how to clean coins

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
There are several methods such as a peroxide bath. I would not clean anything unless its absolutely necessary. You run the risk of ruining your coins. There have been many posts dedicated to this process.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another touchy topic here. Some say never clean a valuable coin, others clean everything. My question is "How do you know it is valuable if you cannot tell what it is?" I always try to ID a coin I find, by first rinsing in water and a little gentle rubbing. Some put them into pill bottles with cotton or water and soap. Why, to prevent scratching and oxidizing ( air is not a recovered coins friend). Out of the field I try a little soap and water with a soft tooth brush. Hope fully by this time I know what I have. As a note I know that a large percentage of coins I find will not grade or are the lowest grade given for appraisals of coins. Another way to say it is almost all coins I have found are not worth a lot. If I ever suspected they were I would get professional help with there cleaning.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I would say if you find something of exceptional value and you intend to sell it, send it to a professional.

If you're dead-set against that a looooong soak in olive oil or distilled water, changing it when it gets dirty would be the least likely to do any harm. Make sure you don't rub the dirt off, you'll leave tiny scratches.

Mind you the more valuable the coin and the better it's condition under the dirt might be, the more cautious you have to be.

If you just want them to look decent for your own display you can be alot rougher than a museum conservator would be.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The proper way to clean coins, especially gold coins, is with a wire grinding wheel. That'll shine them up real good! If you don't have an industrial wire wheel, another way to do it is this: Take some 2-sided tape. Tape the coin to your car's tire. Drive around the block a few times, and PRESTO! It'll be nice and shiny :thumbsup:

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Tom_in_CA said:
The proper way to clean coins, especially gold coins, is with a wire grinding wheel. That'll shine them up real good! If you don't have an industrial wire wheel, another way to do it is this: Take some 2-sided tape. Tape the coin to your car's tire. Drive around the block a few times, and PRESTO! It'll be nice and shiny :thumbsup:

**CRINGE** It's really not nice of you to make a grown man cry :wink:

OP
OP
spisswgt

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
lol i thought he was serious for a minute... i was like what the heck is this guy smoking and is it legal?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions