Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outdoorsman 7-24-365

May 2008
    Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confederate CW (Virginia) belt buckle,1853 SL dime,1912 half dollar,1837,1842 LC's 4 barber dimes,3 mercury dimes,1893,1939 quarter,1911 nickel,early Pa. RR brass lock,numerous IH pennies
    Garrett 2500
    6 times

help interpreting this map ?

Hi everyone,I made one attempt this morning at finding a homestead but came up with nothing. This is fun trying to interpret these old maps onto the present day maps,I feel like a detective :-) I thought maybe it would be fun to run this past all of you. This one is made tough by the fact that the old map (right) totally left out that small valley indicated by the blue arrow.
    As one point of reference the 2 red arrows indicate where I successfully found another homestead (left) present day map. Now the one am trying to locate is that homestead indicated at that small black square pointed to by the green arrow. Would anyone like to take an educated guess as to where this dwelling is on the present day map ? If you want you can download the map(s) to your hard drive and put a mark on the map where you think it's at and then post it here in this thread.Closest guess gets the first 1800's silver coin detected from the site :-)

Outdoorsman 7-24-365

May 2008
    Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confederate CW (Virginia) belt buckle,1853 SL dime,1912 half dollar,1837,1842 LC's 4 barber dimes,3 mercury dimes,1893,1939 quarter,1911 nickel,early Pa. RR brass lock,numerous IH pennies
    Garrett 2500
    6 times

Re: help interpreting this map ?

ok my first guess which proved wrong this morning was where I placed that orangish looking X My new thinking is maybe where I placed the pink X Do you think am getting closer ?

Oct 2007
    DELAWARE
    CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
    4 times

Download Google Earth, find the site, and overlay the topo map over it. Then you can get exact coordinates of the desired location. You can load the coordinates in a GPS and it will take you right there.

Pete

us
    May 2008
    Virginia
    Tesoro
    4 times

Wow I cannot read that map
    __________________________________________________ _____
    [size=12pt]Proud to be Straight Edge[/SIZE]

us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/...raClient.shtml
    TERRA CLIENT download
    has an overlay with topo /photo or vise versa(photo or topo only)
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

Outdoorsman 7-24-365

May 2008
    Garrett 2500
    6 times

thanks for your help everyone,it's been informative.Relicman,sometimes it's so funny sometimes how the old timers making these old maps will over emphasize a valley's size and then here in this case totally omit it ! I won't have it have it any other way though,it just keeps me on my toes :-)

us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    8 times

[img][/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	croft pa.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	352.0 KB 
ID:	214320  
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

Outdoorsman 7-24-365

May 2008
    Garrett 2500
    6 times

that's sneaky Edde,I see what you did,you googled Croft,Pa right ? That's not the same Croft,or at least i don't think it is.....in fact I don't know why Croft appears on that map. There's no town there now,I don't think there ever was.Sometimes these "titles" appear on these maps for some reason.Maybe back then 2 houses was enough to name it a town ?!

Outdoorsman 7-24-365

May 2008
    Garrett 2500
    6 times

thanks for that idea swamphunter,I'll check that out also.......I often wonder how accurate it is to match up elevations on these old/new maps ?!

us
    Feb 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre

Hi,

I took the two maps into Goggle Earth and registered the old to the new (you don't have to know where these areas are on the earth). Then digitized the roads, stream, houses, and a few odd marks on the old map (oldVector.jpg). Then I turned off the old map image so that the old: roads, stream, and houses overlay the new map (newOldVector.jpg). This is an easy process. Please PM if you'd like more details. As you see, the roads line up quite well and the stream isn't too far off. But, as has been pointed out above the contour lines are not very good.

Good hunting,

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldVector.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	344.7 KB 
ID:	214329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newOldVector.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	344.3 KB 
ID:	214330  

Outdoorsman 7-24-365

May 2008
    Garrett 2500
    6 times

wow stogie that's way too cool ! I don't know how you tracked down that location. Can you give me a link to the specific google earth site that you use ? So by your calculations the homestead is a little further north then what the rest of us is thinking. I was going to get around to checking this location in a few days but now I think I better get out there today lol

se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    267 times

I think Jim got it right.

Also Billy think and look at the house close to the river, he wants to stay dry under floods so that position seems good.

I have lots of practice on reading maps, thats the only thing I rely on for good places here.

cheers,
    Eu
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

Outdoorsman 7-24-365

May 2008
    Garrett 2500
    6 times

here's my gps info from yesterday of this area.I didn't see this old road that goes by the homestead.It was early in the morning and everything was dripping wet from the t-storms the night before so I didn't give the area a good looking over.I was completely soaked when I got back to the car.The homestead that I successfully found is marked here as number 17 number 19 was a geocache that I visited ! and waypoint 20 was where I projected the homestead to be.Didn't find any evidence at all in the area that I walked through.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1780 times
    Banner Finds (3)

You might also want to consider that the old map's "X" is not a home-site to begin with. Yes I know that black dot is supposed to be a habitation, but sometimes........ I've seen on our old topo maps out west, a lazy topographer might just put a black dot where a cistern was or something. Or would put an "x" and "ruins" for nothing other than what was only just WWII era quanson hut pads. In other words, you are dealing with some on-site hikers interpretation of what the lay-of-the-land was 80-ish years ago.

If you want to get real technical, you can access the archives of the USGS in your area, and read the original note-takers journals/notes, as he prepared his work. Here in CA, that's at Menlo Park (south of SF).
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Outdoorsman 7-24-365

May 2008
    Garrett 2500
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by StogieJim
    Hi,

I took the two maps into Goggle Earth and registered the old to the new (you don't have to know where these areas are on the earth). Then digitized the roads, stream, houses, and a few odd marks on the old map (oldVector.jpg). Then I turned off the old map image so that the old: roads, stream, and houses overlay the new map (newOldVector.jpg). This is an easy process. Please PM if you'd like more details. As you see, the roads line up quite well and the stream isn't too far off. But, as has been pointed out above the contour lines are not very good.

Good hunting,

Jim
    I was on that road as indicated by my gps data which is just to the east of where you have the homestead as being.I'm talking about that double broken line on the recent map which means a jeep trail or un-improved dirt road.So that would have put me just about 50-100 yards east of the homestead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors