I want to hear -your- metal detecting hints and tips!

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all-
I'm currently working on a Windows application for journaling your metal detector finds and keeping track of your treasures. It will allow you to add a picture of the 'special' finds along with a journal or 'notes' of your metal detecting finds, and a handy 'dirty money' clad counter. I figure I'll throw it out there as shareware and (hopefully) make some money to add to my MXT fund! :)

I'm hoping to add a feature of hints and tips when the app starts up. I'd like to compile a list of 100-150 tips about metal detecting. It can be anything. Your favorite digging tool, coin cleaning tips, digging tips, comfort tips, you get the picture.

I'm looking for your hints and tips. I'd be grateful to hear from you for your expert tips!

Attachments

• ScreenShot.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 570

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Great idea! Looks good.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig the large Iron (horse shoes,farm equipment parts,cast iron stove parts etc
get it out of the way

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Tip: Always cover your holes.

Leaving holes uncovered really hurts the MD'ers reputation.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig the iffy stuff :icon_study:
take risks 8)
never give up :thumbsup:

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
-But do wear steal toad shoes.
-Swing so fast that small critters don't have a chance and go-a-flyin.
-Wear a hooded trench coat in the summer-(noone will ever bother you)- ,
-When the urge is irresistible and you don't have a hunting buddy for the woods, bring a charged communication device(s), and a large sheathed knife hanging from the hip will deter woods folk.
-wear pants

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
I Don't know how intimate your app could become with google earth, but could be interesting.

Also (i haven't read the other posts-time constrained)- but Is there a way to create a set of customizable tabs for the special area, so i could say make one for coins one for relics, etc. Also as more of a logging program to keep track of special finds i would minimize or even menuize into a popup the clad counter as its only a minor aspect in my view.
(yes im aware this was a MD tips & tricks thing and not a critique on your app but, i have no tips or tricks :icon_scratch: :tard:

Your doing great work, and i will be looking forward to a copy.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
NEVER rub a find with your gloved hand or finger.

NEVER hook something to electrolysis and forget it for 3 days. ::)

Always keep a spare set of batteries for EVERY device you have and use, not just your detector.

Try not to hunt grassy lawns and such during the hot time of the year as the grass will probably die and turn brown.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Oh yeah one I forgot but do ALL the time now.

Carry a spare set of detecting clothes in your car. You never know when you might need them.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey

dont forget to include the one about having a good saltwater machine and doing research !!! If you just go out somewhere and try to detect u may6 be wasting your time without research...especially old maps of past parks and other spots.

LArry

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I want it!!! Let me know when it is available to download or buy! I would pay money for this program! So would many other people!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread