Ive got a RED HOT lead, but I need some advice how to handle it..............

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a RED HOT lead, but I need some advice how to handle it..............

Ya never know when your gonna come up with a good lead in day to day life. Before anybody second guesses this, please, when someone tells you a story in detail like this, I tend to beleive it. Buddies don't send buddies on wild goose chases, so with that said, lets say the story is real, as told to me face to face................

The Plot >>>> I was having a cup of coffee at a local restauraunt recently, and was BSing with my buddy. (I will call him Moe, not his real name) He is an avid fisherman and he knows that my interest is metal detecting, treasure hunting, looking for coins, etc, (you get the picture). I listen to his fish stories, where the big ones are biting, how many trout he catches, the big one that got away, yadda, yadda yadda. And I tell him where I like to look for coins, churchyards, picnic groves, fairgrounds, old homesteads, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda..........Old homesteads he says! he hesitates, pauses, then tells me the details........... Lets put this in perspective (names are fictional for obvious purposes, but I know the real names).

The Tale >>>>There was this old fella (who I will call Larry, and is long deceased) who lived in this house many years ago, maybe even decades (which is irrelevant at this point). Anyway, Larry was kind of an eccentric of some sort, who didn't beleive in banks, saved and buried his coins, approximately 5 buckets, on his property somewhere. Larry had a 2nd wife named Gladys who had a son named Curley. Curley and my friend Moe did alot of fishing tiogether. In their travels and discussions, Curley reveals to my friend Moe that his stepfather (Larry) burried a $hit load of coins on his property.

The Facts>>>> Larry (the eccentric), Gladys (his wife) , and Curley (Gladys' son) were the only ones who knew about the buried buckets of coins, and were never recovered. They are all dead. Now to my knowledge, the only ones who know about this NOW are my buddy Moe and Me. The house is still standing, renovated, and with new owners. I'd say there is a damn good chance that somwhere on that property there's treasure to be found. Questions..........

1. How would you handle this?
2. How would you approach the owners?
3. If I approached the current owners and explained this story to them, whats to say after I tell them they tell me to get lost? How do I protect myself?
4. Should I ask for regular permission just to go metal detecting and say nothing about the story OR
5. Should I offer a 50-50 split?

I'm excited about this, but being cautious. I'm in no rush, its not going anywhere. I'm open for answers and suggestions. Thanks................Rich

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Re: I've got a RED HOT lead, but I need some advice how to handle it..............

Just go ask for permission as usual and see how it goes? Don't mention anything about suspected finds, afterall it's only speculation anyhow.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. It seems that eccentrics were everywhere as I have heard that same story almost verbatim several times.
Good Luck

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Re: I've got a RED HOT lead, but I need some advice how to handle it............

In there travels and discussions, Curley reveals to my friend Moe that his stepfather (Larry) buried a $hit load of coins on his property.

This is the part that I always wonder about. How does Curley know about the coins, even down to how many pails?
Let's say he actually saw them get buried, so there is no doubt, why does Curley not persue this on his own, especially since the old man and wife are dead?

How long after they die, does Curley die ?

Since it's an old house, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see if you can detect the property, as you may find some interesting items anyway.

....just don't quit your day job yet. :wink:

Jay

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I've got a RED HOT lead, but I need some advice how to handle it..............

Without knowing the Mindset of the people living there now
and if they already know the story,
I would just try to get detecting permission.

from there, and your conversation with the land owners
you should be able to get a bead on the owners intrest
in your finds.
If they say in a joking way "if you
find any Gold or Treasure it's mine ;D "
You'll know, even though they are Joking at the moment
greed could set in when they see it shining in
front of them and remember telling
you that.
If they jokingly say "if you
find any Gold or Treasure we share :P " in a Joking way
they will probably stand by it in real life.

most people stand by their Spoken word
whether their word was givin as a joke or not.

But will second guess their written word
as legal. as signed under duress or misrepresentation.

as for If you come up with the Bucket(S)
That's Personal decision time.
whether to show them all or half or none.

in any case, If you find it and
show them it all, Tell us the story of what happend.

otherwise, it's probably best to keep it to yourself :wink:

you can find a self appointed Judge, Jury & Prosicutor around
every corner :coffee2:

Good Luck !
jeff

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, tough call Rich. If you find a bucket(s) it would be kind of tough to just walk out with it. I would think that the owners would want a cut. If you offer them any type of split up front they might get suspicious. Maybe not. They could also tell you not to come back and then get themselves an MD.

Hal

PS. If you need help digging let me know. I just want to finally be able to say I found some silver with my DFX. Month number 5 with it and still no silver :( :( :(

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I've got a RED HOT lead, but I need some advice how to handle it............

Saturna said:
In there travels and discussions, Curley reveals to my friend Moe that his stepfather (Larry) buried a $hit load of coins on his property.

This is the part that I always wonder about. How does Curley know about the coins, even down to how many pails?
Let's say he actually saw them get buried, so there is no doubt, why does Curley not persue this on his own, especially since the old man and wife are dead?

How long after they die, does Curley die ?

Since it's an old house, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see if you can detect the property, as you may find some interesting items anyway.

....just don't quit your day job yet. :wink:

Jay

Good questions Jay, had my curiosity too so I just called my buddy and poised those questions to him.

Curley lived in the same house with his mom and step father, nobody can substantiate anything now because everybody is dead, but since Curley lived in the same house with his stepdad who thru coins in a bucket, he surely would remember that growing up. (I know I would) Gladys and Curley died approximately 8 years ago, within a week of each other. Curly died first, then a week later Gladys died, so there would have been no reason for Curley to pursue this on his own when he was living, because he would be stealing off his stepdad and his mother. Heck, maybe he and his mom searched for them after Larry died, but didn't know where his stepfather Larry buried them anyway. Like I said, a good possibility that Curley and Gladys died before retreiving the buried buckets of coins, but told his fishing buddy Moe, who told me. (I hope I cleared things up)

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eathabs said:
Wow, tough call Rich. If you find a bucket(s) it would be kind of tough to just walk out with it. I would think that the owners would want a cut. If you offer them any type of split up front they might get suspicious. Maybe not. They could also tell you not to come back and then get themselves an MD.

Hal

PS. If you need help digging let me know. I just want to finally be able to say I found some silver with my DFX. Month number 5 with it and still no silver :( :( :(

I haven't been out either Hal, been too hot, ground is hard and dry. I seem to do better in the Sping and Autumn anyway. When it gets cooler, I'll email ya, and if you're available, we'll go up to the BS camp I've been detecting for the last 8 years. I pass thru Sunbury on the way up to Mifflinburg so no biggie........Rich

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ask permission to detect but don't mention the buckets. Deal with the owner on how to split AFTER you find the cache. No sense worrying about something that might not happen...

DCMatt

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

I agree with most everyone else on this post. Just go and ask permission, do not mention the burried buckets and then just see what happens. If you find them then you have a decision to make. If not and you find other things so be it. Either way the new owners may or may not want a piece of the action for their approval. You will have to get that all settled up before you hunt.
Good Luck.
Roy

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DCMatt said:
Ask permission to detect but don't mention the buckets. Deal with the owner on how to split AFTER you find the cache. No sense worrying about something that might not happen...

DCMatt

I like that suggestion DCMatt, sounds more reasonable. But, what if they say no to permission, then nobody knows anything, or possibly gets anything, and its over before you know it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You could also Use the Buckets as a Last Ditch Effort if they say No.

Maybe say,

"Okeedoke, Thanks anyway.
By the way,The reason I asked
... etc. Etc. ...

here's my card , If in the future
you decide you would like me to
Check around, I'm sure we could
come up with a Deal :wink: "

Even if they run to wallmart or Radio Shack
for a detector Odds are they will be lost
and Unsuccessfull & May contact you
out of the Lingering Curiosity of What If ;D

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005

I've known many people who've used cans, buckets, jars, etc. as a form of piggy bank and never buried any of it. At random intervals, at the discretion of the owner, the money is converted to paper, used to buy a toy, pay for a vacation, pay off a debt, etc. The fact that there were buckets of coins doesn't mean that they were ever buried or cached. I would just ask permission to detect the property and never mention the legend. If denied, I would just wait for a future opportunity to ask again.

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
You could also Use the Buckets as a Last Ditch Effort if they say No.

Maybe say,

"Okeedoke, Thanks anyway.
By the way,The reason I asked
... etc. Etc. ...

here's my card , If in the future
you decide you would like me to
Check around, I'm sure we could
come up with a Deal :wink: "

Even if they run to wallmart or Radio Shack
for a detector Odds are they will be lost
and Unsuccessfull & May contact you
out of the Lingering Curiosity of What If ;D

Thats a good one too Jeff, I could tease them then and say, "hey what about those buckets of silver" and then leave my card, that will get them thinking. Curiosity killed the "bat" or was it the cat? I know it would get my curiosity and get me thinking at night.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rich in Central PA said:
I know it would get my curiosity and get me thinking at night.

especially with todays economy

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft

Just go for General permission. Stipulate any major finds are 50/50. All finds will be reported. Hell invite them on the Quest.

What do you have to loose? Contract signed.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rich, keep your own counsel for a while longer and do some verifying for your own sake. Don't let your Buddy know that you're interested in Larry's treasure. The less people in on a "hunt", the better your security.

(1) Go to the Courthouse for the county that Larry's property is located in and check the tax records and land titles and verify the Larry actually owned that land. He may have owned MORE or less than you may know.

(2) Check Probate Records for any wills adjudicated after his death. They will note any monies passed on to survivors as well as creditors.

(3) Check back issues of local newspapers for any mention of Larry's activities; such as buying a new car, selling some cattle; anything that might give an idea of how he handled his money. Local papers have what is usually called "Local News" columns, that are actually gossip articles. ;D

(4) Did Larry have a police record for drunkenness; fighting; disturbing the peace; etc.

(5) If this is a SMALL town or community; find out where the locals gather for coffee and gossip and drop in sometime. An icebreaker could be, "Can y'all tell me where I can find some OLD people to talk to about local history?" Just get these folks to talking about locals and their history. Hopefully, you have a good memory because you MUST NOT take written notes or tape recordings. You DO NOT want to show any unusual interests in anything specific. Later, when you're alone, write down everything you can remember. Once you get folks talking, especially a group of seasoned citizens, shut-up, sit back, and listen closely. You can get more leads than you'll ever be able to follow up on. You might even get info letting you know your original lead is nothing but B.S.

(6) Out of curiosity, how did the folks get the money to restore the old house and property? THEY may have found Larry's caches. ;D Check THEIR backgrounds. Are they people of money, or did they come into some "sudden wealth"?

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shortstack said:
Rich, keep your own counsel for a while longer and do some verifying for your own sake. Don't let your Buddy know that you're interested in Larry's treasure. The less people in on a "hunt", the better your security.

(1) Go to the Courthouse for the county that Larry's property is located in and check the tax records and land titles and verify the Larry actually owned that land. He may have owned MORE or less than you may know.

(2) Check Probate Records for any wills adjudicated after his death. They will note any monies passed on to survivors as well as creditors.

(3) Check back issues of local newspapers for any mention of Larry's activities; such as buying a new car, selling some cattle; anything that might give an idea of how he handled his money. Local papers have what is usually called "Local News" columns, that are actually gossip articles. ;D

(4) Did Larry have a police record for drunkenness; fighting; disturbing the peace; etc.

(5) If this is a SMALL town or community; find out where the locals gather for coffee and gossip and drop in sometime. An icebreaker could be, "Can y'all tell me where I can find some OLD people to talk to about local history?" Just get these folks to talking about locals and their history. Hopefully, you have a good memory because you MUST NOT take written notes or tape recordings. You DO NOT want to show any unusual interests in anything specific. Later, when you're alone, write down everything you can remember. Once you get folks talking, especially a group of seasoned citizens, shut-up, sit back, and listen closely. You can get more leads than you'll ever be able to follow up on. You might even get info letting you know your original lead is nothing but B.S.

(6) Out of curiosity, how did the folks get the money to restore the old house and property? THEY may have found Larry's caches. ;D Check THEIR backgrounds. Are they people of money, or did they come into some "sudden wealth"?

ShortStack.....absolutely great advice, I would have to do some detective work on my own to verify all this, perhaps it may be necessary, perhaps not, but I will keep my own counsel as you said. But I can tell ya this for sure, my buddy Moe is not interested in Larry's alleged cache. Moe is disabled and up in his 60's, and not in good health, he barely can breathe (if ya catch my drift). He did say to me that he would like a piece of the action if I were to find it. If he wasn't my friend, I would just regard it as a good lead, and say thanks for the tip, but he is my friend, and I surely would give him something, its only right, thats just how I am.........Rich

Ferrous

Dec 25, 2007
Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites

Stake out their house untill they go on vacation. When you know the coast is clear, rent a backhoe and go for it. Anyone asks, tell em you are the swimming pool company. ;D ;D ;D.......Just kidden.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rich-

As KVM used to say--- remember those who've helped you along the way in your searches for caches. Moe would certainly deserve as much. And, good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread