DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While doing research for some new places to dig, I read the memoirs of a Union Civil War officer who spent most of the war in my area (northern Virginia). The letters were written at the request of his niece in about 1890. In one of them he talks about his narrow escape from capture and his adventurous romp across the Virginia countryside to return to his camp. In this account, he mentions "us".

Here's what he said:

... I should have told you that when I was captured and went to lie down by the log, I took my Sabre and belt and hid down under the log and covered them with leaves and trash. I suppose they are there yet, unless some fellow undertook to cut the log and by accident uncovered them. Thousands and thousands of dollars worth of arms and equipment are lying in the soil of the state where battles were fought to be dug up by generations yet unborn...

A man of great vision, no doubt. Wish I knew where he buried that sabre...

DCMatt

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Wow that would be a nice find. An officer sword would be so nice to have. All I can say is dig everywhere!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the sword in question... it would be sweet to actually see and hold that same sword that is in his hands in this photo!!!

Bran <><

Attachments

• hunter1.jpg
    hunter1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 225
OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
godisnum1 said:
Here's the sword in question... it would be sweet to actually see and hold that same sword that is in his hands in this photo!!!

Bran <><

Yep, that's the guy...with his sword... However, my post was more about the quote than the sword:

Thousands and thousands of dollars worth of arms and equipment are lying in the soil of the state where battles were fought to be dug up by generations yet unborn...

DCMatt

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Don't get too excited. After all this time, those thousands of arms will be just bones by now :icon_jokercolor:
Mike

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Yup DC Matt I see what your saying about the guy being a visionary. He probably found alot of discarded stuff by both union and rebel men and knew that no matter what there would be lots left unfound for many many yrs. to come. Hope you find some of those lost but not forgotten artifacts. HH TOM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions