hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: "That sounds a little ghoulish to me."

SWR said:
Silver Fox said:
While sarcastic comebacks may sound like fun to the forum readers, in reality it doesn't paint an acceptable picture of you or possibly detectorists in general. One deals on a one to one basis with people who are curious. You have to keep a stiff upper lip and not let those not familiar with the hobby rile you for they are legion. Especially older people. They know what an automobile is so when they see one they don't wonder about, they've learned. With us, we are a rare sight. If you were working for an industry that uses metal detectors to find pipes, as an example, old people will understand the looking for pipes but not the equipment used. They won't think it's ghoulish, it's a necessary job. But as a recreational activity, it's new to them.

Treat the old respectfully, whether they appreciate it or not, 'cause one of these days you're going to be old and you're going to see someone doing something you've never seen before and you might think it's "ghoulish."

Old Silver Fox

Bravo. Well said.

I do not think the “older woman” sounded like an idiot or a negative a-hole ???

your entitled to your opinion,I'm entitled to mine....and i guess shes entitled to hers. :wink: i just dont quite understand why some feel the need to call someone else (who is minding their own business mind you) "ghoulish" or "foolish" or anything else for that matter.to me thats being a negative a-hole. nothing positive can come from it, keep it to yourself

OP
OP
cntrydncr1

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Hey Keith, thanks for the support!! And I would never come back at anyone with a snappy answer, let alone an older person. That is not my style at all. Jeff, i think my hearing is pretty good but now you have me thinking...maybe she did say foolish!!! Well anyway I went back again and I've found a few nice silvers. will post later.

TOWcritter

I would have said, "I'm with the coroners office. we are looking for a few dismembered body parts that were reported to be in this yard by the previous owner."
That should shut the nosey body up!....lol

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

some folks just have serious psychiatric problems and say things with out knowledge. i know it hurts some times but after, i think, glad i don't do that. in paramedic talk it's called a 941 call. a psychiatric emergency. tough to deal with some times.

papajos

Feb 11, 2009

Speaking of "ghoulish", last year my son and I were hunting some old campsites on state land in western NY. Found a few clads then got a good hit at a real old fire ring far from the road. Dug down about a foot and found a wooden box. Inside the box was a sealed metal box with an old mass card stuck on top. Could not read it but was obviously one of those you get when you attend a wake or funeral. when we shook the box it seemed to be full of ashes/bone fragments or something. Decided NOT to open it just in case it was someone's creamated remains. We carefully reburied it and spread leaves and pine needles back over the site.

Now, that was what I would call "ghoulish".

Papajos

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Who knows.

Old folks not knowing what you are doing
or who you are. :icon_scratch:

Who knows.

I always try to keep an absence of aggression,
violence or hostility, when I'm digging.

Better results overall; no harm done.

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector

NEXT TIME TELL THEM THAT YOUR LOOKING FOR A GAS LINE. ;D

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whenever I am asked what I am doing, my reply is always the same. "Im looking for a wedding ring that was lost"....not a lie, and it always works. Some people think we are low life scrounging scum bags. In fact, on time a guy told his son as they were passing by me, "see if you don't study hard and go to college, you will end up doing THAT!"

Rick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread