Thinking about purchasing a detector
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

May 2006

Thinking about purchasing a detector

My question is how much does one need to spend to get a decent detector ? Please don't respond with buy the most expensive that you can afford.Also which do you reccomend to stay away from ? Would like to purchase a decent one that you don't need to take night classes to learn.Some have told me that some are hard to figure out and use.My purpose I guess would be just general detecting In Minnesota (Winona) Also if anyone knows of places to detect in my area would also be helpful.Thanks in advance for your help !

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3987 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Thinking about purchasing a detector

You don't need a expensive detector to have fun, though many hunters get a lot of satisfaction from having more bells and whistles. Buy one of the major brands like Whites, Tesoro, Garrett or Minelab and plan on spending near $200.00 upwards for a decent one. Suggest you visit the manufactures websites to learn about their models and see what you want to spend. I could name a few detectors as everyone could, but you really need to look at what you can afford. You can always upgrade later too as you gain experience.

Welcome to the forum and hobby.
    Sandman
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    40313 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

also once you have narrowed it down
    Go to our Reviews by Owners section.
    and read what others have to say.
    and take the Good & Bad points into Consideration.

And since your Not planning on spending enough
    for a Multi Frequency,
    I'm going to suggest something Most don't.

IF there are others in your area,
    Find out what they are using & Buy something
    different that runs on a different Frequency
    different brand

us
    Feb 2008
    Central MA
    Minelab Sovereign GT
    9 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio
    jbclean...

Welcome to the Forum ...

Since you are new to the hobby you should not spend a fortune on a detector ... Sandman is right ~ a 200 dollar machine will find you some good stuff provided you learn it ... Most of us start with "lesser expensive" machines and once we become addicted to this great hobby some feel an UPGRADE my be the way to go...However an UPGRADE does not mean you will find more things ... It all boils down to how well you learn your machine ... There are a ton of good ones out there ~ Do some research , make a decision & start having fun ...

It's a Splendoriffic Hobby ~ Nick

Nick is correct, as usual. I do quite well with my little Sovereign GT.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links