pookie-princess of rust
Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

I do a ton of digging after Indian relics. Roots of poison oak/ivy are always present but seem worse in the spring when the sap is rising. I am allergic to it at any rate and would have had to give up digging for the most part because there is poison ivy everywhere along creeks and bayous here. Another poster mentioned the product ......Tecnu.... I cannot recommend this product highly enough....It works like a charm.

After you have been exposed if you wash within 6 hours you wont get the stuff. Follow the directions on the bottle. Wash with it and rinse with cool water...dry and wash again to be certain of removal. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Happy hunting...and no itching,

Atlantis

Attachments

• tecnu-cleanser-bottle-TECNU-thm.jpg
    tecnu-cleanser-bottle-TECNU-thm.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 411

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
pookie said:
hmm. i guess i'll just stay away from that part of my yard then... the patch goes up to 10 feet from a stone wall... where the grass isn't cut. stupid poison ivy. who even knows if my cats have gotten into it. ? oh well... its just a wall... probably nothing there anyway.

Well...to be honest, if that is in your yard...I would try to get rid of it. We live on a creek and the stalks of posion ivy were taller than me and I'm only 4'11". The tree on the bank also had the vines growing up it with the white berries. Hubby did not take me serious when I said I was allergic to it and at the time ... was not sure if my boys were. I just could not get him to remove it...so me....I wrap my body all in plastic bags (all taped together snug over my clothes) and wear plastic surgical gloves (two pair). The only part I did NOT cover was my face....well, putting plastic over my face did not seem like a wise idea LOL.... well, the next morning I woke up..my eyes were swollen. At first, it was just a bit and I thought I had a spider bite or maybe a mosquito got me good...as the day progressed...well....I could barely see out of my eyes. And it was my birthday too! We had plans to go to the Strawberry Festival and I wore sun glasses so no one could see my ugliness LOL.......

I'm attaching a pic of my eyes....LOL...I did not have digital then nor did I feel like waiting for my pics from the photo shop...so I placed my face on my scanner...that's why the eyes are closed LOL......

If I had known this would have happend, I probably would have worn googles at least...and a mask over my mouth (even though I didn't breathe any in.) I had to go to the emergency room for this...took about a week for the swelling to go down...but I survived!!!

I am also PROUD to say, even though I got it bad, that was the only place I got it and I NO LONGER have poison ivy on the banks. I know...as I mentioned in my previous post....every SPRING I go around the yard with gloves and baggie and PULL all the sprigs I see. Sometimes I walk around and spray paint them a bright blue or flor. orange...so hubby can see them and pull them for me. BTW, he takes me seriously now!!! And we did find out the boys are allergic as well!

Good luck...go in with a plan and take back control...don't let it win...it will take over the whole place!!!
Annmarie

Attachments

• annmarieeyes.jpg
    annmarieeyes.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 442

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Never Never Burn it!!!! I know a man that just about killed him self and his neighbor doing so. Both ended up in the hospital all but dead.

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
I'm 48 and have gotten poison ivy all throughout my life.If the site was really bad (not sure from the original poster that it is really bad) but I then would hit it right after the winter weather broke while it's still cold.I'm sure the oils in the plant are running a little slower and thicker at that time. sure you can get it anytime of the year but minus all that foliage above ground taking up space improves your chances of not getting it.I participate in an activity that puts me near poison ivy all the time.I've found that since switching to wearing high boots that has really cut down on the frequency that I get now. It's not the end of the world if you get it,I just had it 2 weeks ago for about a week.
Once I break out in the rash I run the effected area under hot water,the hotter you can stand it the better,it totally takes away the itching for about 24 hours. Bottom line for me is if I really wanted to detect the site I wouldn't let this stop me.
I suppose if you had it around your yard roundup would get rid of it.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had poison Ivy twice this year. Lucky so far that I've managed to contain it to just my hands. I apparently dug the roots. For those of you who don't know what it looks like growing and i just wanted to show a place where I'd love to detect...but...this old house is blanketed in the stuff.
Al

Attachments

• DSCF1661.JPG
    DSCF1661.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 414
  • DSCF1663.JPG
    DSCF1663.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 414
  • DSCF1664.JPG
    DSCF1664.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCF1665.JPG
    DSCF1665.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 409

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
WOW!! I would break out just standing back a block away looking at it! LOL...that's too much ... I would NOT dare enter! The best bet would be to purchase a pair of coveralls and get a face cover and gloves and attack them babies....and then dispose of the coveralls, face cover and gloves with the ivy!!!

Just thinking though...that would be a great defense to protect your outlining property from TRESPASSERS!!!.....

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should have mentioned...there is a good bit of english ivy mixed in with it on that house. English ivy has 5 leaves and is harmless...but that poison ivy is very visable all over and thru it. If your not paying attention...pow! Misery awaits.
Al

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
deepskyal said:
I should have mentioned...there is a good bit of english ivy mixed in with it on that house. English ivy has 5 leaves and is harmless...but that poison ivy is very visable all over and thru it. If your not paying attention...pow! Misery awaits.
Al

Oh, I can't stand that English Ivy either...I have been pulling and tugging and digging that crap up! My neighbor has it so bad and it creeps into my yard.....UGH!!! But atleast I'm not allergic to that LOL

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
One of the best ways to sooth the rash after it starts is to make a batch of oatmeal,
let it cool and apply it like a paste over the rash.
Works as well as Calamine lotion only cheaper.
If you can stand it to leave it on...it lasts longer too.

Even your Doctor will tell you that
Brady is right to take a cold shower.
But be aware that this should be treated like a contagious disease.
If you come down with this stuff ...
just touching someone else will give it to them as well.

Be careful folks My son is getting over a 40% total coverage of Sumac.
Not a happy young man.
The Doctor wouldn't even touch him
LOL
Thom

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
wrong on the life of the oil, as long as it shines or is not nuetralized it can spread

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct on the life of the oil -
theirs is no life span for the oil - period
weeks after a hunt you can still catch it fromyou tools, boots, gloves and so on
if cat and dogs brush by it, they will bring it into the house.
Here's the really big problem -
Your privates
get the oil on your hands - go to bathroom
your privates front and back will suffer something beyond belief
Trust me - ive been dealing with it for years
the swelling and itching is absolutely uncontrollable
You will want to walk around the corner and drop you pants to scratch uncontrollably
Sorry if I'm being a bit graphic
Ive been there and done it so many times It makes me sock

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
bradyboy said:
Correct on the life of the oil -
theirs is no life span for the oil - period
weeks after a hunt you can still catch it fromyou tools, boots, gloves and so on
if cat and dogs brush by it, they will bring it into the house.
Here's the really big problem -
Your privates
get the oil on your hands - go to bathroom
your privates front and back will suffer something beyond belief
Trust me - ive been dealing with it for years
the swelling and itching is absolutely uncontrollable
You will want to walk around the corner and drop you pants to scratch uncontrollably
Sorry if I'm being a bit graphic
Ive been there and done it so many times It makes me sock

yeah,tell me about ! had that many times (both 1 and 2).went to the emergency room a few as a child for that specific problem ! makes you wonder which is worse,pain or itching like crazy in that location(s)!

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to have to go around to the corner of the back of the house to drop my pants and scratch uncontrollable - real bad, bad bad
not to mention my privates 1 & 2 would get so swollen
My eyes would close shut with leaking puss
trying to pee was not good
BS to the one that said it doesent spread when you scratch.
bubbles at times the size of half dollars
Had to constantly lance them so I could walk, due to the fact I had the crap on the bottom of my feet
Gives me the creeps just typing this.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eyes and mouth were real bad
would close shut and all you would want to do is scratch / dig and make it worse
would have to eat / sip from a straw for diner- no joke
My penis would be so swollen beyond belief, nothingexciting about it - so to speak
Having a bowel movement (crap) was a real event, worst was wiping
sorry again to be graphic but being SO very honest

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread