Best Depth????

mthole

May 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
White xlt e series
Greetings, I guess it is time for some advice. I have a new XLT and love it. I am happy also with the 5.3 loop that I just got. I find it works better that the stock loop when searching mostly parks and tot lots. Now,,, here is my question. I know there is a depth gain going with larger loops. Is there a ball park figure I could play with. I am heading on a two week trip to old homesteads in Oregon and Washington. So far I have 6 homesteads with written permission. I want maximum depth. And,,,, White doesn't sell a larger loop for my XLT but does anyone else? If not and there is a significant depth difference, I may just buy an additional detector that is known for good depth. I welcome all comments. Larry

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your ball park figure is depth is about equal to the dia. of the coil on a coin sized object in most ground. With a 8 inch stock coil you have a field down about 8 inches, but the field is only about 2 inches wide down there. So you need to over lap a lot to really cover the area.

All things considered, a smalller coil is more useful for moving around all the trash.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should know that with a larger coil you can loose some sensitivity to small objects.

In dense trash depth is the last thing your going to get.
Also slow down with a larger coil as it is likelier to get a target or two masked.

I don't know if you can use the EXcelerators on the XLT else they are great coils.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 4 old deserted homesteads I'm working on with so far no competition from other detectorists. I don't know if you will be able too but, these areas are very clean of trash and the gain on my MXT is about to +2. I'm digging small stuff 10"-12" with regularity with my 6x10. Hopefully you'll be able to hunt within the upper limits of your machines gain to help you out.

OP
OP
M

mthole

May 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
White xlt e series
OK,,, Here is where I need to show some of my lack of know-how. I have never messed with "gain" I need a little "simple" explanation. So far I have been mostly sticking to stock settings. The dealer I bought from asked for permission to put in a " custom program and I started using it. That showed me one feature I hadn't tried yet and that is custom sound??? I like that a lot. I also played with searching in all metal ( switch forward???? ) Do you lose any depth with all metal? Thanks in advance with the advice. Larry

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No true all metal will give you maximum depth.

Lets put it simple more gain = more depth exactly what it does on your machine I am not sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions