I purchased old fake coins off the streets of southern california!!!!!!

pistol perfect

Feb 7, 2008
southern california
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug pro
I am going to make this long story really short!!!!! I was at work and a guy walked up off of the street and said he was broke and needed gas money?????? he then pulled out some old coins out of his pocket and said 50 bucks!!!!! I took a look at them and I do not know the first thing about old coins!!!! so I asked why have you not sold them to a coin shop???? he said he tryed but they asked for a ID or license and he does not have one????? so I said 20 bucks cash and he said yes!!!!!!!! so I looked at them and wondered if they are real for days!!!!!!!! I showed my friends,co-workers,family. the only thing that looked kinda out of place was the huge quarter that says dollar on it???? so it was driving me crazy so I drove down to the coin shop and it was closed. later on that day I called a coin shop I found on the internet and told him the story and he could not believe the dates of the coins!!!!!!!!!!! he said go find a magnet and see if the coins stick to it!!!!!!!!! I am still trying to pull the coins off of that darn magnet!!!!!!!!! they stuck like glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are all fakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you enjoy the pics and its time for me to learn about coins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• cross 065.jpg
    cross 065.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 956
  • cross 076.jpg
    cross 076.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 923
  • cross 078.jpg
    cross 078.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 865
  • cross 080.jpg
    cross 080.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 843
  • cross 082.jpg
    cross 082.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 855

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Wow!!!
Except for the large Washington dollar, the are
pretty good fakes to me.
Great addition for your collection. :tard:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are still pretty cool!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well, hopefully no one here will mean to you about your purchase. I think they are pretty cool and worth the twenty bucks. Yeah, that Washington quarter was dead giveaway! ::) Caveat emptor..... :tongue3:

HH,
Moon

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1902 date on the Walker should've been a tip-off...

The Seated is the only one that's a halfway decent counterfeit--but it should've been at least a warning flag that there were two coins with the same year of issue, same amount of "wear" on them, etc.

Sorry ya got swindled. It's education time.

-Buckleboy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ellis Island Commem. is a pretty good counterfeit, but it is poorly struck--which for a Commem. is a dead give-away.

But I do think there *could be* one genuine coin in the mix--and that's the Peace Dollar. It looks more silver-colored, it has a good strike, it is a common year of issue, and--lo and behold!!--there appear to actually be "bag marks" on it. If that one is real, you didn't do so bad for 20 bucks.

-Buckles

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Fake or not, some pretty cool looking coins. Glad you did not go for the $50 price, but I think you got your $20 worth.

A lesson learned, if nothing else.

Bet you could sell them on EBay as novelty items. Hope the Feds don't mind novelty coins. :o

Ray S

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
If you really thought that these coins were real, then you obviously thought you were buying stolen coins. You weren't swindled. You are just part of the crime cycle in america.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
vwayne1 said:
If you really thought that these coins were real, then you obviously thought you were buying stolen coins. You weren't swindled. You are just part of the crime cycle in america.

Lonely on that pedestal? :D

John

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know anyone could be this excited about buying coins!!!!!!!!!!! Especially fake ones!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These coins are made by China. Here are some pointers to help you in the future. If the reed edges are turned so the edge of the coin is facing you and its faced up and down. As if you were rolling the coin on the edge. Take a look at the reed edges if the lines don't go strait across all the way around the coin. Its a fake. Next, if you look at the fields of the coin you can see uneven or a not level field. With near flat bumps of metal sticking out. Its a fake. Remember these for next time when you don't have a magnet.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah, time to learn something. I once had a guy ask me if I was interested in some old silver coins he had. He was carrying some along but said the liquor store stopped taking them. He had tons of peace dollars, Morgans, quarters and halves, yes large amounts of REAL old coins and he needed beer money. All the coins I saw were real and he said his dad had died and left them to him. He was an idiot.

I told him no, not interested and he needed to find a good coin dealer or club and meet some people who would give him close to fair market value. Looking at the price of silver this year I realize my strong moral position in that case cost me some real good money. I was an idiot.

Goes around, comes around. Hopefully you'll see him bleeding out in an alley sometime. Hole all those coins, bend them and use them for fishing lures until they rust out. You'd spend more than $20 on that many fishing lures!

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Be glad you didn't pay $50.00 for them/ The condition of the coins should have tipped you off, plus since the guy said he couldn't sell them at a coin shop because he didn't have any ID should have made you think that they may have been stolen and why would you buy stolen items? Lesson learned!

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

diggindeep

Oct 4, 2006
vwayne1 said:
HAHA this guy is a trip!!! is he saying he would rather not buy coins if he had the slightest feeling they were stolen? lmao awesome!! ill buy them if you dont someone else will!!

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Doesn't the back of the 1865 Washington DOllar say FAC on one side of the eagle and SIMILY?

madmacabre

Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
WOW some of those are super fake looking. I would never fall for that but only because Ive been collecting coins since I was 12. I think You can still sell them on ebay as Fake coins . some collectors use them as fillers to dates that they cant afford.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hey for 20 bucks you can have lots of fun.

When you go detecting with your friends- plant a few
and watch their eyes when they dig them up.

George

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Although these are fakes, they are interesting, and in my book, collectable. Considering the price of replicas, I don't believe you got swindled on your $20. I am almost sure at one point or the other, your fakes/replicas will be even more collectable than they are now. It would be interesting to narrow down their origin. I know alot of these are made overseas/China.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions