Stupid Questions Youve Been Asked While Detecting ?

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Re: Stupid Questions You've Been Asked While Detecting ?

The funniest line I've heard was a couple weeks ago while hunting a local park. I was digging a target when a woman came by and asked what I was doing? I replied, 'Metal Detecting". And she replied, "Oh, I thought you were a city employee looking for ground moles!!!!! DUH!!!!!!

FL Junkman

Hellcat

Jul 8, 2008
Scotland
Detector(s) used
A cheap one

billohio6248 said:
How about this one. "If you find any gold rings can I have them?"

Haha, who asked this?

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

MT Pockets said:
Are you a Swinger !!!! This was asked buy a serious Swinger couple... My response..

Oh yeah I've been swinging for quite awhile now... The Coil..
MT i'm gonna shoot your bug! just kiddin, i like him. Bill

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FL Junkman said:
The funniest line I've heard was a couple weeks ago while hunting a local park. I was digging a target when a woman came by and asked what I was doing? I replied, 'Metal Detecting". And she replied, "Oh, I thought you were a city employee looking for ground moles!!!!! DUH!!!!!!

FL Junkman

Ditto that Junkman. Of course they have reason to believe I AM mole trapping when they see my truck.

Attachments

• brian.jpg
    brian.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 802

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250

"are u allowed to have that gun here?"
some girl "omg ive never seen that in my life!"
"hey have u ever found a car?"
some kid told me he finds cannons in his yard.
"if u find a gold ring its mine that i lost"
"y dont u just dig a bunch of holes till u find somthing?"
"do u ever find arrowheads with that?"
and ive had a bunch more asked too :tard:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

3 or 4 times each year I get asked about my 'geiger counter'.

The Hunter

Sep 25, 2007
Forney, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I had an older lady with a Brittish accent come up to me while I was on my knees in the middle of a soccer field and offer me money. Asked me if I need some money since I was digging for it. She was surprise when I told her I'd been at the same job for 29 years and how much I paid for my fancy coin finding maching......... We had a good laugh.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well get this. A month ago a man asked me " Are you looking for worms?"

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

Yesterday I was at a city park/elem. school when this guy walked by me and stopped and said "Is that a metal detector?" I said yeah it is. He said "What do you find with it?" I said usually loose pocket change, junk, scrap iron. He said "How much do you find in a day?" I said around 2 dollars in coins. and then here it comes! he said "Oh so it's just a hobby and not a full job for you" and all I could say was Yep! I was speechless.

The another time these three kids came up asking what we were doing at the school we were at, and this little girl thats like 3 years old asked if I had permission from the school to dig here, because she goes there. I was like whoa your like 3 yrs old and asking me if I have permission? crazy..... then they wanted to see my treasure and they begged to keep it, I was like gosh no way. But I gave each of them a penny that I dug up and they were happy.

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd

somebody asked me if i found a million dollars. i know he was just making small talk with me, but still...
at a lake some little kid asked what we were doing and we told him. then he asked if he was made of metal. ::) i ran my detector over his feet and told him nope... he followed my mom and i around for a few minutes...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT THING IN THE WOMENS ROOM?" (You didn't specify what type of detector) :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor:

Mike

B

BIG61AL

I over heard a man tell his young daughter i was looking for metal with radar!

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

I had this shady lookin character walk straight up to me from far off and get on the ground and start doing pushups right next to me... i guess i was in his spot at the park that he worked out at every morning... he didnt say a word to me, just started up his workout and after about 40 min. he left. He looked kinda scary so I was keeping my eye on him.. I must be paranoid but it was really early and I was all alone at this little park near nowhere. I held on to my digger pretty tight. lol :coffee2:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

spisswgt said:
I had this shady lookin character walk straight up to me from far off and get on the ground and start doing pushups right next to me... i guess i was in his spot at the park that he worked out at every morning... he didnt say a word to me, just started up his workout and after about 40 min. he left. He looked kinda scary so I was keeping my eye on him.. I must be paranoid but it was really early and I was all alone at this little park near nowhere. I held on to my digger pretty tight. lol :coffee2:

That's certainly an odd one!

I'll quickly bounce off on a new tangent when other users of the public facilities make their needs apparent, as it is their foolishness, or misfortune that I act upon...

Yet it was only a few weeks ago that I took offense when a nice lady informed me her group had in fact reserved the WHOLE park to the exclusion of all others, AND, some of her little girls might be distressed by my presence.

I very politely advised her we'd need to have a serious discussion with the county board of supervisors, and, perhaps, if she was responsible for the care of young folks more disturbed than those from the state hospital I am occasionally in contact with, she may have selected the wrong venue for her function being held in a public place.

Guess I got what I deserved!
A quick sweep of the separate area I was interested in got me very little, and I wasn't about to intrude in their organized functions encompassing other areas... I left!

One person, who was not concerned enough to get upp from her lounge chair had asked me if I was park personnel, earlier... I only lied by omission, when I did not reply.

In the end, all I did was scan a sandy volleyball court... they had the totlot packed! NOT good for me

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250

So its funny how no one has really talked to me while i MD and I posted the thing about the shady character and then today I decided to go out later in the morning than usual... wow... i think i'll stick to going detecting at around 5:30am-8:00am. I was like the Pied Piper today... except instead of rats following me it was kids at the park following the guy with the magic stick... I got asked literally a hundred questions and I cant even remember them all. I love kids but it was actually mentally draining to try and hunt and talk to all these kids at the same time. One lady gave me a wierd look and asked if i've gotten rich yet.. she looked annoyed that I was in the sand in the park near all the slides and stuff.. I said, "No.. All I seem to find is glass and these rusty nails, (as i held up an enormous sharp nail i found) which I throw away so the kids dont step on them. After that she let up and almost seemed really happy that I was there cleaning up. Oh and all I found today was a small firetruck, and a speed racer car toy from mcdonalds. Not to mention a ton of bobbie pins, pull-tabs and nails.

midnightcaller

Apr 13, 2005
Snohomish Area
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab

I was asked one time by a 7yr old kid if I was a poorman because I was looking for money

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250

if he only knew how much your whites and minelab cost... his eyes would bug out of his head :tongue3:

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

flyinguy said:
seas1to2 said:
while water hunting been asked...is that waterproof, are you looking for sea shells, does that locate clams. will that thing shock you if you touch it while in the saltwater.does it find only metal or will it find gold also,I shold have wrote down alll the things I have been ask over the past 2 years some were hard to believe but I have always tried to answer with a straight face.
locate clams? great idea! i love clams!

Considering the mercury content in some seafood it just might, heh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread