I want to share but i cant

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ever find THE prime spot to hunt but you cant share because of lurkers? Well i found one by accident and its killing me to be silent. In my area there is a ton of metal detectors some nice some are :tard: Back to my story i found a stagecoach stop just cruising the internet and i may have gotten access to it. OK I'm pretty much still an amateur hunter and i know that not all sites are productive. I guess what I'm asking is any hints on coins first then look for relics ?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't get your question AA...

Oh BTW I would never have trouble keeping my mouth shut. :tongue3:

Cheers,
Eu

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu_citzen said:

Cheers,
Eu
Do i ignore iron and only look for coins LOL :-X

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
Eu_citzen said:

Cheers,
Eu

Get the coins and brass out of it first. Schedule yourself a 10-hour day and hit it hard. If it's a visible or prominent area (to passers-by), then make sure you get as much as you can. DO NOT hunt this for two hours at a time, once a week, for the next four months! Someone will poach on you!

That's just my advice.

And don't worry about the iron. Pick through it later for the remainders.

-Buckles

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
aa battery said:
Eu_citzen said:

Cheers,
Eu

Get the coins and brass out of it first. Schedule yourself a 10-hour day and hit it hard. If it's a visible or prominent area (to passers-by), then make sure you get as much as you can. DO NOT hunt this for two hours at a time, once a week, for the next four months! Someone will poach on you!

That's just my advice.

And don't worry about the iron. Pick through it later for the remainders.

-Buckles
Good advice thanks

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
aa battery said:
ever find THE prime spot to hunt but you cant share because of lurkers? Well i found one by accident and its killing me to be silent. In my area there is a ton of metal detectors some nice some are :tard: Back to my story i found a stagecoach stop just cruising the internet and i may have gotten access to it. OK I'm pretty much still an amateur hunter and i know that not all sites are productive. I guess what I'm asking is any hints on coins first then look for relics ?
If I had your opportunity, I would not concentrate on anything in particular but would dig EVERY signal! Many things happened at stagecoach stops and if you don't know the history of yours you might miss some good stuff 'cause you were looking for something else. I'd look for hidden caches, hidden guns, hidden anything! And not just on the ground but on the surrounding real estate such as near and under rocks, in trees, etc. And pace yourself. I wouldn't hunt for 10 straight hours, I'd break into 2 5-hour hunts unless you do have the free 10 hours. But you may change your approach after your first outing. Also, being at a probable desolate spot, you may want a hunting buddy to watch each other's back.

Silver Fox

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Fox said:
And pace yourself. I wouldn't hunt for 10 straight hours, I'd break into 2 5-hour hunts unless you do have the free 10 hours. But you may change your approach after your first outing.

Silver Fox

You might not do 10 hours--but I would! And aa should do it too if he's up to it, and had some practice hunting that long.

If the spot is pretty secluded, there's not as much rush--just keep your mouth shut about it, and when ya get done hunting it make sure ya post all the great photos for us to drool over. :thumbsup:

-Buck

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is i dont have much time to do it i wish i could say more but one of the members of Tnet lives almost on top of the site. Maybe if he sees me out there we will have a proper introduction and both dig up the site. Old California i hope you read this bro but your not the one im talking about.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's secluded I would kind of take my time. However...If you can be seen I would not hit it until I could detect 2-3 days straight.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Go slow, dig everything.

Stay as long as you can.

You'll get a feel for it after a short time and maybe skip the iron, concentrate on what's next... coins, brass, etc...

Skip iron = skip gold.

And Frank... Don't share!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If, as you say, there are a "ton of detectorists" in your area, and if, as you say, you found the site "on the internet" (therefore, no secret to the history books, not difficult to sleuth out, etc...), then I highly doubt that the place hasn't been pounded hard. Even if the current owner/site rep. says otherwise, they probably just don't know either. No matter how much they insist "no one's ever hunted it before", odds are, it was someone else who gave permission. Like, other family member who's now moved on, person with game hunting rights to the land, tennant who's now moved away, foreman who said "sure, what the heck, help yourself", etc... Or quite simply, someone who just "helped themselves", etc...

In my 30+ yrs. of this, I can't tell you how often I've heard a newbie come up to me with a "sure-fire" site they just researched. They'll be reading the same books we read 20 to 30 yrs. ago. And what strikes me as odd, is when they add "and the site has never been hunted before!" I ask "how do you know that?" (since we already worked the snot out of it), and they say "because the guy who answered the door told me so" They simply haven't been there long enough, or just assume they're the only person to answer the door or phone there for the last 30 yrs, etc...

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Go for it at your own pace. The longer you stay the more it might tip someone watching that your hitting the good stuff. Keep your mouth shut. If you have a problem doing that , I own some masking tape. :wink: The place might have been hunted hard once....but I am still willing to bet there are a few keepers there. For all I know the mother lobe might be buried there. :o Good luck!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
If, as you say, there are a "ton of detectorists" in your area, and if, as you say, you found the site "on the internet" (therefore, no secret to the history books, not difficult to sleuth out, etc...), then I highly doubt that the place hasn't been pounded hard. Even if the current owner/site rep. says otherwise, they probably just don't know either. No matter how much they insist "no one's ever hunted it before", odds are, it was someone else who gave permission. Like, other family member who's now moved on, person with game hunting rights to the land, tennant who's now moved away, foreman who said "sure, what the heck, help yourself", etc... Or quite simply, someone who just "helped themselves", etc...

In my 30+ yrs. of this, I can't tell you how often I've heard a newbie come up to me with a "sure-fire" site they just researched. They'll be reading the same books we read 20 to 30 yrs. ago. And what strikes me as odd, is when they add "and the site has never been hunted before!" I ask "how do you know that?" (since we already worked the snot out of it), and they say "because the guy who answered the door told me so" They simply haven't been there long enough, or just assume they're the only person to answer the door or phone there for the last 30 yrs, etc...
Tom your right the place may have been hunted before i dont know for sure but if i dont try i will NEVER find anything worth while. Tom dont you remember when you 1st started the feeling you got when you found something rare. I hope i never get tired of chasing dreams, thats the fun of metal detecting...aa

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pepper2004 said:
Go for it at your own pace. The longer you stay the more it might tip someone watching that your hitting the good stuff. Keep your mouth shut. If you have a problem doing that , I own some masking tape. :wink: The place might have been hunted hard once....but I am still willing to bet there are a few keepers there. For all I know the mother lobe might be buried there. :o Good luck!! :thumbsup:
i need tape :-X

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Go slow, dig everything.

Stay as long as you can.

You'll get a feel for it after a short time and maybe skip the iron, concentrate on what's next... coins, bass, etc...

Skip iron = skip gold.

And Frank... Don't share! > Jim said gold :thumbsup:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, pick up a few "NO TRESPASSING" signs at the hardware store. . . that should buy you some time.

Now, back to your original question.

Montana Jim said:
Go slow, dig everything.

Stay as long as you can.

You'll get a feel for it after a short time and maybe skip the iron, concentrate on what's next... coins, bass, etc...

Skip iron = skip gold.

And Frank... Don't share!

As Jim said, determine your target universe then concentrate on the non-ferrous & "iffy" non-ferrous targets.

Good luck!!
watercolor

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks you folks for the PP&M and JD. Gosh that was nice. Haven't seen that before.

As for the dig. can you do it at night? Or late/early? When less traffic is about.
Tom in LA has a good point.
git er dun and have some backup.
Please post pics too.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hi Frank,

Just seen your post on this Stage stop, I say go forward and pursue the hunt and if possible get permission.

I petty much know what was in our area and it may be something I have missed, If you like run it past me and I'll share with you whatever I know about the site.

Plus, I won't mentioned what you share with me with anyone and won't detect the site if it's a site I was not aware of. And if you would like I can approach the property owner with you and try to obtain permission for you to detect here and I still won't detect the area. I will show you what to expect and how to detect these type of sites, You can trust me.

Back to your question, In these type of sites you would want to dig everything even if it includes common trash.

I'll be in your area this morning if you'd like to give me a call, I'll PM you my Phone number.

Yes by all means, Pursue the dream which is part of the adventure :)

HH, Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread