Reporting historical finds

dfsiewert

Apr 5, 2006
I have my first detector and next week I am heading to the coast of North Carolina. I plan to spend a lot of time searching on the beach (away from the in-laws). I know it's a long shot, but what if I find Spanish gold coins or something historical, do I need to report them? What would be the best way to sell them? I guess I just want to be prepared. Sorry if this has been asked 214 times.

Thanks
Duane

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No, you are not allowed to have any historical finds. They belong to ALL the public (afterall, you found them on a public beach, right?), NOT just you, to be displayed on YOUR mantel (how can you be so rude?).

You need to send any old coin (older than 50 yrs old) to me, for proper handling. You pay postage ;D I will absolve you of all guilt, and turn them in to the appropriate archaeologists for you. I'm just trying to convey a positive face to our hobby, and the preservation of our culture, so I'm sure you'll understand! :thumbsup:

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I really had to watch where I stepped in here, the BS was really really deep..........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What they don't know can't hurt you. It might be the right thing to do to turn it in, but it is not the smart thing to do. You will never see it again either. You'll be lucky if they say thank you.

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
check your detecting laws there also from what i heard from a friend there not many places on the beach you can detect.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Imminently go to the nearest Law Enforcement Office and report it, and turn it in. :tard: :icon_scratch:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
TreasureTales said:
dfsiewert, welcome to TreasureNet. It's so nice to have you aboard. :)

Sandman is right, in my opinion. If you found the original Liberty Bell rolling around in the surf, I'd certainly suggest you turn that it to the proper authorities. But when it comes to gold or silver or an interesting relic - don't tell anybody unless it is a true and trusted friend/relative. And if you find something really valuable, don't tell ANYBODY.

As for how to sell off your finds, it's always nice to have a friendly coin dealer who will work with you....anonymously. :wink:

Good luck, and above all - have fun!!

I agree with Sandman and Treasure Tales. You will be lucky to get a thank you the authorities and them they will put it in a box in an old basement and call it research.

OP
OP
D

dfsiewert

Apr 5, 2006
Thanks for all the tips. From what I know, it's a public beach with no restrictions. I am excited to get out there, I even printed the tide charts.
I doubt that I will find anything historical, but I always try to think ahead. The beach house has a big deck on the back, I plan to search under it also.

Duane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread