im new and heres what ive discovered, so far....

Gnomey

Greenie
May 30, 2008
i'm new and here's what i've discovered, so far....

Hi!!! I've always loved treasure hunting since i was a little girl! this site is awesome Im really glad I found it and you guys have inspired me to keep looking!!! Okay right now Im busting out of my skin to tell SOMEONE about my location for treasure hunting. I've found an old old foundation of a log cabin maybe? Its made of creek rock. the problem is i have to crawl on my hands and knees to get to it its so overgrown.

I had been finding shards of handthrown pottery right near there in the cornfield for a couple months and was picking them up and I didnt know why. Then one day I crawled into the woods and discovered the foundation. Ive been going there off and on for a couple years now but never ever even crossed my mind to take a detector. I always just picked up them pottery pieces. Well the other day I borrowed a freinds metal detector to help find my husbands knife he lost in the woods. Well I took it to the old house and treasure hunted for a couple days in a row. I've found lots of junk metal, and lots of nails, hooks, handles, and stuff like that. and a horseshoe.
All around the foundation were nails, so Im thinking the structure itself was made of wood.

But the most interesting thing is that I'm starting to think the people who lived there were potters. I've found lots of brick but its a couple hundred feet or more away from the house, where all the pottery shards are. Well yesterday I found this tiny little round ball. Im pretty sure (i throw some pottery myself) thats its a peice of wadding used in salt firing. Some of the bricks are glazed on one side, making me think they were used for firing pottery.

Okay- I know this is long, sorry!!!--- I have had this feeling since i moved there that this lump in the middle of the field is some kind of indian mound. Its just, completely out of place in a big flat field. Its probably 15 feet high or so, but smeared out on one side. Well while metal detecting my husband spyed a nice sized (& super sharp) arrowhead right by it. There is a real documented Adena mound right up the road from my house about 3 miles away and this area definately had loads native americans, up until the late 1700's early 1800's when people started moving to this area (in southwest, ohio).

Basically Im all fired up to do more treasure hunting but I have no idea really what to look for or maybe Im in fantasy land. The people who lived there were likely poor farmers considering the size of the foundation.
Any advice for me???? Oh yeah the land is not mine but my land lord who is like 80 told us when we moved in we could do whatever we wanted with the property, as long as we kept the grass cut the way he wants!!! so i'm pretty sure he wouldnt mind a little treasure hunting. Im also pretty positive he would never know, I cant see him crawling on his hands and knees in the middle of 100 acres of cornfield and forest to find out!!

thanks for any one who read all that!!!
thanks for the great website!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: i'm new and here's what i've discovered, so far....

keep looking toy find more :thumbsup:

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

If you're going to be cutting the grass for him, I'd go ahead and ask him about hunting the land, too. What could it hurt? Might even get a little info about the histoy of the place. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go in there with a thresher or big mower to clear away a lot of that underbrush to make it a bit easier. If you're thinking about a detector to get you started, check out the Bounty Hunter line or look at a Garrett Ace 250.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to Tnet
It sure sounds like your sitting on one heck of a place to hunt and detect with.. best of luck hunting it and show us pictures if ya can too...

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008

I wouldn't go telling the landlord about all the stuff your finding, he might change his mind about not caring.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

sqwaby said:
I wouldn't go telling the landlord about all the stuff your finding, he might change his mind about not caring.
So you're essentially telling her to steal these items, right? It's not her property. Better to seek permission rather then chance putting a black eye on this hobby.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Shhhh.....
If word gets out locally you'll have archies crawling all over the place and the area will become off limits to your detecting...even if it's private property. If it is an Indian burial mound....it's a significant find and of historical importance....and that trumps property rights in most places.

I personally don't consider it "stealing" from a place that's overgrown and lost to the environment. If I'm paying rent for use on a property, then as far as I'm concerned, some coins or pieces of pottery in the ground are fair game....as long as you don't leave big holes or leave your footprints behind...meaning, leave it as you found it. And...your landlord all ready gave you permission if he said you could do whatever you wanted with the property. "Definition of whatever: Metal detecting is okay."

I love mysteries myself and finding places like that make my mind race wondering who lived there, what did they do...is it indeed an Indian burial mound?

I'd leave the mound for now and do some research on it. Again, personally...I feel things as significant as a sacred place, your "burial mound" , should be left undisturbed....if it is indeed a burial mound. It could simply be a dumping ground for your potters. But the foundation....fair game to me!

Research, research, research !!!!!!!

Congratulations on finding a really neat place and good luck detecting it.
Al

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

You're right, I missed this sentance:
Oh yeah the land is not mine but my land lord who is like 80 told us when we moved in we could do whatever we wanted with the property, as long as we kept the grass cut the way he wants!!!
But, there may be an issue, at least in her mind, because of this:
so i'm pretty sure he wouldnt mind a little treasure hunting. Im also pretty positive he would never know, I cant see him crawling on his hands and knees in the middle of 100 acres of cornfield and forest to find out!!
It's no fun hunting while having to keep an eye out over your shoulder. Better to have absolute permission, at least in my book.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

gnomey, if the land lord said that, go for it. how about where you mow the grass? that too. welcome to the site. have fun. i know you're hooked bad!

OP
OP
G

Gnomey

Greenie
May 30, 2008

well thanks for the replies, my son and i have just come back from the site where we found more nails and another horseshoe.

as far as landlord goes, well, i havent seen him other than when i first moved here around 3 years ago. I do know that he grew up here in this house, built in early 1900's, but now he's worth a ton of money and is a very busy man. ( i dont know if he's really 80, but he's old, at least 70) My rent checks are sent to the bank, so i have no idea really where he lives or how to get ahold of him without going thru the realestate company i found the house thru. When house repairs are needed, i have to call them to get it fixed.

anyway i would like to talk to him some time, because i bet he knows about it. I bet he went exploring in those woods when he was a kid and I know forest can grow up pretty quickly, so maybe 50 years ago it might have looked alot different. also there is a tractor buried out there so there must have been people out there not too awfully long ago.

as far as the mound, my husband thought i was crazy and it was just another hill, until we found the arrowhead. now he at least admits that it resembles a mound. :wink: :wink: anyway I dont think i'd dig into the mound thing without his permission, i'd probably need a bulldozer!

I won't be able to search underground for very long, because im just borrowing the detector. I'll have to return it to my friend soon. :(

I take some pics next time i go.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't dig into the mound!

But DO use the borrowed detector as much as you can for a while. What brand of machine is it? We can probably give you some tips if we knew.

Use the detector around the foundation as much as you can. There is SOMETHING there that is made of brass or copper. You just have to find it.

Regards,

Buckleboy

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

even poor farmers carried large cents in their pockets. ill bet there are a few scattered about!

OP
OP
G

Gnomey

Greenie
May 30, 2008

okay here are pics of some of the stuff i found by the rock foundation:

almost everything is iron. lots of funky looking square nails. i have not found one single round nail or bottle cap or pull tab.
IM000106.jpg

most of the pottery shards i've found look handthrown(throwing rings) so i didnt photo them-- but here are the peices of things i've found that look manufactured. i did NOT find the dime there, i just threw it in to be cool. 8)
IM000063.jpg

IM000064.jpg

IM000066.jpg

IM000065.jpg

i no longer think that it had a kiln. I think i was merely finding things from the kitchen along with brick from the fireplace. i now think the foundation is actually a root cellar located away from the house. there is no other foundation i have found. just a pile of scattered out bricks and pottery shards and square nails.

is it a marble or a rock? under my 30x hand magnifier it looks like rock. i cant really tell.
IM000060.jpg

found this across the field from the spot near the creek. should i dig it out???? looks like a chore, i'm only 110lbs!!!
IM000069.jpg

thanks for looking. if anyone has any input on the possible age of this place or tips to hunt i would appreciate. oh yeah i still have the detector,(which is a sears whites TR discrimatorII) my friend went out of town and shes not in a super hurry to get it back. yay!!!

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd

cool finds. congrats. seems like the kind of stuff i've found in my yard. no horseshoes yet, but i'm hoping. actually my dad found one years ago while digging, but he doesnt remember where

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

First of all welcome to TNET I am Brion.

Second, sounds like you have an excellent location to work with. Nice horseshoes, but I love that Mercury Dime it's so beautiful. Looks like you also have a horseshoe file. Maybe they also made horseshoes?

OP
OP
G

Gnomey

Greenie
May 30, 2008

thanks everyone for the replies. i'm goin out again today, going to try to dig out that can. also i finally found the instruction manual to the detector online, pretty sure i was using it wrong.

Pookie--funny story of synchronicity with the horseshoe. When my hubby & i first went out to try out the detector he wasnt really into it. He kept saying we wouldnt find anything and i said hey, we could at least find something cool like a horseshoe if we look long enough. His face brightened up like a kid and he got this big grin and said, "man i want to find a horseshoe!!!" At that EXACT moment- we spotted a horseshoe right in front of us sticking out of the ground!! true story!!!

relichunter, now that you mention it about the horseshoes, two of them are very rough & look like they could be hand hammered. the other two have grooves and notches that look machine made. also thanks for the compliment on the dime but i didnt dig it, i got it by luck handed back in change to me. i have three of them i've gotten over the years that way!! along with 2 indian heads too. i didnt know there were any wheat pennies that were worth anything until i found this site, it makes me ill to think of all the ones i've let slip away!!!

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK, good find on the old cabin/homestead. I'd be working that place over.
About the mound.....leave it alone. Disturbing mounds is bad juju. Leave it be.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

Gnomey said:
okay here are pics of some of the stuff i found by the rock foundation:

almost everything is iron. lots of funky looking square nails. i have not found one single round nail or bottle cap or pull tab.
IM000106.jpg

most of the pottery shards i've found look handthrown(throwing rings) so i didnt photo them-- but here are the peices of things i've found that look manufactured. i did NOT find the dime there, i just threw it in to be cool. 8)
IM000063.jpg

IM000064.jpg

IM000066.jpg

IM000065.jpg

i no longer think that it had a kiln. I think i was merely finding things from the kitchen along with brick from the fireplace. i now think the foundation is actually a root cellar located away from the house. there is no other foundation i have found. just a pile of scattered out bricks and pottery shards and square nails.

is it a marble or a rock? under my 30x hand magnifier it looks like rock. i cant really tell.
IM000060.jpg

found this across the field from the spot near the creek. should i dig it out???? looks like a chore, i'm only 110lbs!!!
IM000069.jpg

thanks for looking. if anyone has any input on the possible age of this place or tips to hunt i would appreciate. oh yeah i still have the detector,(which is a sears whites TR discrimatorII) my friend went out of town and shes not in a super hurry to get it back. yay!!!
this site is as old as methusila or whoever. nice. you've got an old stand by site. hunt the heck out of it. when you get tired go to a park and you will think "why didn't i go back there?" the mound may be a root cellar but it may be an indian burial. scary to me. no graves for me. your marble is clay. just like the one i found in my becky's flower bed after i crabbed about diggin' it for her! Bill P.S look for old potttery and botlles too. HH

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

i forgot, NICE STUFF!!!! you are a natural! oh, that is an old milk can. dig it slowly so it don't beat your back. it's about 30 pounds empty. could be a collector with names and dates. probably 200 pounds full of soil. get some help or a come along hooked to an anchor. tree,rock,root. Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread