You say youd like to find gold coins? Here is one method.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
You say you'd like to find gold coins? Here is one method.

Talking about American gold coins only, there are various denominations and sizes and weights. So in order to have a "fighting chance" at finding one the first thing you need to do is find out where the various gold coins register on your computer analog meter or VDI numbers. I doubt very much if anyone has found or is going to find modern gold coins as they are usually put away or displayed as soon as they are bought. IOW, they're not carried around in pockets as in the old days. That said, it means that the gold coins that are found by detectorists are the older ones that used to be regular pocket change.

THE METHOD: You want to calibrate your detector for the most commonly found gold coins. The first thing you have to do is get various gold coins such as the pre-1900 $20 Liberty, $20 Saint Gaudens, Indian Head $5, $5 Liberty Head, $10 Indian Head, $2.50 Indian Head as examples as there are a ton more. You don't actually have to acquire them, just have access to them through various means.

Here is how I calibrated my analog meter detector: I went to a SMALL local coin store and presented my case to the owner about wanting to calibrate my detector to indicate where gold coins registered. and I needed access to gold coins. He was a friendly person and could see that I was not a threat to him so he told me that he would help me.

I went home and got just the control housing and coil for my TEKNETICS MARK I LTD. When I returned to his store he opened the always heavily-locked door that led to his inner sanctum and actually invited me inside and opened his save took out 4 gold coins. They were the $2.50 Indian Head, the $5 Liberty Head, the $10 Indian Head, and the $20 Saint Gaudens (I could be off on the actual coins but these are close). He asked me if I wanted to try others but I declined because I was so overwhelmed by his generosity and being near the gold coins!

I told him I did not want to handle the coins. I asked him to simply pass each coin slowly over my coil a couple of times and I would write down the indicated log number on my expanded meter. When we were through I offered to pay him a small but reasonable amount for his service and he declined and just asked me to let him be the first I would show and offer any gold coins I found. I left his store exhilirated.

End of story and needless to say, I have never found a gold coin. BUT, I was ready and so was my detector. Everytime I got a signal on or near the numbers I wrote on a strip of paper and taped to the detector, I dug.

I wrote an article about this experience and it was published in TREASURE FACTS (Lost Treasure) in the early '90s.

Silver Fox

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Re: You say you'd like to find gold coins? Here is one method.

Let me see if I have this straight.
Get a target and wave it under the coil and record the reading.
That is truely ground-breaking, thanks for the tip. I can almost smell the gold now.

Thanks SF.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions