bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the stuff horribly as a kid but seemed to go through some of my adult life pretty immune to it. Now I've gotten it not too badly again on my arms a couple of times this year. I take a bag of wet wipes with me and when I know my arms have brushed against any, I wipe my arm down. If I get back home within a couple of hours, I wash my arms with dish washing detergent (use a soap like this that cuts through oil). This seems to help as I know I touched a lot of it the other day and haven't gotten it. I think maybe the amount I was sweating that day might have helped as well. I don't think the oil adheres to the skin if you are sweating profusely. I don't seem to have a problem getting it later from the oils being on any of my equipment. I guess I'm just lucky.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind, with age comes wisdom -
do recognise the plant / leaves and to know to steer clear of it
I don't catch it like I use to because I look out for it and take the proper measures

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
bearbqd said:
I got the stuff horribly as a kid but seemed to go through some of my adult life pretty immune to it. Now I've gotten it not too badly again on my arms a couple of times this year. I take a bag of wet wipes with me and when I know my arms have brushed against any, I wipe my arm down. If I get back home within a couple of hours, I wash my arms with dish washing detergent (use a soap like this that cuts through oil). This seems to help as I know I touched a lot of it the other day and haven't gotten it. I think maybe the amount I was sweating that day might have helped as well. I don't think the oil adheres to the skin if you are sweating profusely. I don't seem to have a problem getting it later from the oils being on any of my equipment. I guess I'm just lucky.
DAWN dish soap! the best. i work dirty, greasy jobs and the stuff takes off the worst!

goldman34

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2007
flyinguy said:
where are our botanists? if i remember right i think silvex knocks poison ivy out. not sure.
Silvex has been banned in the us..it was called 245T also i think...
when I get posion ivey or posion oak...I wash as soon as possible with soap and water then I try to put Jewel weed on the site...that works better than calamine lotion...

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
goldman34 said:
flyinguy said:
where are our botanists? if i remember right i think silvex knocks poison ivy out. not sure.
Silvex has been banned in the us..it was called 245T also i think...
when I get posion ivey or posion oak...I wash as soon as possible with soap and water then I try to put Jewel weed on the site...that works better than calamine lotion...
Yepper ! Those pop beans are a first response if they are around .

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
When I was a kid a became immune to poison ivy after having it numerous time. Found out the hard way that immunity wears off over time. Went detecting last year, about the end of march, in some woods. Gotta a good case. Kept getting it back too. Never did find out where I was getting it from. Maybe the pinpointer, maybe the gloves or the shovel...Ahh!. Watch out for the roots!. now I wash down with oil cutting dish soap, seems to work (so far)

KD5GAG (Ron)

Jan 3, 2009
louisiana, deep south
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Pro Pointer
ate 7 berries off vine when i was younger.....can roll around in
the stuff now, Grandfather told me to eat them...havent had
poisin ivy, oak, or sumac in over 35 years.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Blisters? We don't need no stinkin' blisters.

R

rig runner09

it goes this way for me five leafs let it thrive three leafs let it be

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
best thing to relieve the itch and swelling is a mixture of vinegar and baking soda, mix it like a paste and put it on

papajos

Feb 11, 2009
pjroo33 said:
Any time I go out and think I might have been exposed to poison ivy, I go home and use Technu. I think it works great at getting off the poison ivy oils. You're supposed to use it within 2 hours of being exposed or when you start to see the smallest hint of bumps from a rash.

I got poison ivy really bad on my arms last year and I am now officialy paranoid of getting it again. It was my first experience with that crap.

I run into poison ivy all the time on the job (landscaping), and yes, that "technu" stuff works great. Another thing to try if you cant get to water right away to wash is that alcohol based hand cleaner-works great to remove the oil that causes the rash.

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
fisher 1220x,gc-1023,tesoro tejon , fisher f-2, compass yukon 77b, tesoro bandito 11 umax
that junk used to never bother me, now its a different story but i have found out that if i get it on me, usually while cutting firewood, i just dampen a rag in the gas mix for my chain saw and wash the area with that it stops it dead,, nothing i know can live in gasoline.... i dont smoke and so am not afraid of sitting my self on fire, my chaw dosent do well when i try to light it ...lol :tard:

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI
I could roll around in the stuff and did so without knowing what it was and it never bothered me until about 8 years ago. I recall going golfing with some fellows in Oklahoma and we all hit wide to the left of a par 3 hole and into some brush. As we dug through the brush looking for our golf balls, we noticed a sign that was covered up in the brush. One of the guys pulled the brush away from the sign and it was a warning that the brush we ere digging through was poison ivy. Not a one of us had any problems with it.

My first problem came after a hurricane about 8 or so years ago blew by us and downed a few trees. I had to cut them up and some of them the rest of the way down. It took me a couple of days and it wasn't until after the second day that blisters began appearing on my arms. We asked some folks locally about dealing with it and they suggested a homeopathic remedy called "Rhus Tox". I bought some of it on line and take it semi-regularly. Since taking it I have not had another problem with ivy even though I encounter it almost every time i go fishing in the Smokies. I can't count the times I have been standing in shorts with rod in hand only to look down and find I have stepped knee deep into the stuff...but it does not bother me. Someone else mentioned having eaten berries off the ivy, I know people that have eaten the tips of leaves from the ivy...in doing that they are ingesting "Rhus Tox" which is the component in the oil which is so toxic. I don't suggest or recommend eating the plant but do highly recommend the pills.

Mike

PS: Dawn dish soap is a great suggestion for cleaning and removing the oil. Many police departments offer dawn to their officers after being sprayed with pepper spray in training or after it's use because it is so good at breaking down the oil.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been covered in it many times while out hunting or fishing and not a blister, not one. I had a highschool classmate that would break out from just walking down wind of it. The first time he got it his eyes swole shut for 3 or 4 days! He had to go take shots every spring before the leaves came out. He still caught it, just not as bad. I guess I'd have to agree with whoever said to shoot it! :D Shoot it with Roundup and then shoot it again after it turns brown. Monty

Mar 5, 2009
You can go to a local home depot or lowe's and buy a tyvex suit. it is for painting.
When you are done using it only once threw it away. The are real cheep.
Make sure you wash you shoes as well.

If you get poison ivy on you do not scratch it, do not take a bath and dont scrub it with soap real hard.
I always use calamine and usually in a week it is gone.

Hope this helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread