South Florida Shipwreck found, and I dont know if I can claim it? key biscayne

zebraman777

Jun 29, 2008
Palm beach county ,Florida
South Florida Shipwreck found, and I don't know if I can claim it? key biscayne

:icon_study:I have found a shipwreck in key biscayne national park and sea shore, I found it, and have found 2, 1/2 reale/ 6, 4 reale/ 1, copper coin/ and 1 gold link.

what I want to know is "can I claim the shipwreck"?

I know there is lots more on this wreck
I have only been on it 2 times and with no help I found this by hand, now I just got my first UWMD, and am geared to go back, but I need to know how to do this the right way.
__________________________________________________________________________________

and I have found a indian find too, but not in the PARK, I found alot of Indian stuff in about 15' of water, about 1 mile from the miami circle, I wonder if I can claim that too.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Re: South Florida Shipwreck found, and I don't know if I can claim it? key biscayne

Zeb, I can't tell you what to do. But if I found what you have. Knowing all the horror stories that have been told by those finding a sunk ship and running to the state and saying look what I found. I think I'd feel in no hurry to do that. You say you've been to the site twice and had no problem. I'd go to the site maybe twice a week or so and go check and find what I could and keep the pie hole closed. What ever you'd find would be yours and after a few years and recovering a lot of goodies hopefully there'd be enough money to try the next step. However now I don't think would be the right time to do public. Treat it as you would a land treasure. I'd check things out on the QT. Just don't hang out on the site. But that's just me. Everyone has there own ideas. I'd feel I had no reason to explain anything to no one. Ship, What Ship!

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Re: South Florida Shipwreck found, and I don't know if I can claim it? key biscayne

Theres alot more thn just finding the shipwreck to make it yours. I think that I would take a pass on the claiming it and just take a few weeks off work and slowly salvage the what you can than sell the find to a pro. Or just sell the find to a pro.

Ian

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

You have already made your first mistake.
Why do we all know about your finds?
Harvest the goodies and stay quiet.
Only heartache can come from trying to do the right thing. Don't forget about the root of all evil.
GREED!

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used

Just let me know if you need help................I will fund for share. But you need to prove that there is something to be found. I dont know how you do that without giving out the info.

Ian

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: South Florida Shipwreck found, and I don't know if I can claim it? key bisca

Let me restate what Radarwill said:

You should amend your initial post. You should NEVER post any finds that could get you in trouble with the State of Florida or the USDA National Park Service! NEVERNEVERNEVERNEVER!

If you want to try and claim the wreck for yourself, and officially go about things the right way, then you have just admitted looting the site, and the state (if the state has seen your post), now has every right to kick you off the site and possibly file charges against you.

I HATE TO BE THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE, BUT.............................

BE CAREFUL................Mike

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used

Mike has a good point............thats why he is a silver member

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Re: South Florida Shipwreck found, and I don't know if I can claim it? key bisca

Remember, when you post to an internet site your IP address is sent. You can see this in the lower right corner of your post. Other members don't see it, but moderators do. For all I know, maybe the computer savvy are able to as well.

The IP address gives the aprox. location of your internet access. If you are accessing free Wifi sites while on the move, you are pretty anonymous, but if you are in your house with a paid service, like cable, then you've just given out that info.

The internet is not as anonymous as you think, unless you take special precautions. So if you really want to keep this a secret - don't post anything and don't tell anyone, even your wife/girlfriend/high school buddy/neighbor/etc. who promises, for sure, for sure, not to tell anyone else.

Jay

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Re: South Florida Shipwreck found, and I don't know if I can claim it? key Biscayne

If I found anything like what you describe, I would tell no one except support crew bound under threat of De Gooning if they speak of it!

Then I would try to figure out it the site has already been documented!

If so, It's already claimed and your claim jumping!

If not, You need to start here and take it step by step.

http://www.nps.gov/history/NR/travel/flshipwrecks/text.htm

http://uwex.us/laws.htm

Have fun! Jim

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.

You have already made your first mistake.
Why do we all know about your finds?
Harvest the goodies and stay quiet.
Only heartache can come from trying to do the right thing.
==================================================
IMHO, this post speaks the truth. You already have people looking to get in
on it. Very suspicious to me. I would not go anywhere near it for awhile. When
you do go out, hit a couple of other spots so you don't lead anyone right to it.
Spend some time 'somewhere else', hunting, even if it means wasting a day.
If you really think you're on to something, watch your trail, there's no such thing
as friends if big money is involved. Good luck with it.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You may also want to remove your map in the profile.

B

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I agree with all the above. MUMS the word ! You probably shouldn't have posted here even, or at least, put it in a hypothetical question.
HH
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread