Does anyone have any interesting plans for their clad finds?

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I have a 1.5 year old daughter and all the clad that I find is getting deposited in her bank account. I'm calling it the college fund. Last year was my first year detecting (well...since I was a kid) and I ended up with $90 in clad. I am also keeping all jewelry for the same purpose. I found quite a bit of gold and silver last year including a BIIIG 14K necklace that is worth around $1000. All of this might add up to enough to give her a good start towards college if I can keep up the pace.

I'm wondering what some of you do with your finds. Any special plans?

PS. This year I have decided to not cash in any copper pennies. I'm hanging on to those for now to see if I can scrap them for a higher return. I believe they are worth a little over $.02 at the moment. This includes any I get in change too.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
yeah inca, i'm going to buy a gallon of gas! good for you to set a fund for your baby. if you invest it right that little one will have a nice chunk by the time she is 18. i wish i was that smart when i was younger. take precious care of her. time goes by. HH Bill

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What clad? I try not to dig any.

If I'm digging clad, then I'm doing something wrong.

Of course I'm just being a dork here. :) I do dig clad quarter signals because they can add up pretty quickly.

S

stefen

Save whatever you find and continue to bank it into a college fund.

Jewelry is not worth the appraised value, however, its worth exactly what someone paid for it....Cash in hand.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Sorry to pop the bubble!\\

With inflation the way it is, your going to have enough to buy a book!

OP
OP
incajoe

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
homefires said:
Sorry to pop the bubble!\\

With inflation the way it is, your going to have enough to buy a book!

Notice how I worded it...."a good start toward college". Believe me, I don't for a second think I am going to pay for four years of college 17 years from now with my detecting finds. But money is money and whatever I end up with will certainly be appreciated I think.

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Well I am hoping that I would hit the big one and get out of debt..........or at least alot of little ones and do it. Its more satisfying than playing the lottery. Lottery is over to quick and you get the I just wasted money feeling way faster. At least with this plan I am only out a little gas and some time which I spent outdoors in the sun.

Ian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I plan to buy a car with a pallet of clad.

Actually, I just roll it and take it to the bank. I tend to only look for dimes/quarters/silver. (Yeah I know i'm missing gold rings but I HATE digging tabs)

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
surfin said:
Well I am hoping that I would hit the big one and get out of debt..........or at least alot of little ones and do it. Its more satisfying than playing the lottery. Lottery is over to quick and you get the I just wasted money feeling way faster. At least with this plan I am only out a little gas and some time which I spent outdoors in the sun.

Ian
ian, yeah! lottery tickets all over the parking lots. SOB another loser! and bam! on the ground. funny.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pfired from pfizer said:
mustang ranch........ nevada

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Thanks-I just spit all over my screen

Old Joe Confortes place has been closed for a while. Try the Moonlight or KitKat

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I have dug approximately $1200 in clad in the last year and a half... It adds up as many have said... It has all gone back into the hobby.... Bought an Se, extra coils, rods, miscellaneous stuff.

I use the jewelry finds also to help pay for added equipment...just bought a 6" Excelerator coil for the Se.... First hunt with new coil over $8 in clad with it.... I like clad... :icon_sunny:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am cashing in all my clad and buying silver with it

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I pay the Coffee club at work with my clad. All my coffee for the last few years has been "free". ;D

And of coarse the owner knows I am a paying customer because of all the "red" coins. :D I also put in wheat pennies just to keep things interesting for him. :thumbsup:

Bob

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
I usually stick them into pop machines whenever possible............see ya mark

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
incajoe said:
I'm wondering what some of you do with your finds. Any special plans?

PS. This year I have decided to not cash in any copper pennies. I'm hanging on to those for now to see if I can scrap them for a higher return. I believe they are worth a little over $.02 at the moment. This includes any I get in change too.

I have been converting all my clad finds to Silver Eagle dollars. I take my clads to the bank, get the Federal reserve notes and then go to the coin shop and buy Silver Eagles. Been doing that since 1988.

Don't turn in you gold or silver finds. Just keep them in a safe place. Don't just put the money in a bank account. You will lose value quicker than ever now that the government is printing money faster than ever. The value of those clads is falling daily just like the printed money.

Since I have been buying Silver Eagles starting in 1988, I have bought 4,822 of them with the finds I have made with my Spectrum and Bigfoot coil. Previously I was using a White's Coinmaster 2500D and then in 1991 I got the Spectrum and still use it today. I also use a Fisher 1280X that I bought in 1991 for swimming holes and I really clean up there. My best day so far in a swimming hole is $135.22 plus a few rings and jewelry that brought the total to $268.77.

I never sit on the clads. I clean them and then take them to the bank. No sense sitting on a depreciating asset.

I usually average around $20.00 a day in clads with this set up. I have been hitting all the school grounds, church properties along with hitting the sidewalk grass in the city and it has been pretty good lately for clads. I also have been hitting the beaches in Florida in the winter (on the gulf coast) and I have had some $50.00 days with clads. The Spectrum with the Bigfoot coil is better than I ever imagined. I take all the clads to the bank, get the paper money and then trade that for the Eagles. The bank tellers hate getting dirty rusted clads, so I clean them up in a tumbler.

In 1988 the price of silver was around 6 dollars an ounce and I was able to buy 3 Silver eagles for each day I was out metal detecting. Today, I can only get one. But one every day or so still ads up and you get the benefit of the price of silver going up (but not guaranteed).
Lately I have been averaging 4 silver eagles a week.

Right now I have a little over $89,000 in Silver eagles at today's spot price. Not too bad for 20 years of metal detecting. That can go up and it can go down. But I feel, and it is just my opinion, that silver is going to go up even more and could hit $40 or $50 an ounce.

Let's see..I don't like counting chickens before they hatch but...I have 4,822 of them, at say $50 an ounce, and each one is one ounce...that makes....$241,100. A whole lot better than putting the money in a bank and getting less than 2 percent with inflation at 15% and will possible go higher.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last years..

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 127