metal detectors

mamabear2

Jun 26, 2008
I am new to this and I have a question about metal detecting. Is it true that the more expensive the detecting equipment the better chance I will have at finding something or does it depend on where I go? I know that Florida's coastline has thousands of sunken spanish galleons and after a huge storm such as a hurricane the treasure sometimes washes up on the beach. Any suggestions? I live in Florida.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with other quality items, you pretty much get what you pay for in metal detectors. I personally wouldn't spend less than $500 on a new detector. Then again, you can get top of the line ones used for around that sometimes, especially on ebay. You just have to do some research on equipment first, know what you want, and be careful with who you deal with on ebay. Just look for a very high percentage of positive feedback with no negatives in last six months and you should be ok. If you stick with the major brands like Minelab, Whites, Fisher, Tesoro, or Garrett you should be fine. Florida is a great place to comb the beaches, especially after hurricanes. You could get lucky with a cheap detector and find some stuff near the surface, but I would rather have a quality machine that I know is sniffing deep. Hope this helps.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
It's good you live in FL.The dealers there will be able to tell you which detectors can handle the wet and dry sand and saltwater.Not all detectors can do that regardless of price.Goodluck and welcome to the forum.

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there. Are you wanting to search in the wet sand or dry sand? We have a store located in Winter Springs, Fl which is 45 minutes from Cocoa Beach Area. We have a showroom full of detectors and knowledgeable Sales Reps that can give you any kind of information you are questioning. Our phone number is 1-800-327-9697. Please feel free to contact us to get your questions answered.
Thanks,
Kellyco Chick

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no detector that works well in all types of ground, but the higher priced units are more versatile in the jobs they do. Detectors designed for the water are heavier to withstand the water pressure and rougher conditions. Many of these don't have a pinpoint mode as beach hunters don't really need it as they use a scoop. A true water detector will cost more than a land detector too.

Stay away from Pulse Induction detectors unless you have a strong back for digging deep holes for a nail which they love to find. But they do work well in the sand where items can be very deep.

Stick to the major brands like Whites, Garrett, Minelab or Tesoro. The new Whites Beach Hunter 300 now is a sweet machine.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
It depends on both, location and detector........and a third, operator. You won't find much with a top of the line detector if your standing on fill, and you can find alot with just about any detector in a place that is holding the goods. The operator's ability is also a big factor. Some could do alot more with less, while the person with top notch equipment who doesn't know their machine could do poorly.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sandman and others have good advice. I would add that location is also very important. I have found gold coins at only an inch or two before. You know what they say: if you're at the right place at the right time.... :thumbsup:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
A $200 detector will find the exact same thing as a $1,200 detector will.
However some have better features to use, like a built in pinpointer which tells you the exact spot to dig, without it you can find the same thing by swinging small areas. Some tell you what the item is exactly, some don't, but every single detector can give false signals and make a mistake on what the item is.

Only buy the one you like. You may go through 2 or 3 before you find the one you love. I use Bounty Hunter - Quick Silver it's $169 (you can find it cheaper tho) and I find rings, civil war items, mercury dimes, wheat pennies, parts to a 1850's ferry, etc. What I like about mine is there is no setting to worry about, I push on and start swinging.

Also about the location, you will always find stuff no matter where you go. Yes you will find more at like a beach or park, but there will be tons in your own yard. I found a civil war bullet in my yard, and my property isn't on the line where any troops were. You know in parking lots those little grass patches with curbs all around them? usually a tree in the middle of it? even tho produce coins and stuff.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relichunters said:

I highly disagree with this statement. A $200 detector is practically a toy in regards to depth detection when compared to a higher dollar unit. My buddy with an ACE 250 often puts his coil over signals that I am getting with my EXP II and he gets nothing on the Garrett.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i just recieved a f-4 nice machine but gets 2/3 the depth in air tests of my t-2, havent had it in any bad ground yet, soil here is moderatly mineralized, i dont think price is the factor, but research of the machines your intrested in, i think tone modulation and disc are as important as depth

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
bearbqd said:
relichunters said:

I highly disagree with this statement. A $200 detector is practically a toy in regards to depth detection when compared to a higher dollar unit. My buddy with an ACE 250 often puts his coil over signals that I am getting with my EXP II and he gets nothing on the Garrett.

Dude I mean they do pretty much the same thing. This is what I said right after it.
"However some have better features to use" like higher depth range, disc/tone, decrimination, etc.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
hi mamabear! are you mean like one? wait till pookie finds out you stole her avatar! you'll see a real bear! just fun. welcome! Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread