An ingenious way to get "wilver" by a newbie???

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
An ingenious way to get "wilver" by a newbie???

Hi, didn't know where else to put this, but since the "wilver" I get will be new to me today I am posting here. I only started md'ing a few weeks ago and so far I have not found any silver, just a 1928 buffalo nickel and a very few wheaties, otherwise, all clad. And I know it is my own fault as I haven't done any research and have just been going to local parks trying to learn my machine. However, tonight I figured out what to do with all that clad, I am going to buy the silver coins I wish I had found with it on Ebay!!!! LOL. Scoff if you will but I already have an 1896 o Morgan dollar for 23 bucks that I think is worth closer to 50 and am now perusing the seated halves from 40 yrs earlier. Maybe this is cheating, but I would never claim to have dug them, but will set those aside that I bought with my dug clad. And maybe some other silver starved newbie will think this is an idea worth trying. Good luck to all out there. T.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: An ingenious way to get "wilver" by a newbie???

That's a GREAT way to dispose of your Clad.

:thumbsup:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I first started metal detecting in the 80's, I also used my clad finds to purchase old coins. Those coins have appreciated many times over in value and were a much better use of the money than cashing it in and wasting it on other things.

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

Wasn't sure what i was gonna do with my clad but you've given me a great idea!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
I like to use my found clad to destroy the CoinStar machine at Wal-Mart.

I use mine to destroy the DeathStar instead.

Attachments

• DeathStar.jpg
    DeathStar.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 725

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Go back to where you found the Buffalo and the wheats. Silver is there, most likely in the form of Mercury.

OP
OP
tford62

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6

TooManyHobbies said:
Go back to where you found the Buffalo and the wheats. Silver is there, most likely in the form of Mercury.

I don't know where to start this post, I read your reply this afternoon on the alert sent to my Blackberry, and I was thinking, "Dude, if you only knew how many times I have been back to that park." I work 12 hr shifts, but when I got home this afternoon, about 5:30, I gave my 3 yr old daughter a hug and a kiss and told her I was going to the park for an hour, asked if she wanted to go and take Mommy with us, but she didn't.............so I announced I was going dirt fishing for an hour and headed out the door. I felt a little guilty about not spending more time with Kella, but she was deep into Max and Ruby anyway and she wasn't going to miss me for an hour or so. I went to the part of the park that is now a softball/soccer field. It has been spitting out quarters left and right so the clad was adding up fast, but I thought it was probably a newer part of the park. Well, tonight I only found .94 cents, so I wasn't getting rich. I started thinking I should be going home and spending some time with the girls. I got a real weak and deep penny/dime signal on the M6, which I am still learning. If I get a weak silver signal, all I have found so far is a lead pipe a foot deep, or I have dug to China and found absolutely nothing. I tell everyone the machine is better than the operator at this point. It proved it to me about 10 days ago when it found a wheatie with a .22 casing laying on top of it. It said penny signal then gave a lower VDI number, but the sound was good so I dug it and the M6 proved itself. Ok, back to tonight, I know this post is going to be all over the place and I apologize, the signal was weak and I was passing the coil back and forth over it and I think I even kicked at the ground, unsure if I was going to dig nine inches for a lead pipe tonight before heading home or if I should just head home when a man came up to me. He was carrying a shuffle board cue stick and he asked me, "Are you looking for something?", in a tone of voice like are you looking for something in particular, that you lost? I don't think he had an official capacity at the park, might have just been a volunteer picking up equipment left laying around today. Like a dummy all I could spit out was, "No, just listening for metal, seeing what's under the ground." And he took off further down the field. He almost made me feel like getting out of there right then, felt like I wasn't wanted, but I was still absentmindedly passing the coil back and forth over the penny/dime sound. Man, it was weak..............but I decided I was strong and not going to be driven off the park grounds that easily and I dug down just about as deeply as my trowel allowed and pulled out the plug. I passed it over the coil and got nothing, not beep. So, I reached in with my left hand and scooped up all the loose dirt in the whole, it was a moist and very dark. I passed my hand in front of the coil and got a loud hit. I figured I had a penny in my hand. I opened my hand and looked in and what I saw wasn't a memorial at all, I saw SILVER!!!!! I had found SILVER!!!! I remembered your post this afternoon and saw a female face pasted with some dark earth and thought, "That guy was right, he won't believe I found a Mercury dime on this very afternoon.", but after more careful examination, I realized I had dug a 1903 Barber dime. I did dig a couple of more plugs, but decided I had had enough excitement for one day and came home to the girls. My wife is giving our daughter a bath right now, so I am going to go share in some family time and revel in my dime find. Oh, it isn't in very great shape, not valuable to anyone but me, she is worn, paper thin, and has some dark gray discoloring, but she will always be my first and I suspect my favorite. This is a great hobby and thanks for giving your time to read this string of posts, especially mine. T.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

WTG,a Barber is a awesome first silver! :thumbsup:I use an M-6(though I just picked up a used Explorer) and it is a real nice machine.It's real easy to learn and find the good stuff right away.I've found over 110 silver coins with it in 16 months.HH

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NO, NO, NO, you ruined it. It was SUPPOSED to be a MERCURY. :icon_scratch: :hello2:
My powers are too strong. Congrats on the find. :wav:

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

I save mine 'til the end of the season and then get something nice. I spent $60 on this penny last November, I could probably get it graded in an "MS" range. Keep at it, one things for sure, regular clad won't appreciate, but if you start collectin coins too, mine will go up in value !!

Attachments

• 2007 clad buy.jpg
    2007 clad buy.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 2007 clad buy.jpg
    2007 clad buy.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 332

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

its called "find upgrading" -- exchanging lots of crappy clad for good quality coins --been doing it for quite some time -- at my local coin store :wink: Ivan

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I did the exact same thing when I first started detecting..cashing in clad to buy old coins. It's a great idea. The first one I bought was an 1896 Morgan dollar that looks like it was minted yesterday. I also purchased other coins I wanted for my collection.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Nat

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I first started metal detecting, I dug a lot of clad, not so much anymore though. However, I turned that clad into these beauties. For all the time and effort it takes to find all that clad, buying silver coins with it is a great reward. Congrats on your first Barber too, that is an awesome first silver!

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 318
  • silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 320

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

if you don't have a digital camera save your clad for one of those we sure would like to see pics of your finds.

I do the same thing I save money and invest in silver coins.....can't afford the gold ones yet!

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

great for you guy! that first and every silver is nice. i still get hopped up on any silver. wait till i find a gold coin. you will here the screamin'!

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You know... I have been collecting my clad, thinking I'll save up to get a nice detector some day. Now you've given me a new idea!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread