Soil probes

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I hunt parks and schools. Recent drops.
Wouldn't be wise to dig a deep target, even if there were any.

I use an ice pick. I don't like awls, and can't dig with a brass probe.
In my soil type it's good for 2 -4 inches, easily.

And I'll almost guarantee it will mangle a valuable coin, or bit of jewelry.

HH
rmptr

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used screw drivers as they can also dig up the coin. Lately on the land I use a bayonet as a probe as it stickes in the middle of a pull tab or ring plus you can wedge the grass out of the way to lever the target out without having to dig a plug. Always a bad option except in the woods.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
coingairl300 said:
HI
I am looking for a good soil probe to uses. Any one no where i can get one?
Any advies would be helpful to me. Thanks Priscilla

write back
Hi Priscila: I'm glad to see your request for probe info as it indicates that you are not going to just cut a plug as soon as you get a signal. Using a probe is an indication of consideration. Like others I started with a nice, sharp screwdriver and ended up damaging coins. I even tried the one that has a porcelain-like ball. Trying to figure out how to know where the target was, 'cause my first detector didn't have a depth indicator and I didn't know how deep I was going to have to go before seeing what the target was, and not wanting to damage shallow targets I eventually settled on making my own probes out of solid fiberglass probes and that, for me, was the solution. Since I was in living in a major city and the parks didn't have difficult soil the fiberglass probe was perfect.

Because fishing rods are not found in NYC's thrift stores, I am now using a converted screwdriver whose blade has been rounded off and the tip is also rounded off so I don't damage coins, etc. The screwdriver being thinner is easier to use than the thicker fiberglass. Besides, I don't jab the ground, I insert the probe gently but firmly into the ground until I hit the object and I put my thumb where it enters the ground and when I pull the probe out I can see how deep my hole is going to be and I cut a plug just wide enough to retrieve the object, usually a coin. A probe is good for determining the actual depth of a shallow object.

I include a couple of photos to guide you. The first photo shows the actual length of both probes. My last fiberglass probe is on the left and is not as long as when I made it and that's another factor, they shrink with use. On the right is the modified screwdriver with the thin plastic handle now made wider and more comfortable to hold with foam and tape.

The second photo shows the actual length of the probe part and the screwdriver is long enough for shallow objects.

Attachments

• IMG_2338.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2339.JPG
    IMG_2339.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 186
OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Fox said:
coingairl300 said:
HI
I am looking for a good soil probe to uses. Any one no where i can get one?
Any advies would be helpful to me. Thanks Priscilla

write back
Hi Priscila: I'm glad to see your request for probe info as it indicates that you are not going to just cut a plug as soon as you get a signal. Using a probe is an indication of consideration. Like others I started with a nice, sharp screwdriver and ended up damaging coins. I even tried the one that has a porcelain-like ball. Trying to figure out how to know where the target was, 'cause my first detector didn't have a depth indicator and I didn't know how deep I was going to have to go before seeing what the target was, and not wanting to damage shallow targets I eventually settled on making my own probes out of solid fiberglass probes and that, for me, was the solution. Since I was in living in a major city and the parks didn't have difficult soil the fiberglass probe was perfect.

Because fishing rods are not found in NYC's thrift stores, I am now using a converted screwdriver whose blade has been rounded off and the tip is also rounded off so I don't damage coins, etc. The screwdriver being thinner is easier to use than the thicker fiberglass. Besides, I don't jab the ground, I insert the probe gently but firmly into the ground until I hit the object and I put my thumb where it enters the ground and when I pull the probe out I can see how deep my hole is going to be and I cut a plug just wide enough to retrieve the object, usually a coin. A probe is good for determining the actual depth of a shallow object.

I include a couple of photos to guide you. The first photo shows the actual length of both probes. My last fiberglass probe is on the left and is not as long as when I made it and that's another factor, they shrink with use. On the right is the modified screwdriver with the thin plastic handle now made wider and more comfortable to hold with foam and tape.

The second photo shows the actual length of the probe part and the screwdriver is long enough for shallow objects.
HI

I see that the one probe on the left in the picture, you have numbers on it for the reading the depth. Whats a good idea. I will have to uses some of your ideas in the field. thanks Priscilla

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use an ice pick also until finally after a few years it started to bend. I had and old brass rifle cleaning rod that I no longer was using so I cut it down to about 9" and sharpened the tip and then rounded it off a bit. It works pretty good for me and the handle fits just right in the palm of my hand. It's pretty stout so I can also pry with it.

Attachments

• DSCF0310 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0310 (Small).JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 170

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for areas where i want to recover shallow targets and leave very little damage i use the metal tent pegs available at sporting goods departments of wally world/k-mart and such stores. A grinder will round off the bottom end and the top end is usually bent or looped for pulling. Cheap and expendable.

OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CWnut said:
for areas where i want to recover shallow targets and leave very little damage i use the metal tent pegs available at sporting goods departments of wally world/k-mart and such stores. A grinder will round off the bottom end and the top end is usually bent or looped for pulling. Cheap and expendable.

HI

WOW! Thats a great idea to. Come to think of it ,i just mite have some of thous laying around the basement so where. Ill have to look for them.
Priscilla

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread