Buying A New Detector - F75, DFX, X-Terra 70, Sovereign GT or Explorer SE Pro?!

adamf

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Hi All,

I'm brand new to the board and haven't actually detected for around 7 years (I know...what have I been doing LOL)...I used to own a C-Scope CS2MX (if I remember correctly ???) and am looking to purchase a new detector tomorrow ;D

I live in North Wales (UK) where I am covered with fields, woodlands, public walks etc...and am in need of some advise on what detector I should purchase.

I have been looking at the following detectors, all of which are similar in price (apart from the Minelab Explorer SE Pro) and really wanted to know what you recommend...my next purchase will be based on your opinions so please don't hesitate to fire away ;D

Fisher F75
Whites DFX
Minelab X-Terra 70
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP GOLDMAXX
Minelab Explorer SE Pro (not sure if I really have the money but is in HIGH consideration ;D)

Let me know what you think...

Thanks in advance,
Adam

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Save yourself some money and get the Sovereign GT. It will hang with any detector on your list and isn't
as heavy as most on the list.
IMHO

OP
OP
adamf

adamf

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Thanks alot...the Sovereign GT appears to be a great machine but I don't know whether i'll be saving any money here in the UK ???

Fisher F75 - £639
Whites DFX - £619
Minelab X-Terra 70 - £499.95
Minelab Sovereign GT - £539.95
XP GOLDMAXX - £575.95
Minelab Explorer SE Pro - £889.95

I have found a Minelab Explorer SE Pro on eBay (currently £600) but it ends in 1 hour and i'm not sure if it is the correct move ???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=260255212105&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Please help this newbie understand the difference and best machine for general land use ;D

Adam

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I have just the regular Minelab Explorer SE and it is a great little machine. So far I have found my first ever relic. But like people say it is a learning curve and you have to get used to it. The only difference between the Explorer SE and the SE pro is that the SE pro has a different coil then the Explorer SE. If you have $1500 for the Explorer SE or the Explorer SE pro then I would go ahead and buy it. Try to find a local dealer in your area to see if you can get the detector for less money. I got mine for $1300.

Second thing: When metal detecting...if you decide to get the Explorer SE always detect in the digital mode and not the smart find mode. Digital mode you can pick up faster and learning becomes easier. Whenever a Fer is at 3 and COND is at 26-28 it usually means that it is a coin. If you read up on the machine then you will get what I am talking about.

Anyways if you don't have the money then I would go with one of the whites detectors that so many people have on the forum. I almost bought one but fortunatly I had the money to buy my SE. Hope this helps.

Go to the following websites to learn more about the SE:

http://www.minelabowners.com/forum/index.php
http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/174-1-minelabexplorerse.html
http://www.findmall.com/list.php?19

here is where to get one for $1300
http://www.metaldetector.cc/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=827

Hopefully this helps you decide on which machine to get.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
from what ive read the guys over there have been doing great with the t-2 and f-75, so i would think the f-70 would also do well, i would pick the f-75 with the DD coil over the f-70 concentrec

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Re: Buying A New Detector - F75, DFX, X-Terra 70, Sovereign GT or Explorer SE Pr

F-75 for the $$ and be sure to check out Rogers Relics UK :thumbsup:

OP
OP
adamf

adamf

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Thank you all for your opinions ;D

After much research I decided on the Minelab Explorer SE Pro...i've just this minute ordered it and will have it delivered by tomorrow...if all goes well i'll be able to report my first finds tomorrow afternoon ;D

Thanks again for your input,
Adam

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Re: Buying A New Detector - F75, DFX, X-Terra 70, Sovereign GT or Explorer SE Pr

I hear great things about Whites DFX

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I wounder why you did not look for the XP GoldMaxx power???
I think that one should beat the others in recovery speed you might need for some roman places and superb iron disc. :thumbsup:

You might just have chosen to fast I think.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are looking for depth, I would highly recommend the GT. Unfortunately I cannot speak for the others on your list. I love the GT though and it hates iron.

OP
OP
adamf

adamf

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Thanks again for your opinions...

I had considered the XP GoldMaxx (appears to be a great machine for the money ;D), the Teknetics T², Laser Hawkeye and Whites XLT also but because I ended up with the money to purchase the Explorer SE Pro...I really didn't want to be purchasing different coils depending on the way I wanted to use the machine or end up wanting to upgrade the machine in the future so I made a decision to purchase (from my research) the best machine on the market today.

It will be with me tomorrow and i've already located a great location to test it out on which appears to have (potentially) 3-4 small and 1 larger barrow?!...this spot is set at the highest point (390m) on the edge of a historic valley...it is the highest point for a 2-3 mile radius and has a 360 degree visual around the rolling landscape ;D

I'm hoping the machine will be with me tomorrow morning so that I can get a full day around this spot...i'll be taking my digi cam with me and should it end up being what I believe it could be then I could have some interesting finds to post about tomorrow :)

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love my xterra 70 ! but since i got the se almost a year ago i hardley ever pull out the 70 , love that SE :thumbsup:

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
Any of those would be a great choice you mentioned except I know nothing about that Goldmax.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California

Hi Adam,

Because you live in an old area laced with iron I would think about getting a detector having the ability of sending a signal between the iron, With the detectors you listed I would choose between these three.

Minelab X-70, Very good detector for both coins and Gold Jewelry and for relic detecting. (Fast recovery speed)

Fisher F-75, Same as the X-70 very good for coins and Gold Jewelry and for relic detecting. (Fast recovery speed)

Explorer SE, This would be the better over all detector not necessarily the best of three for certain types of detecting but it can detect ocean wet sand much better than both the X-70 and F-75.

Depending on the type of hunting you do or if you plan on detecting ocean wet sand you may want to consider the Explorer SE, Which does well for coin and relic detect as well. A bit weaker on smaller Gold Jewelry but does ok in this area.

So if you more into land detecting especially iron infested sites maybe either the F-75 or X-70 is all you need, Good luck and let us know your decision.

Paul (Ca)

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California

Sorry about that, Just seen you did buy the Explorer SE :) Good choice, It's good for about any type of detecting.

About all you need now is the Sunray In-Line probe and maybe a small coil for extremely trashy iron sites.

Good luck!
Paul (Ca)

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I think for the UK the recovery speed for the explorer might be to slow on old roman sites that are trash littered.
But still good luck!

The GoldMaxx is one of the most popular detectors in Europe.
It is supposed to be deep with fast recovery speed thought the visual discrimination is zero (aka no display)
The recovery speed of the Goldmaxx is one of the fastest in the market today.

The only thing I've seen that says that the explorer would be the best on the market would be the hype they use!! lol (nothing bad meant)

You will need multiple coils no matter what machine you would have bought, there are simply not be many ways around that.

I still think the Goldmaxx would have been a better choice.

Good luck,
Eu

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I have no problems with my DFX. It's done everything I've asked of it and more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread