get a description which you can file away in your memory and perhaps if you run into a detectorist you can ask them if they lost the headphones. If the person acknowledges such, then you have the culprit and can give him a piece of your mind, followed by volunteering to teach him how to do the right thing. You might make a friend and a hunting buddy.

Silver Fox

OP
OP
strawbfan

strawbfan

Sep 4, 2003
Utica NY
Detector(s) used
he threw the headphones away,they were broken.It is a pretty remote area I was at not really anyone living too close.

OP
OP
strawbfan

strawbfan

Sep 4, 2003
Utica NY
Detector(s) used
djabend said:
Yeap, not filling holes is bad news for the hobby and I would fill any I see. I have been meaning to hunt along the Erie canal, I just want to make sure it is legal first. Say, Oriskany is not that far away is it, ever pass through Chittenango?
HH,
Donny
Hi Donny yes I have been through Chittenango many times.I live about a half hour away from Oriskany ,I had emailed someone about detecting along the canal a couple years back,don`t remember what department I emailed but they said it is ok to detect there,the person I emailed said you can get a permit if you want to.I have detected along the canal in many spots ,on the barge canal too , near the locks,they have people that work at the locks,they have never said anything ,just wave.This is the first time I have seen open holes while detecting along the canal though,hope whoever it is starts taking the time to cover them.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
it gets me riled too. in every group of people, there is at least a few to give a bad name to the group. may be it will be his leg that gets broken in his own hole. very unsitely too. and, he litters!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unfilled holes is a bad thing >:(

mellowcheddar

Aug 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
My holes always end up being kind of lumpy when I re-constitute them and even when I stomp on them. I take trash with me though. My problem is I can never quite get the turf to fit right once I'm done. Would this be an example of a badly-filled hole? The soil here is really loaded with slate, clay, and shale. (Oh, and pop tabs ;D) I *DO* make an honest effort. Reputation for the hobby as a whole and all.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
hello mello! no, that's not a bad fill. you have to deal with ground condition. do your best. i get a little nervous on an iffy permission on a great lawn. i won't hunt them dry and not not when they are wet. mother nature is a great healer. if you too dry, you might make a fairy ring, too wet and you have mud. i cut about a 3" plug shallow,2", and lay it aside. if i am really being fussy, i use a drop cloth for the soil. soil in, plug in, tamp, brush around and beep some more. in the woods, i get the hole filled, sand, swish, gravel, a kick, concrete, i won't go there! Bill. good luck to you!

mellowcheddar

Aug 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I'm from the 'plug' school of thought too, but I'm learning a new machine this year and man-oh-man am I making some good messes! It's a pain in the butt to try and match up all the plugs- like some kind of Tetris board gone terribly awry. As to refilling here is a cheap-o idea: Next time the shower curtain liner gets moldy, before you chuck it cut yourself a 12x12 or bigger section of it. Dump the dirt onto it as you find that gold ring (hahaha). When you're done, dump your dirt back in, fold it up and be on your way. Mine fits in my pocket, along with plenty of pulltabs.
And technically you're recycling!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
hey that shower curtain idea is a good one :thumbsup:

I'd be interested in the broken headphones if you still have them

I once was hunting a park and saw another guy hunting and digging with a shovel, he swing, dig, find the source and just left to the next beep leaving the holes. I walked up and asked him to please cover them up as it looked bad for our hobby and folks could get hurt stepping into one. He told me if I wanted them covered to do it myself and kept going. Moral of story some folks are just buttheads plain and simple. I just swung and covered his as I went along.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread