cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
"That sounds a little ghoulish to me."

I've heard metal detecting called alot of things...usually it is called weird by my friends...but ghoulish???? Is she nuts???

Last night my DH finally secured permission for a new site I scouted out in Swarthmore. Anyone who knows the college or the area will really understand...Swarthmoreans...tree hugging academians...a little different ...is what they are known to be.

We were minding our own business, detecting the yard of this property when i noticed an older woman watching us. Then her husband was watching. Then she asked, "What are you doing." So I explained that we were looking for old coins and that we had permission from the builder who owns the property. She expressed her opinion that any finds should then be turned over to him and I sort of laughed and said, "well you've heard of the finders keepers rule haven't you?" She wasn't laughing with me. Well I explained that dug coins aren't often worth much anyway. She walked away from me saying..." That sounds a little ghoulish to me."

So I guess she is entitled to her opinion. Do you think detecting is ghoulish? What do you think she meant??? My DH thinks she might have a body buried in her yard.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: "That sounds a little ghoulish to me."

sounds like a real idiot to me Deb. :-\ there are a lot of negative a-holes out there that want to shove their opinions down everyone elses throats. thats one of the reasons, given the choice, that i like to hunt very early in the day to avoid the stares and comments. at the end of the day, i dont really care what people think and unless i ask them for it, i would prefer them to keep their opinions to themselves. :wink:

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II

I've only had one person question me while hunting a private yard, I asked if they were the landowners which I knew they weren't, when they said no, I said "don't worry about it" and they left......

K

Kentucky Kache

Not her property, none of her business.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When she asked "what are you doing?" my FAVORITE answer is "Minding my own buisness....you should give it a try". She wont say a peep after that. :wink:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ya know Debby, I HATE noosey a$$es like that..

OP
OP
cntrydncr1

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

love the answers I should have given! I have to remember them. I was thinking the was a nosey old biddy

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

old hippies never die
they just smell that way ::)

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

What a jerk,reminds me of the time i was detecting in a park (i had permissoin) and some couple walking a dog started screaming at me to leave and that i was wrecking their park(even tho i was plugging up every hole so that it wasnt even noticable).

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

"What are you doing?"

Reply:
We are seeing who the nosey busy bodies in the neighborhood are, and guess what, you win.

( I like the minding my own business reply. LOL)

;D

Ray S

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Maybe Mrs. Nosey is in the early stages of dementia.

When I read stuff like this I just love peoples' comebacks ... then I feel prepared when it happens to me ... only by the time my turn comes around, seems it's been awhile, and I am caught completely off guard and take the slap full in the face ... stunned silent. Yea. I think I will start reminding myself regularly ...
if a stranger bothers me ...
to just...
S s c c c r r r r r r r e e e e e e e e e e e e a a a m m m !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:(

I would have asked here if she Knew of any other good spots.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ryaan21 said:
When she asked "what are you doing?" my FAVORITE answer is "Minding my own buisness....you should give it a try". She wont say a peep after that. :wink:
Great line :D I know why she said that. Ghoulish is the only big word she knows and she probably doesnt even know its meaning. :icon_scratch:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Real de Tayopa said:
HMMM Ghoulish? Isn't that Irish stew ? hehehehehehh

Sorry room

Don Jose de La Mancha
maybe down south ::)

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

While sarcastic comebacks may sound like fun to the forum readers, in reality it doesn't paint an acceptable picture of you or possibly detectorists in general. One deals on a one to one basis with people who are curious. You have to keep a stiff upper lip and not let those not familiar with the hobby rile you for they are legion. Especially older people. They know what an automobile is so when they see one they don't wonder about, they've learned. With us, we are a rare sight. If you were working for an industry that uses metal detectors to find pipes, as an example, old people will understand the looking for pipes but not the equipment used. They won't think it's ghoulish, it's a necessary job. But as a recreational activity, it's new to them.

Treat the old respectfully, whether they appreciate it or not, 'cause one of these days you're going to be old and you're going to see someone doing something you've never seen before and you might think it's "ghoulish."

Old Silver Fox

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

Silver Fox said:
While sarcastic comebacks may sound like fun to the forum readers, in reality it doesn't paint an acceptable picture of you or possibly detectorists in general. One deals on a one to one basis with people who are curious. You have to keep a stiff upper lip and not let those not familiar with the hobby rile you for they are legion. Especially older people. They know what an automobile is so when they see one they don't wonder about, they've learned. With us, we are a rare sight. If you were working for an industry that uses metal detectors to find pipes, as an example, old people will understand the looking for pipes but not the equipment used. They won't think it's ghoulish, it's a necessary job. But as a recreational activity, it's new to them.

Treat the old respectfully, whether they appreciate it or not, 'cause one of these days you're going to be old and you're going to see someone doing something you've never seen before and you might think it's "ghoulish."

Old Silver Fox

sounds to me like she did just that and handled herself in an exemplary manner. trust me, i have had the pleasure of hunting with her, she is a member of my club, and she is a fantastic ambassador to the hobby. :wink:

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

Montana Jim said:
Real de Tayopa said:
HMMM Ghoulish? Isn't that Irish stew ? hehehehehehh

Sorry room

Don Jose de La Mancha
hungarian! tell her you are weed whacking.

German me thinks...

jeff of pa said:
I would have asked here if she Knew of any other good spots.

LOL - "Hey lady, you look pretty damned old - have any good spots for me to check?"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hollowpointred said:
Silver Fox said:

Old Silver Fox

sounds to me like she did just that and handled herself in an exemplary manner. trust me, i have had the pleasure of hunting with her, she is a member of my club, and she is a fantastic ambassador to the hobby. :wink:

I agree it makes no sense to come off as Rude.
Even to Rude People.
by being friendly to someone with an attitude,
you just may get a lead for the best hunting spot
of your life.

P.S.
are you Sure she didn't say Foolish ?
she may not have realized you were actually finding anything.
Even though she Joked about you giving your finds away,
with a Poker face.

or if she did say ghoulish maybe she could
have given you an intresting history of that spot,
that she thought you already Knew :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread