Info on Whites 5000/D coinmaster detector

nonot

Jun 29, 2008
Hi, Folks I am new here and you all came up when I did a google. To start with I no nothing about detectors, but I just got an old whites model coinmaster 5000/D GEB ser#176480 from my father in law. I need some help getting it checked out and going. It was made in Sweet Home Oregon and it's as much or more than twenty years old. It has not a scratch on it and look new except for a little dust. The control box metal is rectangular and is blue. There is a red faced intensity meter and 8 dials It also has a plain white "head" and it just says whites on it. I don't know how it works or even if it works because it does not have a battery in it. Anyone know what sort of battery it needs? type voltage etc. It has a door on the back that opens down to reveal a small white plastic compartment for the battery and I could also see the end of circuit board. It looks all good and may be a solid state design? Anyway it has a single pair of twisted wires there with what looks like a connector for a 9 volt battery. Like a snap on type of clip for a battery. Also if anyone knows where I could get an operators/owners manual for it or download one online it would help. Then if it works you all can help me get going on this finding stuff, like my coins or rings and other stuff I am always losing. Let me know if anyone wants any more info on this detector. Harley

Attachments

• whites 003.jpg
    whites 003.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,821
  • whites 002.jpg
    whites 002.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3,004
  • whites 001.jpg
    whites 001.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 2,915

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, it's a 9 volt detector. You can download a user manual from White's web site.

I have a 3000, a 6000 and now a DFX...all Whites and all decent machines.

The 5000 is a manual ground balance machine, which you'll catch onto pretty quick. Over time you'll forget about the intensity meter because with those machines, it's the "sound" of a target that you'll learn is the most important feature. You should get pretty good depth with it too.
Good luck and welcome to the hobby,
Al

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If it is the 5000d series II, then it's an ok machine. If it's a 5000d series I, then that's going to be a dinasour, compared to today's machines. The series II was a motion discriminator, and was pretty good "for its day". But the series I was a TR discriminator, that .... at best ... went perhaps 4" deep in disc. mode, and was a bear to keep balanced, tuned, etc... The all metal mode in the series I was decent (same VLF all-metal principle as today), but, since no one hunts in all-metal (they want to at least pass nails/iron), that won't do you much good.

HotRodder

Nov 14, 2006
Detector(s) used
White 5000/D CoinMaster GEB/TR Disc.
I have this same MD and it takes 12 volts. Go to RadioShack and buy for $1.68? a 8 AA battery holder with the 9 volt type plug on one end and your in business. My machine was given to me as well and it works great. Down load the manual from WHite's web site will explain how to set it up etc. Very helpful.

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I can tell ya I own 2 Coinmasters - a 5500/D Series 3 and a 5000/D series 2. Take a look-see below what my 5000/D found for me today. These old detectors, while having a high learning curve are still (in my opinion) worth their weight in gold. I've had 3 other detectors (Prizms and ACE 250 - 'cause these days, if you want the best, they're incredibly expensive) these old analogs still have somethin' to say. Take the time to LEARN what it's saying to you. Learn how to ground balance it, be patient. I set my discrim (in a junky area) at about 7.75 (almost at 8, not quite) and knock out tabs, zinc cents and everything below. They are EXCELLENT old machines. Keep the batteries fresh (surprising battery life with modern alkalines) and I can't stress, patience! If you decide to sell it, let me know.

Attachments

• KaukMerc.jpg
    KaukMerc.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,183

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a 5000D traded it for a 6000DI hipmount. Still have the 6000DI use it for one of my back up machines / loaner and also to do building searches. Not having to hold the coil plus the box over my head makes searching walls & ceilings a lot easier. Found lots of goodies with the 5000D. As stated when you get enough practice listening to what the machines telling you I think you'll be pleased with it!

Let us know how you're doing and don't be afraid to ask questions. And welcome to TNet!

OP
OP
N

nonot

Jun 29, 2008
Hi, I added a few photos of the detector to the original post. Note the single battery compartment. Please any comments are welcome. Is this thing good for anything except finding nails and tabs? Good hunting.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure! Once you get a little practice with it you should be able to find some goodies. You might try starting in a tot lot sandbox, that way you can get accoustomed to what the machines telling you without worrying about digging plugs in grass and replacing then neatly, just smooth over the hole and go. Once you get comfortable with the machine move on to other areas. Did you get to Whites site and D/L a copy of the manual?

OP
OP
N

nonot

Jun 29, 2008
Hey Boogeyman, Thanks for the encouraging words, I need some right about now. I went to Whites website and looked at several pdf files but could not find the exact one like mine. Anyone know which it is? There is similiar ones and some show two batteries, some show one. Mine looks like it holds one pak but no clue if it is 9v. or 12 v. machine. You think Whites support could help here? There is a two year old playground nearby to practice on, like filled in with tree bark like stuff, shouldn't find many pull tabs or nails much in there. Itching to dig.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I recall correctly it's a 12v Battery pack. Try looking at the manual for the 6000/D and 5000/D Series three. I think that's the right manual. Just to make sure give Whites a call. Everytime I've called them over the years they've been way more than helpful.

BTW if you need to get a battery holder/pack try not to get it from Radio Shack. All the ones that I bought for replacement split along the side. Electronic shops have some that are a better quality.

Let me know if that helped you!

pDogg

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HotRodder is correct. The 5000D GEB is 12 volt. It came with a rechargeable 12v battery (w/charger) and an eight battery AA holder. You can currently buy the eight battery holder at Radio Shack for $2.29 (Model: 270-387 | Catalog #: 270-387). Just dug my 5000D (series 1) out of the closet and found the eight battery holder was cracked so off to my local Radio Shack. I also downloaded the manual from the White's website. Have many fond memories using the 5000D. I'm using the Garrett ATPro now however. Will be giving the 5000D to my son to see if he catches the bug. (HotRodder - thanks for the heads up on the Radio Shack battery holder. I almost ordered two from White's. You saved me some cash.)

branman4545

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, thanks for this thread as I found it quite informative, however, I am in a bit of a delima. I am probably going to start a separate thread for this, but since we are sort of on the topic, I was wondering if anyone on here who owns a "Whites Coinmaster 6000/d GEB" or a detector of similar wiring can post a close up picture of where the 2 battery wires of the 12 volt connector and the 2 battery wires for the 9 volt connector connect to on the chipboard. My coinmaster 6000/d geb's cables have somehow been pulled off. I tried to solder them back on to where I thought they were supposed to go having no luck. Also, If anyone knows where I can find the schematic diagram for the machine that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon B.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Brandon, welcome to T'net. An easier solution (if someone doesn't come along with the schematics you're wanting), may probably be just to buy another 6000 D off ebay. Because those are rather dated . They came out starting in 1978. So they can be had on ebay or various forum classifieds, for very cheap.

They were good-for-their day (the top dog at the time!) but are "dated" now compared to current offerings. Assuming you're talking the original 6000D GEB, and not later incarnations (like the Di Pro with 950 loop, which is still used by some fans to-this day). The original 6000D sold like hotcakes. So they're not hard to find for cheap now. And then you can simply look at the wiring :)

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment.jpg

Brandon, I also have an old Whites that I pull out every so often. Also had a 6000/DI Pro Hip Mount for many years but gave it to a relative a few years back. Anyway, a bit of searching on one of the Whites boards found this tibit. Hope the link below helps.
6000d 2nd edition wire unatached

branman4545

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1306395

Brandon, I also have an old Whites that I pull out every so often. Also had a 6000/DI Pro Hip Mount for many years but gave it to a relative a few years back. Anyway, a bit of searching on one of the Whites boards found this tibit. Hope the link below helps.
6000d 2nd edition wire unatached

Thank you Mister Digger,
does give me something to go off of. Ill break out the soldering iron and refer to that picture and see if I can't make something happen.
Ill Keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Axiroad

Jul 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very informative thread guy's thank you. Recently an old friend passed away, we spent a bunch of time together detecting in years past. His family gave me an old "Coinmaster" 5000/D G.E.B. that he had. It is in pretty good shape, but the battery pack is corroded to dust but the plastic battery case kept the corrosion contained and does not seem to have migrated to the circuit board. I found the print out on line , it states the unit is 12 volt. it had 10 cells in the pack making it 15 volt. conflicting information above whether it is 12 or 9 volt. I really would like to resurrect the old detector if for no other reason than remembering the many hundreds of hours we spent digging for treasure. Any information on where to go to replace the pack? anyone found new tech to replace the old pack?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread