poison ivy??

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
poison ivy is actually a brush and because of that it is hard to kill. if you really want to search that area wear long sleeves with jeans and when you're done, wash all your clothes separately and don't touch your clothes without gloves. The oil from this will transfer on your shoes too

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poison grows year round. Unless you are sure there are good finds in it I would just stay away. Just when you think you took care of everything you get a little oil on you and, welcome to Itchy Ville.

Note, If you see any while hunting assume you have been in it. Wash or wipe shoes, was clothes immediately, wash and rinse detector, tools, everything you had with you. When I get Poisin Ivy it last over 2 weeks.

Ed D.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The oil from poison ivy is active all year, there is no time when you can't get it. Besides not touching the clothes when you go to wash them your detector will have the oil on the coil and shaft. You will need to wear different gloves to wash the detector, also the car trunk where you placed the detector. It is much easier to find another place to search.

Blythe_Spirit_50

Apr 22, 2008
Kentucky
That is some nasty stuff. My mother can rub it on herself and not even get a blister. My daughter gets it so bad that her eyes swell shut, that is just from walking anywhere near it. I am somewhere in between. I had some on the fence the other day and got some rubber gloves to pull it off and I felt the juice splash on my arm. I ran in the house to wash it off but apparently it was too late because my left arm now has some nasty bumps on it. I have tried several remedies and now I am considering amputation. I won't go anywhere near that stuff again with anything less than a haz-mat suit.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time I go out and think I might have been exposed to poison ivy, I go home and use Technu. I think it works great at getting off the poison ivy oils. You're supposed to use it within 2 hours of being exposed or when you start to see the smallest hint of bumps from a rash.

I got poison ivy really bad on my arms last year and I am now officialy paranoid of getting it again. It was my first experience with that crap.

Bugeater

Greenie
Jun 7, 2008
You would want to stay clear of the poison ivy ALL YEAR! It's not just the leaves but also the vines or stems. The resin inside the stems or vines is also poison. And... don't burn it because even breating the smoke will cause blisters. Perhaps someone else has a safe way to permantly get rid of the poison ivy plants.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
gasoline poured directly where the stem enters the ground will sterilize the plant and the ground under

S

stefen

Someone once said that poison Ivy is like a bad case of the crabs...I've had poison ivy and poison sumac many times. Now, as to the crabs ;D

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Gasoline poured on the ground. Come on!! Let's totally screw up the ground water. Especially at 4.00 a gallon. No, Let's totally pollute the ground water. Hell, let's just shoot it with gun. How about long sleeves and long pants, or wait till leaves disapear.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an expert when it comes to poison Ivy
The bottom line is, is doesent matter what time of the year
its the oils on the leaf that will get you - the oil is long lasting
dead or alive, the plant will still have the oil on the leaf and stemsand anything it attaches itself to
I'm big time allergic to the stuff
these days, the best you can do is take the step program of prednisone (steroid), but the problem is it will sort of mess you up emotion wise for a week or 2
its also addictive, that's why they put you on a 4-3-2-1 pill program
But its the best stuff to get rid of it in a week or so
best you can do is to know what the plant looks like, wear long clothing, gloves, to protect exposed skin,
when you get home take a COLD shower ( hot water opens your pours for the oil to creep in)
wash clothe and boots
if you have a doggy with you, odds are they picked up the oil have it on there fur, which of course you will catch
there is no life span on this poisons oil, if you don't wash the oil away (cold water and soap) from anyhing you have worn, it will keep attacking you
you can keep catching it if you don't wash everything
Brady

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
come on lets use a little common sense, I didn't say a gallon of gas. all it takes is a capful from pop bottle.
I can guarantee you create more ground water contamination every time you wash your car in the driveway.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Can't recall if anyone mentioned it in the posts....but regardless if you see a bush, vines (mature ones have white berries birds love to eat) or ground cover/sprouts....you have to get it up by the ROOT!!! As long as the root is in the ground, you can still get poison ivy!

I do this every Spring....get on my disposal gloves (like surgical ones) and my baggie and go around my yard and pull ALL the sprigs up I see. I am so allergic as well as my boys ... to this stuff. However, my hubby is not!!! >:(

Also, DO NOT touch anyone that has been in it, even your dog....the oils will rub off on you.

Me? I try my darndest to stay far away...but sometimes when digging, I may find a root and not know it till later on!

I'd find another place, but that's just me! Good luck and have fun!

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
for me poison ivy is no problem. i can wade thru it. poison oak, nasty. i spent two weeks suffering thru that.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some people can eat the stuff an wont be affected - about 15% or better - population
but others, if they burn the bush and inhale it, they get it internally and it can be deadly
I know this first hand

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
You could either do it very carefully, or use a shovel and dig up the poison ivy and toss it away from you and use latex kitchen gloves to dig and work the soil. You should be 100% good to go.

Blythe_Spirit_50

Apr 22, 2008
Kentucky
bradyboy said:
the best you can do is take the step program of prednisone (steroid), but the problem is it will sort of mess you up emotion wise for a week or 2
its also addictive, that's why they put you on a 4-3-2-1 pill program

Of course every medication out there has a list of side effects, though most are rare. I wouldn't consider addiction a problem with a steroid taper. It is dangerous to come off of it too quickly. The major reason that prednisone is tapered, rather than simply discontinued, is that prednisone, when taken for an extended period of time, can suppress the ability of the adrenal glands to produce natural cortisone. This is because the adrenal glands can shrink when chronically exposed to prednisone. When our bodies can't make natural cortisone, it can lead to low blood pressure, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and abdominal pain. There can be a host of problems with chronic steroid use but that is not an issue with Rhus dermatitis, for which a taper is used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions