Newspaper ad. What do you think?

kept1979

May 3, 2005
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I was thinking (yeah I know, scary?) of placing an ad in a couple of small town weekly newspapers about metal detecting. Specifically I would try to see if I could obtain a free ad in the "Lost and Found" section of the newspaper. I would advertise that my service is "free". The purpose of my ad is threefold:

1. Help someone who lost a piece of jewelry or family heirloom. (This makes me feel good :D)
2. Obtain permission to detect on private property. I would ask that I can keep anything I find EXCEPT the item the property owner was looking for.
3. Promote our hobby.

What do you think?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could open all kids of doors for you which would otherwise remain shut.

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent idea! 'specially the agree to keep things less their lost item part! Try throwing a local ad in craigslist.org

toolman61

May 31, 2008
kept 1969, wow i had the same thought process a coulple of days ago but didnt know if it would be a good idea. my thought was split fids in half though maybe to generous huh. i live in ashland KY and am new to mding so i dont know anything about this stuff. GOOD LUCK and keep us informed if it works for u think i'll try it. HH tom p.s. split finds not fids lol

OP
OP
kept1979

kept1979

May 3, 2005
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I'll keep everyone posted as I uncover more details. Now my local town weekly paper did not favor the idea of a "free" post in the Lost and Found section of the paper. They wanted me to place an ad in the "Services" page for $12 a week. Well I am going to continue with other local papers in my area and report accordingly. I am also going to place a small posting at our local library information board.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread