Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean, but I'm not really worried... I'll be 26 in November & my girlfriend will be 25 in December... we were both into MDing before we even met. And alot of my friends whom I talk to about the hobby are extremely fascinated with it, they just usually aren't willing or aren't able to put in for a detector. I think the interest is there, it just takes some nudging to get them into it. Then again, I don't think alot of detectorists are willing to recruit a ton of new people, because it's less huntable area for themselves. lol

The MD groups are kinda a total different monster all together... I'm actually kinda nervous about going to one, even though I'm really into the hobby myself. It would be a challenge to get a younger group of people to come out to a "meeting" for something like that.

Bran <><

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Everytime I walk on the beach with my Minelab, my wife walks off in the oppersite direction, she is highly embarressed about this whole thing, however I played a joke on her the one day, I loaned a nice chunky solid gold chain and a diamond ring with lots of stones on it, from my friend, I made out that I had found this stuff on the beach and showed my wife, well she wanted everything, I told her no ways, I had had to dig all the holes and the stuff was mine, well she was very >:( towards me when we got home and I had told her the true story :wink: ;D

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
lol. ;D
Africa said:
Everytime I walk on the beach with my Minelab, my wife walks off in the oppersite direction, she is highly embarressed about this whole thing, however I played a joke on her the one day, I loaned a nice chunky solid gold chain and a diamond ring with lots of stones on it, from my friend, I made out that I had found this stuff on the beach and showed my wife, well she wanted everything, I told her no ways, I had had to dig all the holes and the stuff was mine, well she was very >:( towards me when we got home and I had told her the true story :wink: ;D

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is some times a pain but when your out and a kid asks questions, take the time to show them what you are doing. Kids are very impressionable and remember things for years to come. You may be teaching a future MD'er.

B

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I turned 26 a couple of months ago and have been detecting for 3 years now. Sadly, I have yet to meet anyone even close to my age in my neck of the woods to go out digging with.

Most people I know sort of turn up their nose at the hobby.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6, it may help if ya' put up your location under your profile info... for instance, I'm from Saint Petersburg, FL... and I go to college in Springfield, Missouri... so I have both, just in case I come across some people from either place.
You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes when you're able to see everyone's locations (including your own) here on T-Net!

Bran <><

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
bscofield6, it may help if ya' put up your location under your profile info... for instance, I'm from Saint Petersburg, FL... and I go to college in Springfield, Missouri... so I have both, just in case I come across some people from either place.
You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes when you're able to see everyone's locations (including your own) here on T-Net!

Bran <><

I did have it up until yesterday. I started posting my finds again recently and too many people have started wanting to come detect with me at the spots that I have worked hard to find.

When you start making decent finds everybody wants to detect with you.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, no kiddin'... I don't think I'd care if it were just one other person, so long as I'm not going by myself all the time. It would probably have to be someone I already previously knew and trusted though. People do come out of the woodwork when you show up with finds.
Personally, sometimes I feel like being alone... but most of the time it would be nice to have another person along with me.

Bran <><

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
Yeah, no kiddin'... I don't think I'd care if it were just one other person, so long as I'm not going by myself all the time. It would probably have to be someone I already previously knew and trusted though. People do come out of the woodwork when you show up with finds.
Personally, sometimes I feel like being alone... but most of the time it would be nice to have another person along with me.

Bran <><

Yeah, I've got a small core group of guys that I have been detecting with for a while. But on some other forums some guys have started wanting to detect with me, which is fine, but I don't like taking them to the spots that have been giving up some decent silver here recently.

You in St. Pete right now? I will be down in that area from the 21st to the 25th trying to find some gold along the coast with my Excalibur.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
Yeah, I've got a small core group of guys that I have been detecting with for a while. But on some other forums some guys have started wanting to detect with me, which is fine, but I don't like taking them to the spots that have been giving up some decent silver here recently.

You in St. Pete right now? I will be down in that area from the 21st to the 25th trying to find some gold along the coast with my Excalibur.

Well at least you've got some other people to go out with. Some is better than none! :)

Actually, I'm working at a church here in the Orlando area this whole Summer. Though I was planning on driving over to my home in St Pete from about 3pm on Sunday the 20th, until either Monday night or Tuesday night... depending on my schedule with the church. I don't have water gear... so I typically hit up the sand, but I still really enjoy it!! Let me know what you're plans are and maybe we can get together to detect.

Bran <><

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
bscofield6 said:
I did have it up until yesterday. I started posting my finds again recently and too many people have started wanting to come detect with me at the spots that I have worked hard to find.

Personally I have no issue with this, because the larger the circle the more people you have to find new places to detect.

And you have more manpower for certain things. Like just the other day I found out they are ripping up the field at a local high school soon, I don't have enough time to detect it by myself.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lasivian said:
bscofield6 said:

Personally I have no issue with this, because the larger the circle the more people you have to find new places to detect.

And you have more manpower for certain things. Like just the other day I found out they are ripping up the field at a local high school soon, I don't have enough time to detect it by myself.

The more people detecting your spots, the fewer finds there will be in the future.

I know for a fact that if I can't find silver on a regular basis I probably won't be detecting much. Take away the old coin finds and you take away the fun.

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I don't know anyone my age (39) that is into Metal Detecting. It's a sport of old men for sure. Too bad because I think it's a really great hobby. It would be even more fun if I had some others my age to hang out with. It makes joining a club less attractive when I would be the youngest member at the meetings.

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Thus anytime anyone wants to come to South Africa, bring your machines and have fun on this side of Earth, you are most welcome.

Then if you are in Mozambique, you can be employed to find Landmines, they pay very well :thumbsup:

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
where in new england are you? i'm in ri. oh, and i'm 27. know i don't look it, but... :D
aimee
incajoe said:
I don't know anyone my age (39) that is into Metal Detecting. It's a sport of old men for sure. Too bad because I think it's a really great hobby. It would be even more fun if I had some others my age to hang out with. It makes joining a club less attractive when I would be the youngest member at the meetings.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I'm 17, soon 18.
Many are fascinated by the hobby of mine but most here take it the easy way and "go with the flow."
I've many times heard people say "Awesome!", "Cool!", "OMG!" etc.
But the harsh laws makes it less popular here. :thumbsup:

Africa can you keep the Land mines to? lol :D :D :D

Bran I'm never alone, my DFX is always with me when detecting. (talk about great company!!) ;D

I don't care for hunting alone or with a partner honestly, but a gal with the same hobby would be great!!

IncaJoe the majority seems older people indeed, but not all.

roundhat

Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
I think the biggest put off is the initial cost for most younger people. well.... depending on the detector and other equipment used. My wife thinks i'm a dork when I go detecting and doesn't want to be seen with me either... my co workers think it's weird too... but i still love it. My daughter is 14 and she goes with me... she has a prizm 5 and does ok with it. my son is 6 and he is begging me to teach him. he'll get a big dose real soon lol...well anyways there are some younger people that are in to it... you just gotta look harder to find them... lol

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
incajoe said:

I'm 41 and also in NE. Now you know someone.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I read to the children in 1st and 4th grade at my wife's school in each April/May. I read a story about a boy whose dad gets hurt in the Civil War and momma has to go fetch him home. It gives me an opportunity to share my CW relics with them and get them interested in research, metal detecting and preservation.

Most kids remember me for years and ask me if I still read to the kids. Parents come to me and say that I got their kids interested in metal detecting and they blame me for their kids wanting one :-).

It's also fun to volunteer at the school and know you are sharing and helping others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread