Thinking about purchasing a detector

jbclean

May 6, 2006
My question is how much does one need to spend to get a decent detector ? Please don't respond with buy the most expensive that you can afford.Also which do you reccomend to stay away from ? Would like to purchase a decent one that you don't need to take night classes to learn.Some have told me that some are hard to figure out and use.My purpose I guess would be just general detecting In Minnesota (Winona) Also if anyone knows of places to detect in my area would also be helpful.Thanks in advance for your help ! :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need a expensive detector to have fun, though many hunters get a lot of satisfaction from having more bells and whistles. Buy one of the major brands like Whites, Tesoro, Garrett or Minelab and plan on spending near $200.00 upwards for a decent one. Suggest you visit the manufactures websites to learn about their models and see what you want to spend. I could name a few detectors as everyone could, but you really need to look at what you can afford. You can always upgrade later too as you gain experience.

Welcome to the forum and hobby.
Sandman

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also once you have narrowed it down
Go to our Reviews by Owners section.
and read what others have to say.
and take the Good & Bad points into Consideration.

And since your Not planning on spending enough
for a Multi Frequency,
I'm going to suggest something Most don't.

IF there are others in your area,
Find out what they are using & Buy something
different that runs on a different Frequency :wink:
different brand

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
jbclean...

Welcome to the Forum ...

Since you are new to the hobby you should not spend a fortune on a detector ... Sandman is right ~ a 200 dollar machine will find you some good stuff provided you learn it ... Most of us start with "lesser expensive" machines and once we become addicted to this great hobby some feel an UPGRADE my be the way to go...However an UPGRADE does not mean you will find more things ... It all boils down to how well you learn your machine ... There are a ton of good ones out there ~ Do some research , make a decision & start having fun ...

It's a Splendoriffic Hobby ~ Nick

Nick is correct, as usual. I do quite well with my little Sovereign GT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread