Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

May 2008
    White xlt e series

Best Depth????

Greetings, I guess it is time for some advice. I have a new XLT and love it. I am happy also with the 5.3 loop that I just got. I find it works better that the stock loop when searching mostly parks and tot lots. Now,,, here is my question. I know there is a depth gain going with larger loops. Is there a ball park figure I could play with. I am heading on a two week trip to old homesteads in Oregon and Washington. So far I have 6 homesteads with written permission. I want maximum depth. And,,,, White doesn't sell a larger loop for my XLT but does anyone else? If not and there is a significant depth difference, I may just buy an additional detector that is known for good depth. I welcome all comments. Larry
    Keep the coil side down

Kentucky Kache

Re: Best Depth????

The Bluemax 1500 (15" coil) works on the XLT.

http://whites.kellycodetectors.com/searchcoils.htm

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2098 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Your ball park figure is depth is about equal to the dia. of the coil on a coin sized object in most ground. With a 8 inch stock coil you have a field down about 8 inches, but the field is only about 2 inches wide down there. So you need to over lap a lot to really cover the area.

All things considered, a smalller coil is more useful for moving around all the trash.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    308 times

You should know that with a larger coil you can loose some sensitivity to small objects.

In dense trash depth is the last thing your going to get.
    Also slow down with a larger coil as it is likelier to get a target or two masked.

I don't know if you can use the EXcelerators on the XLT else they are great coils.

Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

us
    Aug 2007
    Spotsylvania, VA
    X-terra 70 Sovereign GT WolfPack
    22 times

I have 4 old deserted homesteads I'm working on with so far no competition from other detectorists. I don't know if you will be able too but, these areas are very clean of trash and the gain on my MXT is about to +2. I'm digging small stuff 10"-12" with regularity with my 6x10. Hopefully you'll be able to hunt within the upper limits of your machines gain to help you out.
    Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know. Vietnam # 10 G.I Wolfpack

May 2008
    White xlt e series

OK,,, Here is where I need to show some of my lack of know-how. I have never messed with "gain" I need a little "simple" explanation. So far I have been mostly sticking to stock settings. The dealer I bought from asked for permission to put in a " custom program and I started using it. That showed me one feature I hadn't tried yet and that is custom sound I like that a lot. I also played with searching in all metal ( switch forward? ) Do you lose any depth with all metal? Thanks in advance with the advice. Larry
    Keep the coil side down

se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    308 times

No true all metal will give you maximum depth.

Lets put it simple more gain = more depth exactly what it does on your machine I am not sure.

Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

Sponsors