How to find cellar holes, old parks etc.

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Hi all, I was on the phone today with another TNet guy and he asked me how I find cellar holes. So, here is my method, hope it helps everyone out.

One day I was researching on the internet for an old map of the area where I live, and I happened on a few different sites that have old maps you can view. One of the map types is called Magic Maps, and I find them here: http://magic.lib.uconn.edu/cgi-bin/MAGIC_HistList.pl. You can google Magic Maps, and a bunch of different sites will come up. You will need to download their viewer, it's specific to these map types, it's call the Mr. Sid viewer. You can also google Mr. Sid maps, and a bunch more sites will come up. Another good research site is the Library of Congress, they have an extensive map collection, and they also use the Mr. Sid Viewer.

After you download the viewer and a map, you'll need a recent map of the same area to compare it to. What I do is find the major roads, rivers etc and make comparisons between the old map and the new map to get my bearings. On the old maps, they list the persons name who lived in the house, along with a little dot where the house was located. I find the road where that house is supposed to be on the map, that will tell me the name of the road. Then I open google earth and find the same road, and look for the house. If you don't see a house on google earth, it may be hidden in the trees, but more than likely, it's not standing anymore. I have found about 15 cellar holes this year alone by this method, and several old parks. Attached is a photo of an old Mr. Sid map so you understand what I'm talking about. I use a Central/Eastern CT street atlas to help me locate the streets. Good luck in your searching. If anyone needs help, let me know.

Richard

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 554

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread