looking for a sand scoop

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No, Harbor Freights not going to carry something like that. You can get them from most metal detector dealers. Also KellyCo, or any number of other on-line md'ing dealers/catologs.

Once you get one, you might consider doing a modification like this: Get a hip-mount set up, and fashion it to be an extension of your scoop. That way you can scoop one handed, without even stooping/bending over. Or to get an even stronger arm-mount, find yourself one of those pistol-grip mounted canes (like they make for semi-handicapped people). Those would be stronger yet to be able to take the stress of digging. Here's a pix of mine. Kind of hard to see, but if you look close, you can see how I added the cane/arm piece. I also added a brace bar to keep the scoop from bending back with stress. Some of the more expensive scoops come with that back-brace already on there.

Attachments

• 1-21-08 066.jpg
    1-21-08 066.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 225

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would find the screen sifter types better for the dry sand and even the wet. But in the water something stronger will hold up much better to the different bottom types and last years. However the heavy duty types like the Nutall and Sunspot are not cheap.

http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.html Is one place to get the screen sifter type that doesn't cost much.

Attachments

• 700mini.jpg
    700mini.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 195

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread