Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mthole

May 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
White xlt e series
In my opinion a pawn shop will not give you a very good deal. If there are not stones or diamonds, try a coin shop. They will buy at current gold or silver weight. Larry

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
from what ive heard midwest refineries gives the best deals, one of the guys on the gold forums here also refines and says he is pretty fair also

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What matters most to YOU? Do you get more enjoyment showing off your finds or having some cash? What matters most to you is #1!

Stay away from Pawn Shops at all costs. They will only pay you low spot for your jewlery items - what they figure their overhead is. Midwest is a reputable buyer. If you don't need the cash right away, hang on to it for a rainy day. With the predicted prices going up sitting on your finds till later might be the best idea. What matters most is what gives you the most enjoyment!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sold many of my gold rings for melt value at Midwest Refineries at 94% of Spot price which is about 5 times what you'll get elsewhere. Pawn Shops will give you pennies on the dollar and aren't worth the effort to walk in the door. You can sell them to co-workers or friends. They make great gifts to relatives too.

Remember that once you sell them that they are gone forever. All you might have gotten out of it was gas money for nothing. It is much better to save them for a time when the price of gold goes way up or just save them for looking at later. Money you find now can be spent or given to grand kids when you take them to Toys-R-Us.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also bring to a jeweler and have him melt and design a new piece for your spouse. A new ring from an old one.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Ditto on Midwest Refineries. I scrapped my plain gold rings last year and got $2500. Better than if you hoard them and one day they come up missing... They pay for my toys. :sunny:

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your opinions. You have all made some great points.

One of my reasons for writing was the fact that of course, on my mind right now is saving up to get a fancy dancy new detector. Although the clad adds up, at the rate that i'm finding it, it will take me a good 5 years or better before I can afford a really nice one. So, my thoughts were that if I sold some of the jewelery that I find, that it might help me to get more money faster.

Also.. please keep in mind that the jewelery that I have found has been really nothing special. If I found a nice ring or necklace, then I would consider not getting rid of it.

Meanwhile... for the odd ball stuff.. I'll take a few pictures to record my finds, then perhaps sell it off.

Thanks for the great info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread